PDA

View Full Version : Piper Pawnee

Grob Driver
6th Feb 2003, 22:28
Hi guys…

Piper Pawnee’s…. Has anyone got anything to say about them?

I know that’s a bit of an open question, but I’m curious to know what people think of them. There’s one parked in the hangar at my local flying club, and I’d love to be able to get my hands on it! (Although it’s only a dream… there is little chance of it becoming reality!)

I’ve been reading an article in today’s pilot, but I don’t think it give much away! Apart from that it’s built like a tractor, got plenty of power, and is great from towing gliders!

One thing I was wondering…. Is it aerobatic? I was thinking that it must be pretty agile if it was designed as a crop sprayer… Would that be true?

Well, any comments would be appreciated!

Happy landings
Grob Driver
:D :D

Monocock
7th Feb 2003, 08:24
Must admit, I've always wanted to get my hands on one for a couple of hours.

Sorry, can't help you Grob

BlueRobin
7th Feb 2003, 09:17
Well, you can see the Cub heritage. The Pawnee is single-seat only though, which is difficult for gliding schools who acqure it as a new type. How do you teach the tuggies?

Hope you can convince the owner you are competant enough to take his baby up on your lonesome ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Feb 2003, 09:42
I'm pretty sure they are not aerobatic - not stressed for it, though probably quite agile. Never heard of one doing aeros.

SSD

MLS-12D
7th Feb 2003, 14:02
There was a decent article on the Pawnee in one of the UK flying magazines a couple of years ago. I have it at home and will try to remember to look up the issue number so that you can track it down if you wish to do so.

I have never flown a Pawnee, so can't give you any firsthand advice. I have been towed by them a few times, and certainly the climb rate is extremely impressive.

Everyone that I have talked to says that the Pawnee is very easy to fly. I wouldn't imagine that it is all that difficult for gliding clubs to solo tow pilots, assuming of course that the latter are experienced on tailwheel airplanes. After all, most high performance sailplanes are single seaters, and that doesn't usually prove an obstacle for check-outs.

These are the comments of someone I know who has flown the airplane: "The Pawnee... it was my first single seat airplane checkout. I had gotten quite used to having lots of dual before going solo in a new plane. It was a bit intimidating but fun. It IS a great tow plane. It climbs like a beast and descends even faster. The cockpit looks tiny from the outside but it is huge inside - the rudder pedals are so wide apart it feels like a mac truck. I have only ever flown it the once without a glider on tow. The climb angle I remember was ridiculous. Even with a twin grob with two on board it climbs fast."

MLS-12D

P.S. I would be very surprised to learn that the Pawnee is aerobatic.

squawking 7700
7th Feb 2003, 16:42
Grob Driver, do you mean the 'thing' in the corner of the hangar at
Sturgate?.................it's not a Pawnee! it just looks like one.
Apparently it's an extremely rare ag-plane but I can't remember the name.

Ask someone at Sturgate.

Squawking 7700

Grob Driver
7th Feb 2003, 16:54
7700.... It's NOT a Pawnee.... Well, how stupid do I look!!!! Doh! :( :( I do wonder what it is then... It looks just like a Pawnee to me. Oh well, I'm at the club tomorrow, so I'll ask the question!

Still, keep the info coming guys! I'm going to get my hands on one, some day! Don’t know where, and I don’t know when, but it will happen (I hope!).

Might be re-titling this post though... At least so that we are all talking about the same aircraft! :*

Just out of interest, does anyone on here know what it is... the yellow 'thing' in the corner of the hangar at Sturgate that looks like a Pawnee! I tell you... It's identical, but I bow to your superior knowledge 7700!

Happy lanings

Grob Driver
(Wanabie pawnee driver!, and An2 driver, and Auster driver, and Chipmunk driver!! Oh the list goes on, and on!)

MLS-12D
7th Feb 2003, 18:50
Several other ag airplanes (Air Tractor, Dromader, Ag Husky, Weatherly) look a little like a Pawnee, superficially at least.

If you are determined to fly the Pawnee, it should not be that difficult or expensive if you follow these steps:
(1) learn to fly tailwheel;
(2) get accepted as a tow pilot at your local gliding club;
(3) build up experience on a Supercub, Citabria or similar tow plane;
(4) track down a glider club with a Pawnee, volunteer there, and impress them with your past experience.

atb1943
7th Feb 2003, 21:33
Hallo, it's possibly IMCO Callair A.9A G-TDFS, registered since 30 Nov 1967, ex-G-AVZA.
(Good old LAAS Brit Isles Civil Register!)
cheers

Chuck Ellsworth
8th Feb 2003, 04:06
The Pawnee came in three flavours.

150 HP....the origional.

235 hp the second version with a derated Lyc.0-540 carbuourated.

The Brave with a Lyc. 300hp.

I flew the 150 hp Pawnee, it was underpowered I then bought the first 235 Pawnee that was used in Canada C-FNVY. it was a wonderful little Ag. plane and I used it for several years in my company.

