PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned

Mr. TCU
6th Jan 2003, 15:00
On the weekend, I got to fly to my first larger airport other than the one I trained at. The whole trip in went very well and I had no problems other than a transponder that wasn't reporting my altitude very accurately.

My problem arose when I had picked up my passengers at this airport and went to taxi out. Ground control gave me my taxi instructions, but I was totally unprepared to hear them. I asked for the directions again and wrote them down this time, but I then realized I didn't have the airport diagram in front of me. Not wanting to make the situation worse I asked for progressive taxi instructions so I wouldn't make some mistake on the way out. At the same time, I got my passenger (also a pilot) to get the map out and we were fine from there on.

This problem was largely caused by my complacency with training at a big airport. I got to know the taxiways off by heart and so never needed to look at the airport diagram. Then when I was at a different big airport I still felt at home subconciously and didn't think I needed to look at the map. I was also relying on the other pilot, who trained at that airport, to be my guide. Thing was, he wasn't familiar with the route we were given that day.

In the end though, all my fault. I consider it a good lesson learned. What I should have done was to tell the controller to standby while I got the map out. It is easier to see the correct course of action later on though.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2003, 15:31
Yes, I'll admit it.

Not quite the same, but similar... went to Cranfield, and was completely confused because the taxy instructions, the airfield diagram (which I did have to hand) and the airport signs didn't seem to match up. Ended up exceeding my clearance limit, got told to do a 180 by a very angry controller. All worked out ok in the end. I never figured out what went wrong, until I bought the next year's Pooleys, and discovered that all the holding points had been re-numbered, and my old Pooleys was out of date. What I should have done was ask for clarification when I realised that I couldn't match the signs to my diagram.

Then there was the first time I went to Tucson International. Spoke to Clearance Delivery, who told me "Your departure frequency is 123.45, contact Ground for clearance." So I contacted 123.45, only to be told to contact Ground. Very confused now. Eventually, I figured out that the frequency which Delivery give you is not the next frequency you use. You get the Ground frequency, and the Tower frequency, from your airport guide. It's only after taking off that Tower tell you to "Contact Departure" - and that's when you use the frequency which Delivery gave you 10 minutes earlier! Not actually sure what I could have done to know that first... but once I knew it, I went back there without any problems.

I guess that's why they say the PPL is a license to learn!

FFF
--------------

bertiethebadger
6th Jan 2003, 16:07
I now keep a diagram of the airfild layout under the flight planning page in use. When I get to the airfield & the plan is no longer needed, turn over & there it is. It's all you now need to see.

I also verify my airfield guide with the AIS web site.

Don't forget that you can for info when you book in/out at the tower or a club house. They can point to run up areas & the most likely route.