PDA

View Full Version : Hour-building on PA28 in the Phoenix, AZ area

pilotFRA
9th Jan 2003, 16:02
Hi there,

anybody of you knows where you can rent a PA28 at low cost in the Phoenix area? Thanks!

pilotFRA

slim_slag
9th Jan 2003, 16:18
Yep, 2 seat VFR warriors go for around $62 per hour including tax if you pay in blocks of $1000. They do Super Cubs for only a couple of bucks more, a far better choice. Chandler Air at Chandler.

They are cheap because they are 2 seat VFR. Some people may not like that because they want polished leather interiors, two working VORs, glideslopes and fancy digital radios with lots of buttons and switches. Just remember you only need the radios for 5 minutes at the beginning and the end of your flight. The rest of the time you only need one VOR and even then you should only use that to cross check your position on the visual chart. Look out of the window! Engines and airframe are well looked after. Instructors are the best you will find.

To compare, another place charges around $85 an hour inc tax for 4 seat warriors. Again extremely well maintained, Falcon Executive at Falcon Field, mesa.

Want any other info just pm me.

You will have fun!

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2003, 16:20
There are loads of places.

My personal recommendation, though, would be for Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com/). Loads of PA28s. Most of them are 2-seaters (rear two seats removed because it makes the insurance cheaper), but a couple of 4-seaters too if you want to take pax. They also have a wide range of other aircraft, and some superb instructors, if you fancy a change... everything from an Aztec at the complex end to Super Cubs at the basic-but-fun end, and three Great Lakes bi-planes for doing aerobatics training (not to mention the Pitts Specials).

Let me know if you want recommendations for places to visit. It's a beautiful area for flying in - have fun!

FFF
--------------

What a Loop
10th Jan 2003, 09:05
Remember it well was on holiday there this year, rented a house in Scotsdale. Great flying weather although was astounded at 9000ft with an outside temp of +23c:D :D

I did hire a Warrior from Scotsdale municiple airport. Flying was great and the instructor I had during the check out was great, wouldn't recomend the plane though, only had one Warrior, and all the nav kit was u/s so I used it for toddling about the local area's, still had fun though.

Chandler would be your best bet but I would check or book in advance as I went there to try and do the taildagger course and found it to be fully booked and couldn't get a slot until the last day of my holiday, so missed the opportunity. Moto being should have booked:mad:

PilotFRA

Its a great area to be flying in, although a brush up on density altitudes etc would be advisable.

Enjoy your trip

WAL:)

kabz
11th Jan 2003, 18:23
I'd be up for some of that !!! I have faa ppl/ir and 150 hours, and it'd be good to build some more time.

I'm based in houston, but willing to come out there for a few days.

pilotFRA
12th Jan 2003, 12:31
Thank you very much to everybody! I understand Chandler is the right place to go.

Actually I've already spent more than 200 hours in the air of Arizona. Been there for flight training in Goodyear and landed on nearly every airport in the area. However, I never rented a plane privately. That's why I asked. Haven't yet gotten a job and need to build somemore hours till March...

cu there!
pilotFRA

@ slim_slag:

You say at Chandler-Air-Service a two-seat Warrior is 62,- an hour in case of buying a 1000-$ block. What is the price if I flew only 10-15 hours?

...greetings
pilotFRA

Crossedcontrols
12th Jan 2003, 16:29
I can also recomend Chandler Air services.
I rented a Super Cub, nice people.
We rented a 5 bedroomed house with pool about a mile or so from the airport, at a reasonable cost if I remember right

CC

slim_slag
12th Jan 2003, 22:39
pilotFRA,

Ah, you must be a LH cadet. High quality training set up you have, I was impressed by the student who did a text book landing in his Bonanza a few years back when his gear failed. If only they would teach you that levels in the Stanfield Stack are not to be treated like towels by the pool in Majorca :D :D :D

The deal at Chandler is give them $1000 and they credit your account with an extra $100, so you now have $1100 to spend. As tax is around 8%, essentially they pay your tax. This also means you get instructors at a proportionally lower rate. You also do not pay tax on instruction or rental during instruction.

If you give them $500 I think they give you extra money some too, but I don't know as I always hand over $1k at a time when I am in the area.

If you are only there 15-20 hours you should still consider a tailwheel sign off, if you are hour building it doesn't really matter what you do it in. If you are really flush with cash, 20 hours should be enough to be checked out in one of their Great Lakes.

fff gave the web site, all prices are on there.

Accomodation rental prices are extremely seasonal. Right now for short term accomodation, you will pay two or three times what you will pay in the summer. That's because right now it is 21C with nice clear skies - not so in Montana so everybody leaves in the winter, takes their bad driving habits to Phoenix, and pushes up prices astronomically.

In the summer when it is closer to 50C, nobody in their right mind would go there, and you can get a night in a top resort for $100 with all the booze you can drink and food you can eat thrown in for free - almost :)

pilotFRA
22nd Jan 2003, 08:09
@slim_slag:

You're right, I was attending LH Flight Training Pilot School. However, unfortunately in a free-market course, that makes me unemployed at the moment. There's no demand around - especially in Germany.

Thanks for your help! I'll check it out on the homepage of Chandler Air Service.

cu
pilotFRA

NineEighteen
28th Oct 2003, 20:37
I am considering doing some hour building at Chandler Air Service in Nov/Dec. Can anyone recommend some reasonable accomodation. Price and location?

I have a list from CAS but I'd appreciate PPRuNer opinions.

Thanks

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2003, 20:45
Some clues as to what you're looking for would be nice. What budget? Hotel, apartment, self-catering, etc? Will you have a car? Will you be alone or with friends?

FFF
--------------

NineEighteen
29th Oct 2003, 18:50
FFF,

I've stayed in 'Budget Suites' before in the US and that sort of thing would be quite adequate for me. They work out at around $50 a night (room only). So I guess as a guide I'd be looking for an apartment or self catering accomodation within walking distance of the airfield as I'd rather not rent a car for the visit.

I intend to stay for 4 weeks and will be alone for most of the time, although the girlfriend may join me for the final week. I really just need somewhere close by to sleep.

I'm wondering if I should perhaps book somewhere for the first week and then look around for something else once I've arrived.

Any ideas are welcome
Thanks

Tall_guy_in_a_152
29th Oct 2003, 19:53

Remember that Nov / Dec is Peak season in Arizona, with hotel rates to match. I would strongly recommend booking the 1st week in advance. Weekends especially can get booked up early. For a stay of 4 weeks you might find a vacation apartment rental. A one bed apartment works out to about the same as a cheap hotel, but you get a fully equipped kitchen which will save you money (if you can cook :) ), the monotony of restaurant food and the waistline of a McDonalds regular. And you can make a drinkable cup of tea!

Sorry, no specific experience of Chandler. The Buttes Resort in Phoenix is very nice, but pricey and a waste of money if you aren't going to spend much time there.

TG

FlyingForFun
29th Oct 2003, 20:33
The area I stayed a couple of years ago, Tempe, was definitely not walking distance, so I can't recommend anything suitable for you. You really need something in Chandler - and the further south, the better.

Chandler is not the centre of the universe. Also, everything is very spread out in Phoenix, and no one walks anywhere. There is very little public transport - a few busses, but that's about it. So if you fancy a night out or a restaurant meal or anything that's away from Chandler, you'll need a cab. But apart from that, there's nothing really wrong with Chandler as an area, as long as you ignore the Mexicans standing by the side of the road looking for casual work every morning. Assuming it hasn't changed too much since I was there, of course.

FFF
----------------