PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL In quick-time?

flickoff
17th Feb 2003, 20:06
Another thread here is looking at getting a UK PPL in 3 weeks stateside, and it set me awondering, is it practical for a moderate houred UKPPL (700) to get an FAA PPL from a standing start in a couple of weeks holiday in the US? I don't just mean the airman ticket thing but the proper stand alone lisense.

Thought this might be good insurance come the day when the CAA/JAR become to much hassle to bother with!:}

rosewellian
17th Feb 2003, 21:21
I did exactly this in july 2001, scheduled one week to have stand alone FAA Private certificate. Did home study for written prior to departure. Arrived Massacheutusess (excuse spelling) sat evening. Went to flight school sunday brushed up on writtens booked written test for tuesday, did flight training Sun Mon, Tues, total approx 4 hours Weds wx no good for test so postphoned one day, passed flight test Thursday. Friday rented 172 and flew to Cape Cod, spent 2nd week of hols at Oshkosh. Having said all that a lot will depend on your currency when you arrive and how well you adjust to the pacy RT. I went to a good school with a very good instructor and the weather was basically kind. :D

Keef
17th Feb 2003, 22:26
Yes, did it last year. The writtens were no big problem (get the Gleim books, learn them). The oral is TOUGH. Get the ASA oral exam guide and learn THAT by heart.

I'd gone over there to do an IR, and maybe a CPL if time permitted. I abandoned the idea of the CPL, and did the PPL in about three days from a standing start. If you have 700 hours, you should find the flying a breeze: there are a few maneuvers (sic) to learn but they aren't hard.

I did mine at Naples, and can't recommend them highly enough.

Hufty
18th Feb 2003, 13:09
No problem at all. They do insist on a longer qualifying X/C than in the UK (this might have changed recently though) but with 700 hours you should have something in there you can use. Need night hours too.