PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA Query

Mark McG
19th Jan 2003, 13:16
Hi,

Currently hold a JAA PPL. Certificate of Experience Expired in NOV 01.
I am off to Florida in AUG 03, and was wondering the following:

Will I be able to be issued a temporary airmen's certificate by the FAA with my Certificate of Experience having lapsed.

Also, reading the Post by Richard from Naples Air Centre, I take it that I would not require a Visa to get my licence revalidated.

Can anyone shed any more light on this.

Thanks

Mark

Keef
19th Jan 2003, 14:04
You won't need a visa to get a reciprocal FAA PPL, but your JAA one will need to be current (as I understand it).

You do need to get the letter from the CAA to the FAA, and fill in the forms, and nominate the FSDO you will use. See threads elsewhere on here.

Mark McG
19th Jan 2003, 15:23
Keef,

Thanks for the reply.

I have emailed the FCL division of the CAA to see what they have to say.

Plan is to revalidate JAA PPL, and then get FAA licence while I am over in the USA, so that I can maybe do some hours building.

thanks

Mark

englishal
19th Jan 2003, 15:24
You could have got an FAA airmans certificate (at least you could in the old days) as they don't (didn't) check your JAA licence. However you wouldn't be able to fly as your FAA cert would be endorsed as only valid when your other licence is valid which its not.

If you get re-validated out in the states by a JAA examiner then I don't see any reason why you couldn't then fly. Of course the new rules, where the CAA has to give a letter etc, may throw a spanner in the works, as I imagine its unlikely that the CAA would issue a letter when in fact you licence is currently not valid.

Why not get your CAA / JAA licence revalidated now, and go through the process of getting the FAA certificate on your arrival in FLA?

Rgds
EA:)