PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of a long road!!

busz
10th Feb 2003, 19:51
Well, as i will begin my flying training this summer, i thought i could do worse than register with pprune. In June i will be going to Florida to start traing for my PPL. This is my first step towards becoming a pilot, and it seems from reading posts on this forum that the road will be long and hard. I have signed up to complete my PPL at Orlando Flight Training, as after reading comments on here and taking into account my needs/budget, this seemed the best place place to go. I am just writing this post in order to ask what i should expect when i get to Florida, what the flight school is like and what things i may need that i will probably forget. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

P.s I will be flying on the best plane across the Atlantic, BMI A330.:O

FREDA
10th Feb 2003, 20:27
Good luck alex!
i started and finished my PPL in the US last summer, albeit at OBA, and enjoyed it immensly. bit annoying being 20 and constantly getting thrown out of bars in daytona but it was worth it! saying that, it will be hard work, and my advice would be to budget to stay at the flying club from 9 to 5, even if ur not timetabled to fly or wx'd off, and get the ground exams out the way asap ( the day after the lectures u get for each one if u can) . human performance u could do the day u arrive, as i did, as it is pretty much common sense, although a PPL confuser before u go wouldnt hurt. other than that, dont be afraid to ask questions, and especially dont hesitate to talk to ATC if u need it, they are well aware of the amount of UK students buzzing about and will make ur cross countries a breeze. drop in at flagler (if u do any night flying) and grab a steak from the restaurant there, u wont be disappointed.
so overall ; expect flying times from 6am, and lotsa late finishes, but you will enjoy it, especially after going solo when u get the keys thrown at you for first few completely solo flights :D

EnglishmaninNY
10th Feb 2003, 21:12
Hi Alex

You'll have a superb time. Enjoy the flying, and stay safe. Flying in the US is a lot of fun! Have a great time in Florida.

EiNY ;)

Jelly Doughnut
10th Feb 2003, 22:12
Hi Alex, good luck!

The road can be difficult but just remind yourself not to give up!

Just over 3 years ago I was in the same position as your are now ... and I have just passed the interviews for my first airline job.

It is the best profession in the world - enjoy the view and fly safe :D
JD

extrakt
11th Feb 2003, 03:05
have a great time, make sure you go to Tampa and order some ribs :cool:
I you get bored flying (prob. not), you can always tune in Okeechobee NDB and enjoy "good" music..

have fun:=

carbonfibre
11th Feb 2003, 16:35
Also while your there go to sharkys in venice great food , nice beach and women

Key west is amust also see if you can go in a bunch overnight, but remember work first

Have a good one

MJR
12th Feb 2003, 09:44
I would budget for some familiarisation and check flights when you come back, as some people are unpleasantly surprised by the differences between US and UK PPL flying.

Have a nice time

MJR

Fly Stimulator
12th Feb 2003, 10:39
busz,

Since you've got a few months before you go, why not suss out your local flying clubs (if you haven't already) and find one where you feel comfortable to fly and hire from when you get back. I'd recommend that you then get at least some of the exams out of the way with them first; that way you reduce your workload in Florida and also start to build a relationship with the club you'll be flying with once you have your licence.

The exams aren't too bad, but there is a lot of studying to do to assimilate all the material and if you're on an intensive course anyway you may be glad of the chance to relax in the evenings rather than just go home and study.

Good luck anyway!

busz
12th Feb 2003, 22:07
THanks very much for all of your replies. Lots of useful info. As i am only 18, although i am old enough to drink here in the UK, i wont be able to touch anything in the USA. However, as i am going to study and get my PPL, that doesn't bother me. Im not a big drinker neway.:suspect:
Im now waiting for all the paper work for the visa to come through and then it is down to the embassy in London.

On a side note, does anyone have any opinions about the Lancashire Aero Club at Barton as this is my local club, and probably where i will fly.

Thanks again for your replies.:D

Alex

Grob Driver
13th Feb 2003, 15:42
Hi Busz,

I can recommend sharkys at Venice too… You’ll have a great time!

Check your private message box… I’ve sent you something!

Cheers

Grob Driver

PPPPP
13th Feb 2003, 16:10
---"On a side note, does anyone have any opinions about the Lancashire Aero Club at Barton as this is my local club, and probably where i will fly."----

I'm doing a PPL there and found it to be excellent. The combination of traffic and short grass strips has led me to see anything over 500m as unnecessarily long:)
Instructors are first-rate and there is a good clubhouse onsite.

Highly recommended.