PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Flying Clubs

bobdee
13th Jan 2003, 16:49
Hi Folks
Like many people , I have been thinking long term about retiring to Spain, or at least spending a good amount of time there. Armed hopefully with a JAR PPL , it should be possible to join a Spanish Club and fly in Spain. But some questions arise:
1) Do all spanish flying folk have to learn Engish as part of their version of the JAR PPL?
2) If yes to (1), does that mean that Engish is the language for ATC at flying club level?
3) Under JAR rules can the PPL be kept current with the same flying hours as the UK?
4) Last but not least, how do hourl costs compare with the UK?

I was looking at Murcia as a possible location so if any one has any experience of that area, 'twould be most helpful
Regs To all
Bob Dee

long final
13th Jan 2003, 17:16
Hi bob,

I don't have a wealth of knowledge, but I'll have a go with the bit I do.

1. Believe they do, but I found ALL native traffic, big or small, communicate in Spanish.
2. Only dealt with Malaga flying club on the ground, they were very helpful and professional, both ground staff and instructors all had good English. ATC will communicate with you in English, but to be honest, in my experience, it has never been very easy to understand.
3. Better get someone else more reged up than me to answer that one, but I can't see why it should be any different - one big happy family now and all that....
4. Was definitely cheaper for me, around £70, 172 wet, but I know Malaga are not the cheapest around.

Hope that helps a little,

Regards
LF