PDA

View Full Version : Calcton Aero Club

Grob Driver
13th Feb 2003, 14:54
Hello,

Has anyone out there even been on the tailwheel course offered by Clacton Aero Club?

I’m thinking of getting a tailwheel conversion, and would appreciate any thought that you have on the above establishment!

Many thanks

Grob Driver

Kingy
13th Feb 2003, 15:31
I did the course a few years ago - Im sorry, but I was not impressed.

Wheelers, flapless, glide and slip approaches were not covered in my 1.5 hrs dual time, so I amused myself with these things when doing my 3.5 hrs solo time..

I love any flying but this was not the best five hundred quid I've ever spent.

As for the accommodation - think 1960's seaside guest house!

Kingy

BlueRobin
13th Feb 2003, 15:45
Okay, my personal opinion

Good points

Flying a Cub
Chris the CFI
Do the farmstrip stuff as well - you'll love it
First tailwheel solo was like the first solo
Your handling improves, i.e. in aeroplane and on short strips/grass
Friendly/informal

Bad points
Slots can be interspersed so *possibly* you have to wait 1.5 hours in the club for the next one
Ms McDonald the part-time female instructor (Chris was a tad miffed when we criticaly examined her instructing with me)
Accommodation cheap and freindly at £12/night. You could find elsewhere but can you be bothered?

I did most things Kingy didn't bar wheelers. Make sure you go when the weather's good so exercises aren't chopped off the list. IN short, it's a good intro to tailwheel but not the be all and end all. That experience comes with dedicated tailwheel flying.

The Inspector
13th Feb 2003, 17:41
Grob Driver,

Have you considered the Tiger Club @Headcorn?? They have a 90hp PA-18 Super Cub for hire, which is not only cheaper than a 150hp version, but doesnt have a starter or flaps, so every flight is a flapless landing and you may even get to learn the tecniques of hand swinging. (Check out the website www.tigerclub.co.uk)

Not only will you learn the finer points of flying a tailwheel aeroplane, but will also have access afterwards to a whole range of interesting types to practice on, such as the Tiger Moth and Stampe. If you are lucky enough to fly with some of the clubs senior pilots, you may even be taken to some 'very short' farm strips (Not Hairyplane's Garden I might add!). Even if you just use the short grass runway, 04/22, you will feel like you're operating from a farm (Mind the llamas........)

BlueRobin
14th Feb 2003, 08:21
If you're interested, I have some photos here of my visit.

http://www.pbase.com/neilgascoigne/clacton

The Beagle (read Auster) was a visitor (it's based on the same strip as Hairyplane's Robin)

P.S. Farmstrip course...if you do this, you realise the short strip capability the Cub has even when loaded down with heavy pilot and instructor.

As for getting the most out of the experience, remember you are the pilot now with that PPL, not the student. If the instructor has missed something, ask and do it! Don't be a baby :D

stiknruda
14th Feb 2003, 10:15
Did the course 11 years ago and enjoyed it - it was money well spent in those days! circa £550 for 8.5 hrs of flying.

Did wheelers and flapless and it gave me confidence to join an Aeronca syndicate straight afterwards.

The place was crawling with top totty, too!

Stik

Prof Denzil Dexter
14th Feb 2003, 19:59
Stik,

Top totty at Clacton? Last top totty I saw there was the lovely Hilary...........Where is she now?