PDA

View Full Version : Parents Flexible Working

Fallows
2nd Jan 2003, 18:37
I have just seen on the national news about the introduction of legislation to guarantee parents the right to "Flexible Working", which as a citizen of the UK I can only applaud.
I do not wish to open old wounds, as I know the subject is controversial, but what rights if any, do we non-parents have under this bill.
IN MY OPINION, NATS personnel policies are often characterized by short-termism, favouritism, nepotism, and quite a few other isms, therefore I have no faith in the personnel policies applied by NATS when it comes to treating parents and non parents equitably.
My question is do we non-parents have the same/ similar rights either in NATS policies or national working legislation as parents?.
DISCUSS!!!!

Down Ampney
2nd Jan 2003, 18:49
Fallows
In answer to your question.
No.
You don't.

Ahh-40612
2nd Jan 2003, 21:36
This is great news!
I think I'll just work Tuesdays to Thursdays from 1000-1600.

Someone else can do all my night duties and weekends.

Seriously though - if you want to work part-time or flexi then go and work in an office.

We were all very aware of the nature of the job and the shift systems when we were sentenced to work for Nats.

Anyway the UK will need lots more taxes from us soon as I think we will shortly have another 12 countries full of inefficient farmers to support in Europe.

More hours needed not less.

Findo
2nd Jan 2003, 21:40
Yes you do. There are many NATS staff who have taken advantage of flexibility of hours whether in terms of sabatical leave for years or flexible hours or shifts each day.

radar707
2nd Jan 2003, 23:27
As a parent, I applaud this , however looking at this from an impartial point of view I would think that there would be redress under equal oportunities legislation.
A non parent could (in theory), plead discrimination, therefore we have yet another can of worms for NATS to deal with.

Bigears
3rd Jan 2003, 03:29
Fallows, your news report was economical with the truth.
From the DTI website (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/individual/flexible-pl516.htm)
'This new right will enable mothers and fathers to request to work flexibly. It will not provide an automatic right to work flexibly', which of course is not the same as ' the introduction of legislation to guarantee parents the right to "Flexible Working" '

Bombay Bad Boy
3rd Jan 2003, 09:24
Flexible hours !!!

Brill, I'll work the troughs, you work the peaks! that will give me at least an extra 5 years before I go grey!

Maybe I could get a school term contract and miss the summer traffic ! WOW, This legislation has real potential for us parents.

Non-parents, if you cant beat us, then join us !!

:D :D :D :D :D

Undercover
3rd Jan 2003, 13:51
I applaud this move... but I also agree with equity for all.

I look forward to the introduction of non-parental flexible drinking hours.

Those with kids can cover the mornings and evenings when I'm either drinking or sleeping it off... I'll come in and do a couple of hours just before tea time. It's a win/win result for all!!

:D

Since devising this scheme I decided to hedge my bets... Sadly, as yet, none of the women I've approached in the bar have been prepared to have my children... and for such a noble cause!

Frightfully sorry ladies, for I'm afraid I was very... very drunk...

roger
3rd Jan 2003, 19:26
Fallows
The shortish answer...of course not.
It is a parents flexible working scheme.
Being non-disabled,would you have the same rights as a disabled person who can park on a double yellow in the middle of town without penalty?

Joking aside, political correctness has gone mad. Why are you adding to it.
Next you'll be suggesting people wearing dodgy Hawaiian shirts should be given extra days off and earning 30% more cash.
Oh you do, I stand corrected.
roger

MikeGranby
4th Jan 2003, 00:47
'This new right will enable mothers and fathers to request to work flexibly. It will not provide an automatic right to work flexibly', which of course is not the same as ' the introduction of legislation to guarantee parents the right to "Flexible Working" '
Well, it says more than that. I mean, anyone can request anything without the law having to give them permission!

The new law also says that the employer will have to give reasons as to why such flexibility cannot be provided, and I can promise you that someone will object to these reasons, resign their job, claim constructive dismissal and then put a tribunal in the situation of having to second-guess the employer's reasons. This will then be appealed to the EAT, and the result will become precedent. Thus, without too much fuss, the government gets into the job of telling employers what hours it can and cannot demand of its employees who happen to have kids.

Leaving asside the impact of yet another piece of pointless regulation on British competitiveness and the unfair way in which employers are expected to fund their staff's lifestyle choices, this measure is hugely discriminatory in terms of how it treats non-parents, who will presumably have to pick up all the crappy shifts so the parents can have their beloved flexibility.

In short, it stinks.

Arkady
4th Jan 2003, 12:30
I may be missing something here but what about Unsociable Hours Pay? Surely the more you pick and choose your shifts the less you are entitled to it. More to the point, if you work all shifts and increasingly cover the less popular ones isn't extra payment a fair recompense?

Fallows
5th Jan 2003, 09:34
I must disagree with Mike Granby, I think it is a far sighted and sound piece of legislation, and as a non-parent I can certainly see the benefits of it to society as a whole.
My main concern is NATS personnels interpretation of it, I think that it might mean that the non-parents could end up picking up the pieces as to make it fair would require foresight and planning in the Operational Resource Department.

Fallows
5th Jan 2003, 11:52
Sorry, one further thing!. Rogers post about my Hawaiian shirts, Im still not being paid any extra for being the fashion guru of Swanwick. Seriously, to draw parallels with disabled people is a little disingenuous, for most parents to start a family is a matter of choice, that could not be said for handicapped people.

Down Ampney
5th Jan 2003, 16:17
This is not a sound piece of legislation and if you think it is far sighted then by all means look a few years ahead and see what it does to the small business community in this country.
I see Fallows is already setting the ORO up to take the blame for the results of this debacle. As a non-parent it is quite likely you will have to make way for others' needs but you should address your complaints to President Blair and his acolytes.

Bombay Bad Boy
6th Jan 2003, 17:29
All I want to know is :

Where I can get the accurate laid out legislation? Then I will be able to go into the bosses office, put it on his desk and request a school term time contract.

Summer will be fantastic !:D :D :D