PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Denham - any ideas please

DX Wombat
14th Jan 2003, 09:26
It was suggested on PPRuNe Chat the other evening that I post this request here.
I am hoping to take my caravan down to the Caravan Club site at Denham (just across the road from the airfield) for a few days starting this weekend, probably Saturday. What I would like is some suggestions of reasonably priced places to eat, such as local pubs which serve lunches and / or evening meals. I will be taking clothing more suitable for keeping warm rather than posh nights out so the local posh restaurants will be out.
All, polite, suggestions will be welcomed. :D :D

expedite_climb
14th Jan 2003, 09:41
Don't know it myself, but The Pilot Centre use The Green Man in Denham for their social occaisions - so thats probably ok.

FlyingForFun
14th Jan 2003, 09:55
The Red Lion at Wexham Park is quite nice, I go there for dinner from time to time. It's about a 15 minute drive from Denham. I'm sure there are nearer places... the Red Lion just happens to be near to where I live!

FFF
-----------

skygazer
14th Jan 2003, 11:45
There's Edwinns restaurant at Harefield - about 10 mins max from the airfield. There's also the Coy Carp at Harefield, on Coppermill Lane, again not far from Denham, which does food all day if I remember correctly. Thai restaurant near Denham station. I can email directions to all of the above if you like - send me a PM

springers
14th Jan 2003, 17:34
I agree with FFF about the Red Lion (follow Stoke Poges signs from A412 Uxbridge/Slough road).

Also worth a try is the Crooked Billet, on the A412 at Iver Heath. It's an "Out and Out" (if that means anything to you).

For Indian, best I know in the area is The Prince of India in Gerrards Cross.

Hope this helps.

S

the wizard of auz
15th Jan 2003, 03:27
I was going to suggest feeding the dolphins and then going over to Hamlin pool for some fishing, a touch of laying around on the white sandy beach and enjoying the hot summer days swimming and drinking margaritas............ but you aint in oz yet and I bet the pommy Denham just aint the same as ours. :D

DX Wombat
15th Jan 2003, 09:13
Sounds a good idea though Wiz :) I'll keep it in mind for when I do get over there. I can always borrow a fishing rod from my niece - I bought her one for Christmas a year or two ago. :D
PS Have you put in that entry yet and where exactly is Denham? I haven't had much opportunity to explore WA.

DX Wombat
17th Jan 2003, 05:37
Thank you all very much for those suggestions. I have printed them out ready to take with me. I won't get round to trying them all out this time but hopefully there will be other occasions. :D :D
Wiz I'll see you in Oz.;)

the wizard of auz
18th Jan 2003, 03:55
Yup, I got the entry form organized. Denham is around about the middle bit on the coast of WA. have a look on a map and you will see a couple of fingers sticking out into the ocean..........Its on the end of one of those fingers (the most western one). graet place to do nowt and enjoy the sun and water and all the critters that live in the water. try a search on the web and use "shark bay" "Monkey mia" or "Denham" and you wil be pleasantly suprised.
See ya when ya get here. :D

Negative Charlie
20th Jan 2003, 14:02
A bit of trivia: Denham (UK) is twinned with Denham (Shark Bay), no doubt requiring at least one essential fact-finding tour for the local authorities who thought of it.

Trinity 09L
20th Jan 2003, 15:25
another bit of trivia, but some folks with caravans in the Denham area usually have some spare tarmac, any chance of a new runway:p

Bouncy Landing
20th Jan 2003, 21:18
And Tarmac taxiways?

Flash0710
21st Jan 2003, 09:17
Here's an idea

Don't go !

I would rather go somewhere thats friendly!

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2003, 16:45
Well, I'm back AND I enjoyed myself. I had been to the site before but was on a course in London when all meals were provided. Thanks to those who made the suggestions, I used some and have saved some for possible future visits. Now to reply to those who posted after I had set off:
Negative Charlie - I saw that twinning sign and wanted to take a photo for Wiz but couldn't stop because of the traffic. It made me smile though and I think they probably chose the Shark Bay Denham so they wouldn't have too much difficulty remembering which town they were twinned with or how to spell it. :rolleyes: :p :D
Trinity 09L and Bouncy Landing sorry, I don't do tarmac, what's wrong with grass anyway? It's much prettier, less smelly to install and easily replaceable in all weathers - much more ecologically sound, and all the aircraft I saw there were of types I have previously seen landing on grass by choice. :D
Flash 0710 You must have been thinking of the aquatic residents of Denham WA (not for nothing is it called "Shark Bay") not Denham Bucks. Everyone I spoke to was very nice and friendly. I hope to go back there later this year and try out a few more of those eating places as well as visiting some friends near Slough. :)