PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about the C5 Galaxy

Squealing Pig
6th Jan 2003, 20:35
Hi Simple one for you, can anybody tell me if the lower deck (large cago area) on a C5 is pressurised, or is it just the upper deck , Cant seem to find any thing on the net about it.

Cheers, SP

ATPMBA
6th Jan 2003, 20:51
It's pressurised, they do carry troops in the cargo area. Some large Russian transports, however, are unpressurised.

Squealing Pig
6th Jan 2003, 20:54
that was quick !, Thanks ATPMBA thought as much !

galaxy flyer
7th Jan 2003, 01:14
Not only is it pressurized and heated, for normal ops it is required for structural integrity and airframe life. Unpressurized flights are usually for the minimum necessary to get to a maintainance station. It's heated, but is somewhat cold downstairs inflight. We very,very rarely carry passengers or troops down there. I believe the C-5ski is not pressurized or accessible in-flight.

Galaxy Flyer

Volume
7th Jan 2003, 06:30
You can tell from the upper deck floor structure, that the lower deck must be pressurized. Such a wide floor with these small floor beams canīt stand the pressure loads, as been proved by the THY DC-10 Accident over France in the 70s.

Black_Dawn
7th Jan 2003, 07:56
Hi Galaxy Flyer

just out of curiosity: can you tell me what are the C5's crosswind speed limit with dry/wet runway condition.

thanks
B_D

galaxy flyer
7th Jan 2003, 22:40
Well, it's a fairly complex answer. The crosswind gear is no longer installed having been removed from the A's and replaced with the B-model gear that is simpler and easier to maintain.

Dry runway the crosswind limit at a normal wgt. (say 200 mT, 540,000 lbs) would be about 35 knots direct cross. Wet runway about 23 knots, I suppose; the engineers have some cosmic charts that after 15 years still escape me. When the RCR goes below 12 (ie snow or ice covered) the crosswind component allowed goes rapidly toward about 5-6 knots. Below RCR 12 there is a separate chart for take-off and landing; landing being more restrictive in most cases. If the take-off involves a V1 less that Vr, it is more restrictive still. The time between V1 and Vr is rather dicey, it feels like you are flying in very close proximty to the earth. It's very light on its feet. All that said, a limiting crosswind landing usually doesn't seem very difficult. Though, I've had some hairy landings in the Azores and some Western US stations.:eek: :eek: Overall, a nice flying machine:) :)