PDA

View Full Version : How many PPLs in the UK?

AerBabe
2nd Jan 2003, 16:07
Does anyone know of the statistics for how many people hold a PPL in the UK, what age distribution, how many of the fairer sex, how many new PPLs a year etc etc?
Ta :)

charlie-india-mike
2nd Jan 2003, 16:12
AerBabe

I am fairly sure that that info is on the CAA website somewhere but I can't remember where.

CIM

rustle
2nd Jan 2003, 16:16
CAA Stats:

(By age/sex/additional ratings)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Age2000StatsPrivate.PDF

charlie-india-mike
2nd Jan 2003, 16:18
rustle

You got in before me. I have just found it too.

CIM

StrateandLevel
2nd Jan 2003, 16:27
Bear in mind the statistics only cover the valid licences. Most PPLs were issued for life, so there are probably twice as many invalid PPLs as well.

AerBabe
2nd Jan 2003, 16:30
Thanks for such a fast response!
More than a little embarassed I couldn't find that myself... :rolleyes:

Chaffers
2nd Jan 2003, 20:14
I would have thought you'd be looking for male PPL's Babe, each to their own though :D.

Only 341 flying beauties under the age of 30, get em while they're hot lads!

distaff_beancounter
3rd Jan 2003, 08:36
Well AerBabe certainly took up the right hobby, if she wants to meet the fellas :)

I am surprised that the statistics show such a low propartion of women. Especially if you consider that those with current medicals, are probably mostly those who trained most recently.

On Pprune there seems to be far more than 6% of the active posters, who are female.

OR, perhaps it is just that the females are better at communications, and, of course always want to have the last word :D

Whirlybird
3rd Jan 2003, 11:53
distaff beancounter,

A lot of regular posters on PPRuNe don't hold PPLs. And some of us post a lot - if you ignore my posts, and Aerbabe's....;) :D

But seriously, I'm not surprised. How many women do you see in flying clubs, or hear on the radio? I only met about three in my first year of flying. :eek:

As for commercial pilots, only 2% are women. Which explains why I was the only one on both my CPL ground school courses, almost the only one doing the exams.

Jeez...I almost begin to understand why people always assume my male passenger is the pilot.

AerBabe
3rd Jan 2003, 12:22
...and if I was looking to meet "the fellas" I would be very disappointed. Unless I had a thing for 40+ year old married guys :p

Penguina
3rd Jan 2003, 12:42
it is just that the females are better at communications, and, of course always want to have the last word

No we don't. :D

In this age of targets and pledges, I intend to increase the number of 24 year old female PPLs by 4% for the following year.

distaff_beancounter
3rd Jan 2003, 13:01
Oh dear! :(

I like make the odd prevocative comment on males v females in aviation, in order to wind up all the odd unreconstructed male chauvinist dinosaur, who might be reading Pprune.

But, all I seem to have done is proved my hypothesis :D