PDA

View Full Version : The PPL Night rating

phnuff
2nd Jan 2003, 10:07
Having just followed the thread re the value of the IMC, I am interested to know the opinions on the PPL Night rating. Personally, I like flying at night and find the fact that I can set out to return to my nice 24*7 base in winter without having to worry about the time, to be nice. There is of course the slight nagging concern that 'if that engine stops, I am in big do do's' .

What is the expression, "turn the lights on at 300ft, if you dont like what you see, turn them off 'cos you are going to die anyway". :D :D

FlyingForFun
2nd Jan 2003, 10:20
If you fly from a nice 24*7 base, you are very lucky, and the night rating is indeed not only a useful thing to have, but fun too!

My aircraft is day-VFR only, so I have to rent to night-fly. My home airfield only night-flies on weekdays, and I can't get back from the office in time. My next-nearest airfield also only night-flies on weekdays. The next-nearest after that is opened until 8pm 7 nights a week - great! Except that neither of the schools on the field were happy about hiring to me for night-flying because I'm not familiar with the field, and there are some trees on final which become invisible at night. So that gave me a choice of two more airfields within reasonable driving distance, both of which are open for night-flying 7 days a week, but both only till 6pm unless I pay a huge suppliment. Doing any kind of night cross-country is pretty much impossible if I have to be back by 6pm, and the usefulness that you talk about is completely lost.

Flying in the US is generally a pleasure, but especially when it comes to night flying. If an airfield has lights, then you can land there at night - simple. If ATC have gone home, the lights will be pilot-controlled by clicking the PTT button a certain number of times. All very easy and much more civilised than our crappy UK system :mad:

FFF
--------------

[Edit because, having re-read my post, it sounds like I'm trying to put people off getting the night qualification - which I'm not!!! Night flying is really beautiful, and it's a fantastic addition to your PPL. Just don't expect it to be all that useful though.]

long final
2nd Jan 2003, 10:38
phnuff,

I would echo FFF's post. Some of the best, smoothest flying can be done at night. Vis can also be stunning. But as you mention, It's suprising just how keen your hearing is ;) .

My vote, well worth it, and handy in the winter months if you have an equipt base - but I wonder how I would feel just around that 300ft point. :eek: :D :eek:

Cheers,
LF

Timothy
2nd Jan 2003, 11:44
phnuff

Bear in mind that it's not just you in the do-dos following your engine failure...it's also the people on the ground and the reputation of Aviation in general, GA ops and SEPs in particular.

The old, old :rolleyes: joke about the landing light is all very well, but what are you going to do when the engine fails?

I'm not saying don't do it....I love night flying and recommend it to all....but you owe it to yourself, your family and society to think this through.

phnuff
2nd Jan 2003, 12:28
I got a server busy message so if this results in a double post, forgive me

You make a good point re those on the ground and families etc. however ultimately, we all take some risks when ever we do anything and I guess the trick is do what ever you can to minimise those risks. To be honest, I worry about familiy etc. when ever I taxi out both day & night - if I didn't I would turn around, get out and go to the pub as it would mean I was not taking the risks as seriously as I should.
I agree about the flying at night though, great views and often calm.

I know what I would like to be thinking at 300 feet - I just hope that I would !!

bertiethebadger
2nd Jan 2003, 12:29
I'm looking to do one with an IMC in a couple of months.

Not so that I can fly at 3am but so that Ican fly in those hours between official sunset & when it's dark, which, in the non winter months, can be quite nice.

See, it can have a use!

Fred
2nd Jan 2003, 15:10
I got this a few years ago and have done some of the most enjoyable and satisfying flying with it. It also has the advantage of not requiring revalidation – only the 90-day rule must be observed for carrying passengers. Plus if you miss last landing at your unlit base you can at least make a legal diversion. However let’s face it – if you’ve only one engine and it breaks you’re dead unless it’s a clear night with a full moon, and even then I honestly don’t fancy my chances of landing survivably on some random dark peace of ground. This is in marked contrast to daylight SE flying where I think/hope I can cope with virtually any emergency other than a mid-air, and they’re a lot rarer than engine failures. So generally I’m only really happy on routes where you can cruise high and glide to a lit airfield for most of the journey, which is a pretty restrictive condition. Even if I had a SE turboprop I’d still be nervous over the lakes/pennines etc.

Bertie – IMHO it’s pretty sodding dark at official sunset! 15 mins later it may as well be 3 am.

knobbygb
2nd Jan 2003, 16:48
I'd argue the point about it being too dark to fly just after sunset. I did most of my training in the last slot of the day at our airfield - 7pm to 8pm, and it was the frustration of having to land when it was such a beautiful evening that made me promise I'd get the night qualification. Often I'd drive home after the lesson and not have to turn on the car headlights until an hour after sunset. This time of day always seemed the most relaxing and beautiful time to fly for me, so when I finally get the qualification, it'll be for the reasons Bertie mentions.

In June, at 53deg North, on an ideal clear evening, I reckon you could fly until around 21:30 or 22:00 and still (just) be able to see to make a forced landing. In fact, the vis always seemed better just after sunset, as you'd lose all that glare from the low sun.

bertiethebadger
3rd Jan 2003, 08:48
That's the time Knobby, those lovely twilight hours.

Far better than having to leave somewhere too early & still bright enough to find a field should the need arise.