PDA

View Full Version : PPL In The States

LOOP2STAND1
26th Jan 2003, 19:46
Got a friend who is looking to head to the US to gain his JAA PPL and looking for advice/info on schools (Florida).

Any advice / info / comments / Recommendations from people who have been through this process will be greatly appreciated.

FRIDAY
26th Jan 2003, 21:14
Naples in Florida are good, been there and not much complaints about them, be careful with alot of others though as there is very few schools worth the trip.

Obediah
30th Jan 2003, 08:27
I would definitely reccomend Naples. It is a nice, well run school with pleasant instructors and good clean and well maintained aircraft. The weather is usually pretty good and there are plenty of challenges to be had in S Florida. Looking for a suitable place to land whilst carrying out a practice engine failure springs to mind. There is often nothing but swamp!! The airport itself is a joy to fly from but is sometimes extremely busy especially around Friday lunchtime when all the corporate/private jets are arriving/departing. There are plenty of facillities in the area for practicing ILS approaches (which are free of course in the states like most other flying/landing fees). If you are brave (read MAD) enough you can even land a Cessna 152 at Miami International, although they do charge for this as it tends to hold up the normal traffic somewhat!

They are one of the few schools that are approved by US immigration to sort out the visa requirements for students. You would still have to fill in all the forms, go to the interview etc. but they send you the actual yellow I-20M that you need to enter the States on. You actually need this form before you can apply for a visa so you need to contact your prospective school quite a while before you think about training start dates. Be aware that the visa application process can take a while, 6 weeks is not uncommon.

By the way I am in no way connected with Naples Air Center, it's just that I've had the pleasure of flying there and would go back in an instant.

Obs.:D

BRL
30th Jan 2003, 11:20
You are kidding right????????
If not a search, using FLorida as the keyword brings up hundreds of threads all about it. Click HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=238868&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) to start.........

Cusco
30th Jan 2003, 21:17
Less of the irony BRL

A quick glance at L2S1's post will tell you that he has only been registered for a month and may not know his way around pprune as well as you with your 1400 posts and 2yrs plus membership.

I'm still getting to grips with the intricacies of pprune.

His was a reasonable request.

L2S1:

I have experience of Naples Air Center not for PPL but I spent a pleasant 2 weeks a year ago doing the FAA/IR.

During that time I came into contact with several Brits at various stages of PPL and they all were very impressed , as was I with the general running of the setup.

The Owners , Richard and his wife Nikki (a Brit herself) were friendly, helpful and welcoming from the start, and have a large fleet of (mostly Cessnas) aircraft.

There are a couple of Warriors and Arrers, thought the latter won't concern your friend.

The area is fabulous: hotel accomodation cheap (the school also has appartments for self catering to rent: I'm too old for that stuff!)

There are bi gairports/small airfields nearby and some amazing eateries.

So while I can say nothing about the myriads of other flying school
s in Florida, NAC deserves serious consideration: they will even fly down to Opaloka near Miami to pick you up and you can log it.

You must read Richards sticky above and follow it to the letter.

Also consider the seasons.

WE went in Feb/March 2002 when the weather was upper 70s but still plenty of IMC for real.(which is what we wanted for IR)

Later in the year is better , but avoid the Hurricane/thunderstorm/high humidity season july-oct.

But most of all tell your friend to go for it.

Safe flying

Cusco

:hmm:

notice
30th Jan 2003, 22:42
This isn't from the Naples Website or me but..

PPRuNe Forums » Flight Deck Forums » Wannabes » ppl within 21 days??

Pages (2): 1 2 »
Author Topic: ppl within 21 days??
finals40
Just another number

Click here to order your Personal Title

posted 27th January 2003 14:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ppl within 21 days??
Hi there. I am wanting to travel to the U.S this summer to embark upon a PPL course. My problem is I only have around 21 days to finish it. I am very interested in AAA or Ormond. I am aware that saftey comes first and that schools would rather you invest in a few more hours to complete the package with over 45 hours, but the prob I have is I have only enough money for the magic 45 hours. Assume I work very hard at AAA is it possible to pass within the preset course hours of 45?

Also any other info on AAA training would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Report this post to a moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 21 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2001 | Status: Offline | IP: Logged

the kebabman
Just another number

posted 27th January 2003 16:25

kebabman

Report this post to a moderator

Posts: 17 | From: Oxford | Registered: Sep 2002 | Status: Offline | IP: Logged

Speedbird19
Just another number

posted 27th January 2003 18:02

BRL
31st Jan 2003, 18:53
Cusco and notice please check your PM's :)