PDA

View Full Version : Motorglider down, 2 dead

poetpilot
16th Feb 2003, 08:14
Teletext local news (NW) reporting two died yesterday when a motorglider crashed on takeoff from the gliding site at Chipping, Lancashire. Scant details I'm afraid, but obviously sincere condolences go out to the bereaved friends and families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2766817.stm

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Feb 2003, 13:02
Very sad ndeed, and on such a super day, as well. 5 knots of wind, unlimited viz, warm sunshine with not a cloud in the sky,
and the air so smooth. And cold, so the engine develops max power, the wings max lift, and flying controls max 'bite'.

I was not far away from there - aerobatting the Chippy up near
Pendle Hill (watching for the Sabden witches who would surely be out on their broomsticks on such a day), with the snow-capped Cumbrian mountains clearly visible to the north. Back south, with the Welsh coast, Anglesey, and Cader Idris clear as crystal.

I have also flown in a K13 from the site. Condolences to those left behind. It took the edge off the day when I heard this sad news.

SSD

PS - Poet, if SL continues to perform as she did yeaterday, we'll re-plan that trip soon?

poetpilot
16th Feb 2003, 13:28
Thanks SSD, I too was airborne in G-OPET just around the time this occurred, flying over to Crosland Moor. I think I may have seen you departing Barton as I was preflighting.

What a perfect day, prob. the best this winter up our end of the country, such a shame it was marred by this tragedy.

Happy to go up in 'SL once you're happy with it.

Centralize
16th Feb 2003, 18:56
I flew with one of the chaps quite alot about 10 years ago.

RIP DR

Negative 'G'
16th Feb 2003, 19:05
Deepest condolences to all connected with this terrible accident.

I have many happy memories of the friendly club at Chipping but have unfortunately lost touch with people there for at least 8 years, if anyone knows the names of the two unfortunate souls, It would be much appreciated if you could either post on here or PM me

RIP:sad:

Neg G

poetpilot
17th Feb 2003, 07:05
Again, from the BBC local news website.....
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Two people who were killed when their glider crashed in Lancashire have been named by police.

Pilot Martin Moss, 55, and passenger David Rukin, 44, both from Lancashire, died when the glider crashed shortly after taking off.

An investigation was under way on Sunday after the craft came down in a field on Saturday afternoon.

The accident happened just before 1330 GMT at the Bowland Forest Gliding Club in Chipping, north-east of Preston.

Self-propelled model
---------------------------

Mr Moss, of Penwortham, Preston, and Mr Rukin, of Whalley, near Clitheroe, were both members of the club.

Air accident investigators are examining the wreckage of the glider, which was owned by the club.

A Lancashire Police spokesman confirmed the two people were pronounced dead at the scene.

He said: "The glider was a self-propelled model, which collided with the ground shortly after take-off, killing both male pilots.

'Good friends'
------------------

"The air ambulance attended with a doctor, but both pilots, who were from the Chipping area, were confirmed dead at the scene."

Club chairman Phil Atkinson said: "The police and Air Accident Investigation Board are here now and they are examining the scene.

"It is still too early to say what happened."

Mr Atkinson described the dead men as "very good friends".