PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Annual LPC

mutt
17th Jan 2003, 14:21
In this JAR world of ours, I'm interested in comparing examiner costs for conducting a Licence Proficiency Check.

Ireland = 340 EUROS. (Obviously without the cost of the aircraft)

Anyone care to add some countries.

Thanks

Mutt.

distaff_beancounter
17th Jan 2003, 14:42
mutt
Could you confirm that you mean for an MEP, please?

BEagle
17th Jan 2003, 15:10
My rates are:

PPL Skill Test - £150 (about €240)
SEP Class Rating revalidation or renewal - £75 (about €120)
IMC Rating - £0 (exactly €0)

Plus £0.30 per mile or €0.30 per km each way if I have to drive to the aerodrome.

rustle
17th Jan 2003, 15:56
I pay:

MEP 100UKP
IR 100UKP

Both together 125UKP

Didn't put the Euro conversion in cos I'd have to edit the post every eight minutes to change it :D

mutt
20th Jan 2003, 16:23
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner.......

distaff_beancounter

Yes, i did mean in a Multi Engine Aircraft, Single Pilot Operation.

Beagle

Can people deal with you directly, or do they still have to go through the CAA? In Ireland, we must use the IAA.

Thanks for the info.

Mutt.

BEagle
20th Jan 2003, 17:02
In the UK, anyone can approach a FE directly. No need to go via the CAA except for higher level items such as initial IR Skill Tests.

Aerobatic Flyer
20th Jan 2003, 17:26
BEagle, I think you may have a lot of requests for IMC Ratings coming your way!

My last renewal included a £70 examiner fee. When added on top of 2 hours aircraft rental, plus a 2 hour refresher lesson the day before and some time practising on the simulator, it made for a rather expensive renewal.

Can I do my next one with you? ;)

BEagle
20th Jan 2003, 19:50
Sorry - it would be inappropriate to answer you directly on this thread as that might be construed as advertising. Neither would I wish to be accused of unfair competitive practice by offering IMC rating tests at 'expenses only' rates generally. Within the RF for which I'm CFI, however, I do offer IMC tests at no cost as I consider the cost and effort of training expended by the applicant to be a worthwhile investment in flight safety.

Aerobatic Flyer
20th Jan 2003, 21:46
True. My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek... My initial training was a fixed-price deal with (I later found) lots of gaps in it. I don't really begrudge the £70 having travelled out of my way to fly with that particular instructor / examiner, who is a good friend.

But now that I know that someone nearby charges £0, I just might be able to persuade him to pay for the beers next time round. Doubt it though..... parting a flying instructor from beer money isn't easy!

StrateandLevel
20th Jan 2003, 21:47
In the UK the charge is up to the examiner. The examiner pays the CAA for the privilege of being an examiner and what he charges is dependent on a number of factors:

Some examiners earn a living from it.

Some are salaried with a club/school paying the examiner costs and collecting the exam fees.

Some examiners have a day job and just cover their costs.

Typical MEP LPC £65.

javelin
20th Jan 2003, 22:45
If you want to keep your private costs down, join the PFA - I do Biennial Flight Revues for diddly squat if:-

a. The aeroplane is interesting
b. You try
c. We both learned something about flying safely

If not I charge the going rate of £35.00

mutt
21st Jan 2003, 02:39
I guess that i know which country I will do next years LPC in...... Thanks for the information.

Mutt.

LowNSlow
21st Jan 2003, 05:21
My last BFR cost me 2 pints of ale but the examiner threw in 40 minutes in his Tiger Moth as a bonus (before the beer I hasten to add!!). :D