PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training in South West

VFR800
24th Jan 2003, 18:46
Hello Flying chums, a quick question for you. I used to fly at Bristol & Wessex Aeroplane Club at Bristol Airport, did about 40 hours, right up to cross-country qualifier. However this was about 3 years ago under the old CAA PPL. Now it's all gone JAA shaped, I want to get back into flying, but having checked BWAC's details on Flyer, they seem to be jolly expensive!

I've spotted BCT at Kemble (which is near-ish to where I work) seem to be reasonably priced, anyone got any ideas as to what they're like?

As I only did the Air Law exam previously, I realize I'm going to have to do all the exams again, but will all my previous flying still count?

Advice mucho appreciated.

keeders
24th Jan 2003, 20:56
I passed my PPL last year with Aeros who are based at Gloucester and Filton.

Try this.....

http://www.aeros.co.uk/

I was pleased with the training, the instructors were good albeit, the prices slightly on the high side.

Mail me if you'd like more info.

Keeders

Kingy
24th Jan 2003, 22:20
Try Phil Mathews, CFI at Cotswold Aero Club. They are based at Gloucester and Phil must be one of the most experienced instructors in the country with 11000 hrs logged all on light A/C. Held in high regard by many - he even managed to get me through the PPL! Their fleet consists of a Katana, a Robin, PA28r and a T 67.

Its a friendly family run club on a great airfield with good aircraft - recommended.

Kingy

Cotswold Aero Club (http://www.cotswoldaeroclub.com/)

VFR800
25th Jan 2003, 10:50
Cheers guys, I'll check 'em out, although Gloucester is a part of a hack from Swindon!

BTW, anyone know if the BWAC is still operating, I noticed a couple of 'their' aircraft are now with BCT, (G-BOFY & G-DLTR, I think). Also, the BWAC website seems to have disappeared !

matspart3
25th Jan 2003, 18:36
VFR800
Without wishing to encounter the wrath of Big Red L for adverstising...I reckon Gloucester is the best training airfield in the UK...3 runways, full ATC including Radar, in an excellent setting away from controlled airspace
But then I am biased...I work (and fly) there

Check your PM's

VFR800
28th Jan 2003, 09:43
matspart3

Many thanks mate, I'll certainly take a look, pop up on the weekend methinks, I much prefer Clubs to FTO's, so the choice of a couple of clubs is great.

Monocock
28th Jan 2003, 21:20
You say you are from Swindon......

I live about 6 miles from you and can recommend Kemble, Thruxton and Gloucester as three reliable options.

I also own/operate a single from my private strip that is about ten minutes drive from you so Private Message me if you fancy a trip out one weekend to somewhere!! :) :cool: :) :cool:

QTS
29th Jan 2003, 18:02
I also live in Swindon and fly from Gloucester - it only takes 35 minutes to get there. I recommend Staverton Flying School.

Kemble is half the distance, but doesn't take half the time to get there due to the country roads...
Also BCT is located by the control tower so it takes time to get across the airfield. I've flown with BCT but didn't consider them for a PPL as at the time Kemble wasn't licensed.

sickBocks
30th Jan 2003, 07:47
Kemble is a tad quieter than Gloucestershire (at the moment) and you rarely suffer from being number 6 in the circuit (with circuits sometimes extending out to Cheltenham).

There are 2 flying schools on the airfield:

Aero School Kemble www.aeroschoolkemble.co.uk and
BCT.

www.kemble.net for A/D info.

sB