PDA

View Full Version : Critical Engine on the 747?

Clowndown
19th Jan 2003, 22:35
Is there a critical engine on the 747 and if so...which one...and why? Thank you

Snot Box
19th Jan 2003, 23:14
Handling the Big Jets will give you the answer. :)

Clowndown
19th Jan 2003, 23:17
I really don't want to have to purchase a whole book to find out one answer. I have been using a lot of my old college books but none of them seem to have any 747 stuff in them.

gissmonkey
20th Jan 2003, 02:40
are you studying for interview? If so, being too cheap to buy a great book is a good reflection of your enthusiasm;)

18-Wheeler
20th Jan 2003, 04:17
No.
Though Vmcg & Vmca are quite different with one or two engines out on the same side.

Traffic
20th Jan 2003, 05:05
..unless of course you happened to be taxiing a Saudi 743 in Aug01 with just #2 & #3 alight...and knew nothing about the hydraulic system...in which case I would say that #1 would be critical.....but that's just being pedantic.

fire wall
20th Jan 2003, 06:28
Clowndown, the correct answer that they are looking for is that which is the into wind engine on the takeoff role. Simply explained as a xwind from the left will apply a yawing moment to the left with all engines running.....lose # 1 and the yawing moment is compounded. Conversely lose # 4 and the yawing moment is not as great.

Good luck

HardRock
21st Jan 2003, 13:42
Upwind, outboard on four engine aircraft.

Medwin
21st Jan 2005, 19:46
Nope, its the downwind outboard.

FOUR REDS
21st Jan 2005, 19:59
To be absolutely correct:

It depends on whether the aircraft has positive or negative weathercock stability......

On the 4-engined jet I fly, which has POSITIVE Weathercock, the AFM states that the Critical Engine is the OUTER Engine on the UPWIND side.:confused:

catchup
21st Jan 2005, 20:01
@four reds

Yes, that's how understand the forces.

regards

Paracab
21st Jan 2005, 20:19
One would hope that in the two years that have lapsed since this thread began that Clowndown may have discovered the answer....

FOUR REDS
21st Jan 2005, 20:21
It's obviously still topical for some people, including you!!!!!

Paracab
21st Jan 2005, 20:37
FOUR REDS,

Purely tongue in cheek old chap. Never noticed this thread before.

Pc

FOUR REDS
21st Jan 2005, 21:10
Paracab, understood. Thanks:ok:

john_tullamarine
21st Jan 2005, 23:07
This topic (and quite a few similar) regularly arises on PPRuNe. Suggest that a search on "critical engine", "Vmcg", and "Vmc" (or "Vmca") will give you more than a coffee's worth of reading.

Certification things of interest are

(a) directional control characteristics
(b) loss of systems

while the typical interview question tends to relate to the crosswind consideration (which, basically, is ignored at certification). The thing to keep in mind here is that Vmcg is determined for nil wind (7 kt under the UK requirements) ... if you happen to be in a critical takeoff situation, with a decent crosswind ... then don't have an engine failure.

GlueBall
22nd Jan 2005, 12:41
Traffic: ...Brakes are available without motors No. 1 & 4 turning; it would require only rudimentary systems knowledge. :eek:

pictues01
23rd Jan 2005, 02:05
Also had the Saudi crew crossfed the power to the proper HYD Systems they wouldn't have had the problem either.

mutt
23rd Jan 2005, 04:56
Saudi crew

What Saudi crew? There wasnt ANY flightcrew in the cockpit.

Mutt.

Tinstaafl
23rd Jan 2005, 14:33
Surely he meant 'crew' in the sense of 'the people crewing the aircraft'? After all, 'flightcrew' wasn't used.

fire wall
23rd Jan 2005, 20:01
Mr pictures,
"crossfed the power to the proper HYD Systems"
to clarify:
I was informed by a KL stationed gnd engineer that the a/c was taxiing after maintenance with only engines 2 and 3 operating......engineers at the controls. Unfortunately normal brakes operate from hyd sys 4 and alternate from sys 1. Bringing the ADP on line on either system would have averted the embarrasment or flicking up the reserve brake switch which runs off hyd sys 2 (with operating EDP and maybe ADP if the brought such on line).........switch with big flashing RED brake source light located near Capt R knee.

I operated into KL the next day and the gnd engineer took me to the a/c. No security about so got withing 20 metres ...... the visual aspect to the external damage was incredible and I understand the internal damage to structure just as so. First class area (seats 1-10 or there abouts) floor pushed up towards roof of lower cabin.

Anyway, back to topic. There still seems to be some confusion re the topic of critical eng. I have quite a bit of time on type and can assure those that it is the upwind engine. I beleive the Q comes from a tech exam run for first joiners to a "swoosh" airline based in Asia (now that one cannot be too difficult to work out). Raised eyebrows will be accompanied by the answer of downwind donk!

Semaphore Sam
24th Jan 2005, 02:58
Which is 'the' critical engine? The one(s) still turning, regardless of crosswind. Others are dead weight; fly what you have.