It was not aerobatic in any way, way to much profile drag especially with all the spray gear on it. Very easy to fly once you got used to looking at the long nose.

Cat Driver.

Double Asymmetric
8th Feb 2003, 08:35
Not all Pawnees are single seat. Pawnee endorsments (or glider-tug ratings) can be accomplished on a two seat Pawnee...in reality 1.5 seats :rolleyes: you sit side by side and hope you don't smell as much as the guy you are pushed up against. Good fun though!!!

Fast Erect
8th Feb 2003, 09:14
The Sturgate machine is indeed a Callair.
Never seen it turn a wheel in years.

perrepilot
8th Feb 2003, 12:37
One of the towing guys at my gliding club said as he had his checkride on our Pawnee:
"It's just like flying a space shuttle. Makes a noise like hell and goes straight to heaven!" :D

To get a towing rate here in Norway you've got to fly 10 solo starts in the glider behind. To be checked out on our Pawnee you only need a tailwheel rate.

PP

Legalapproach
8th Feb 2003, 15:18
Have done some tugging in the Pawnee - great fun, goes up like a lift. I can well imagine that you can squeeze two into the cockpit which feels enormous. The long nose and power makes you imagine that you are flying something akin to a warbird.

How to get your hands on one? The club I tugged at used Condors but on occasions would borrow a Pawnee if busy. One day the Pawnee was in use and the owner asked if I fancied flying it. I was given a famil of the cockpit, run through of speeds and settings and off I went for a couple of circuits without a glider on the back. Converting to a single seat type is not difficult if you have a reasonable amount of experience.

Chuck Ellsworth
8th Feb 2003, 16:19
You can definately get two in a Pawnee, I used to carry my workbench with me when changing locations, she never complained.

Fly United. :D :D

Cat driver:

Skylark4
8th Feb 2003, 18:12
I saw one at Bicester a year or so back that was in the midst of a rebuild. Fuz was totally naked whith the hopper in situ. It seemed totally illogical to put that back in when it would have been so easy to replace it with a couple of seats and a little door so that you could at least carry your partner or whatever when changing sites. Technically simple, administratively (CAA)........................

Mike W

Grob Driver
9th Feb 2003, 16:16
Well, speak of the devil and it will appear!!

Went down to Sturgate today and what was sat outside… piper Pawnee (G-BFEV)!

What a great looking machine! Doesn’t look to be much room in there for two though… It must be a bit of a squeeze?

As for the Pawnee look-alike at Sturgate… yep Fast Erect… you were right… A Call Air A9. Looks bigger than the Pawnee that might be because it was indoors? Anyway, they both look great aircraft to fly. I’m going to get myself a tail dragger ticket, get a few hours and then try and persuade someone to let me fly one! Maybe Trent valley Gliding club needs someone to help fly EV!
:D :D

Wireless
10th Feb 2003, 15:55
I was full time Pawnee driver at a gliding club once. It was a PA 25-235. I first flew it with a glider on the back to tame it down.

Flying the Pawnee without a glider is definately like flying a shuttle. It really does go up quickly. It's kind of like an aerial truck. Pilots needed 100 hours P1 time to fly ours for insurance reasons. I think this is the norm due to the hp. Most guys started on a Sup Cub or Husky then moved onto the PA- 25. The hopper in ours stank of thymol from it's spraying days.

Great aircraft, great fun. The doors leaked badly if it rained though!

Bill

LowNSlow
10th Feb 2003, 17:28
There was a Pawnee that could be rented for £100/hour at Swanton Morley. The last time I saw it it was looking very sorry for it self as some clot tried taxiing with the brakes on and turned the v. expensive 4-blade Hoffman prop into a bunch of splinters.

I assume it moved to Shipdam when the Swanton residents decamped there.

Davidt
11th Feb 2003, 17:15
The Gliding club at Rufforth York has two Pawnees, not far from Sturgate!

Good luck

knobbygb
15th Feb 2003, 11:20
There was a Pawnee in bits in the hangar at Sherburn for months last year. Not sure if it's still there so I'll ask - don't think it's actually based there so it may be one of those mentioned above.

john_tullamarine
16th Feb 2003, 02:26
For those who have not towed with the 150 Pawnee ... don't bother .. it's not exciting ... actually it is exciting, but for all the wrong reasons.

The big brother Pawnee and the CallAir are both great fun (even if the A9's ailerons didn't do much at low speed on approach ... ) and I echo the thoughts of earlier posts.... long time ago now .. but still great memories of towing ...

skippyscage
19th Feb 2003, 03:34
best flying I ever did

235hp PA25 Hutenson Conversion

no flaps and alerons nearly down to the wing root made this a very sharp aircraft to fly (even with loads of liqud in the hopper)

sturdy too! one of the guys I was flying with grounded out while spraying, but didn't crash and still landed ok with one side of the under-carrage bungies snapped