PDA

View Full Version : UK Flying Hols (with kids)

Monocock
7th Feb 2003, 08:41
I have finally persuaded the wife that a good week can be had by all if we take the Cherokee and spend a week touring in the summer.

The kids are 4 and 2 (they fly with me regularly) and I was wondering if anyone has done such a jaunt, and if so, some advice on good stopovers etc. We live and fly regularly in Central South so were planning on heading northwards from the outset. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

A French tour would have been MY ideal option, but 'er indoors has nightmares about the water with 2 kids and one exit door which I can understand.

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Feb 2003, 12:06
Monocock

Lucky man!

Never managed to persuade better half to do tour like this. So count your blessings.

Could do worse than stopping off at Sywell for either lunch or overnight stop.

Plenty to see as it is usually fairly busy in the summer. Excellent resto in pretty ambiance. The motel is fine and has a few familyrooms (IIRC 65 per night)

Caernarfon is nice too, short taxiride from the town and close to the beach.

Wellesbourne and Cambridge are only short taxirides to Stratford and Cambridge town.

Never been to Kirkbride [sp] before but the Hotel is next to the runway and you park your mount in the carpark. Food is reportedly good.

Have fun and make sure you take enough crayons and colouring books!

:eek:

FD

Davidt
7th Feb 2003, 13:44
1) Shobdon Herefordshire nice club atmosphere excellent fry up and pretty country side

2)Sleap Shropshire same as above

3)Barton Manchester good club facilities close to Town and Trafford Centre dont be afraid of low level corridor

4)Oban you would be hard pushed to beat the welcome

5)Sherborne in Elmet as 1 and 2

6) York Rufforth send her off sight seeing round Minster whilst you go gliding

Avoid Leeds/Bfd, Newcastle GA hostile
Have fun:rolleyes:

Jolly Tall
8th Feb 2003, 17:40
Davidt, why do you think Leeds/Bradford is GA hostile. Not so in my experience, although there may be an issue with ground handling charges for non locally-based GA (see Flyer forum). Whether you would want to land at LBA is another matter, but the Yorkshire Dales look great from the air, as does the area to the Northeast of Leeds.

And if you go anywhere near York or Sherburn you are likely to receive a radar/FIS service from Leeds approach, particularly at weekend. I have never known them to be anything but curtious and efficient, although they are sometimes busy with commercial traffic.

North Wales must be pretty good to see also, though I've not done it myself from the air. Have a great time wherever you go.

Keef
8th Feb 2003, 19:18
Depending on how far you want to go...

There is some fabulous scenery to be seen in Scotland. Oban is a great airfield (no restaurant, but couldn't be more welcoming). There is water to cross for some of the places to visit, but most of it you can do within gliding distance.

Prestwick is friendly, and if you arrange to be "handled" by the flying club, not expensive.

Islay is a fabulous place - I'm hoping to get Mrs Keef up there this year some time.

I'd reckon you could put together a great trip from the suggestions on here. Don't forget Cardiff (again, use the flying club as "handling").

Fuji Abound
9th Feb 2003, 11:24
Monocock - where are you starting from?

If you can take in the south west here is an idea - head first for St Mawgan or Perranporth. Either are close to Newquay and other lovely beaches, half an hour takes you to the Eden exhibition and there is the theme park for the kids. Maybe spoil yourself if you like seafood and go to Rick Steins. There is a large variety of local hotels. If you can persuade her in doors carry on tothe the Scilly Isles - its only a short hop over the sea for the interesting landing or if you cant persuade her lands end which has a good exhibition for the kids. If you havent been to Scilly Isles and want to go maybe on to Plymouth and treat them to a helicopter ride over the water. Again plenty to do for a few days in Plymouth. All in a good round trip for a week - hope it is of interest - let me know if you want any more info.