PDA

View Full Version : Technical data for Piper warrior

Fergal20
31st Dec 2002, 12:04
Hello,
Can anyone tell me where to find technical data for a Piper warrior. I need to find the Lift and drag coefficients, and the area of the fuselage. Also is it possible to get the lift and drag coefficients for different control surface deflections?

The reason I ask for this information is that I have a PPL and I'm making a Flight Simulator based on a Piper Warrior for a Computer Programming course I'm doing in college.

Any information for this would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks in advance;)

Genghis the Engineer
31st Dec 2002, 15:18
The data isn't readily available in the form that you want, but it's pretty readily derived if you understand a bit of aerodynamics and have access to Pipers POH.

Cl.max will be at the stall, so if you know wing area and stall speed (calibrated) at each flap setting (all in the POH) then you can work out Cl.max.

Cl. in normal cruise can be worked out the same way. With a bit patience using the AI you can estimate the difference in AoA at several speeds, and that will give you a good enough Cl-alpha graph for flight sim work.

Cd is more difficult but still possible. If you play around with the basic lift and drag equations it's possible using the fact that at the best glide speed, Cdo=Cdi, and Cl/Cd is identical to the glide ratio. You'll need to crunch a bit of algebra, but it's not all that hard.

Area of the fuselage - frankly the easiest way to find this is to trace the 3-view drawing out of the operators manual onto graphpaper and count the squares. Crude, but it's probably what I'd do.

Hope this helps,

G