PDA

View Full Version : frequencies--Seaford sector

Charley B
12th Jan 2003, 08:22
Hi as a plane enthusiast and living just East of Brighton towards Seaford we see Gatwick Seaford departures( they go directly overhead) towards Bames and Deauville also many LHR flights to Paris etc --looking straight out to sea yesterday--we are in a very elevated area ,we saw many high flights that are obviously not on 135.32 freq (my other half sees many during the day at work in Brighton and Hove) that come over from the west and turn sharply and go out towards France are these flights on the freq 135.42 the Over flights freq or are they on another which we have never heard of???Im afraid he has caught the plane watching off me and rings me up to say look at all these high flights going over together but I cannot always see them from here .
Another question please, looking towards Seaford we can see planes comingtowards the U K -- ( not too high though) ,where are these off to and on what freq please ?
Could a nice friendly ATC from this sector give me an answer??
Thanks

StillDark&Hungry
12th Jan 2003, 11:07
CB

Crossing the Coast southbound in your area the Sectors are split vertically, as you rightly point out, 135.32 and, above FL330, 135.42, you may be missing some which are climbing out of Stansted, for example, which may still be working the London Middle Sector (LMS) passing the coast on freq 132.45.

The northbound traffic you are probably seeing are those entering via sector19 (Hurn East 135.05) which route from BARLU (near Cherbourg) to KATHY (just south of the IOW) then turn to MID - OCK and GWC. These include flights from Spain and Portugal (amongst others!) to most of the UK and sometimes beyond!

High level overflights will eventually arrive on 135.42, medium level flights inbound to Birmingham and East Mids, for example, on, 132.45. Aircraft inbound to Luton and Stansted cross the coast at Chichester at FL190 talking to 127.95, and those at the bottom! FL130 and below are probably into Gatwick on 133.17.

Enjoy the sights and sounds! :D

Charley B
12th Jan 2003, 11:32
S D &H
Thanks a lot for the info --I have never used 132.45 I know 135.05 very well as I listen a lot in the eves to 135.32 and that one is bandboxed with it and also 128.42 and 134.9 and i hear some super planes going out to KOKSY that I never usually hear like Speedbird 009 !!
Unfortunately on my scanner I can only get both sides of the conv on 135.05 and 135.32 and 126.07 the Lands End one sadly not the ones to Kent side!!i only get the pilots side!
Thanks again--- are you one of the ones I hear on 135.32 ??

5milesbaby
12th Jan 2003, 19:11
CB

Where you are I would expect you to see the Gatwick inbounds via Bexil which were working 128.42, transferred to 120.17 (or 120.52 when bandboxed) nearing FL150.

Other traffic will be appraoching from the South-west working 135.32 and then 128.42, normally descending FL100 inbound to Biggin Hill or London City.

Just a couple of other thoughts on your UK inbounds, as GWC seems a bit far away for you to see!!!

Charley B
13th Jan 2003, 10:47
5MB
I had a good think about this yesterday and a look at my Air Waves 2002 after reading the previous posting and studing my little book more carefullyand the inbounds off the next sector seem to be what we are seeing Thank you!!
Such a shame its only after 22.00 at night and before 07.00 when bandboxed that we can get both sides of conversation !!
When the planes come to BARLU at night can we have lots more direct MAYFIELD please as they come right overhead on their way in to LGW lovely and low!!
The first plane I ever watched was BA 2075which went right past the window most mornings at 11.00 also on its return it would rumble backat 05.00 to LGW when sent direct Mayfield --I really miss my lovely jumbo-- such a shame it went to LHR!!

Mr_Grubby
13th Jan 2003, 11:52
Charley B.

Have you ever considered trying to become a student ATCO with NATS ?
You seem to have more of a grasp of area radar procedures than any of the students I have seen come through the system in a long time.

Mr G.
(sits back and waits for flack from the wage receiving unit called CATC)

Numpo-Nigit
13th Jan 2003, 16:21
You are not alone Mr G.

Over recent years it has become my impression that "a grasp of area radar procedures" or, indeed, any interest in aviation generally, is regarded as a major disadvantage during the ATC recruitment and training process. Quite why, I have never discovered.

NN

14th Jan 2003, 06:13
Hi Charlie, glad you can hear 126.07; sounds like you can pick up the site at Ventnor. At night it is coupled [or bandboxed] to 133.6, 132.95, 12937, 134.75. With that lot you will hear just about everything from 100 miles west and southwest of Lands End to Snowdon to Wrexham to Reading to Poole then to the south south west and along the channel. A sort of laymans join the dots mental map! Could do better but I am a bit tired . Happy listening.............that's how I got started in the job.

Charley B
14th Jan 2003, 07:20
r/t
Thanks Mr G that really made my day when I read your comments --very sadly too old Im afraid!!25 years ago I really would have loved to have a go!
I pickedup 126.07 when I had a Airband radio with a dial and didnt knowwhat freqs were what , and got 126.07 very clearly --should listen a lot more to that one as I enjoy hearing planes off/to far away places!! Three years ago I won a holiday to Jamaica on my local radio Station so I learned to track Speedbird 4520 as it was then,out from the tower at LGW to when told to contact Shannon and fades into oblivion! The other night thekittens jumped on the scannerand changed freqs!! so I heard New York arrivals KLMs Air India UPS and lots of others so I will definately listen a bit more .Thanks for your kind comments, the Ventnor transmitter IS the key to my happy listening it MAY BE A NEIGHBOUR SOON not sure yet!! I shall have to ensure that if we go,we go somewhere on the island where I CAN SEE PLANES!
MUST GO TO WORK NOW --UGH!

Night Shift
15th Jan 2003, 17:41
CB

YOU SAD MUPPET :p :p :p :p :p
:D :D :D :D :D

simon niceguy
15th Jan 2003, 18:09
Night Shift.

Have you just come off a Night Shift ?

You must have done, to be so disparaging. Obviously grumpy.

Give the lady a chance.

No harm.

Simon.

Ex Servant
15th Jan 2003, 20:36
There's plenty of us out here who listen to you on a regular basis and would love to work with you but age prevents us. Some of us have airline experience and professional qualifications but sadly that doesn't seem to count for much. I enquired on this forum a few months ago about an assistants position but understand that they are generally being phased out. I guess your new computers can do the donkey work for you. If however you have anything at LGW please let me know!
Regards
Ex Servant

Charley B
16th Jan 2003, 14:08
Ex Servant
THANKS check your private message box!!

SIMON THANKS FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AS WELL

Speedbird1T
21st Jan 2003, 22:44
For those of you who wish you'd beome ATCO's but are too old, there is the virtual world. Check out www.vatsim-uk.net We use voice over IP, and real world procedures, the next best thing !