PDA

View Full Version : Unusual question...

callsignonly
29th Dec 2002, 22:35
Hi everybody,
I have a rather unusual question : my girlfriend is studiing at an academy for interior design and architecture. They have a project to do on (no kidding) baby-diaper-changing-tables in aircrafts and its history in aircrafts.
I hope that this is an exact term in the english language...
Now I'd like to know if someone can tell me since when these things are installed in aircrafts and from which material they are made from. :confused:
Don't be angry if this might be not the wright topic for the forum !
Brgds frm Vienna !

:)

Flamgat
30th Dec 2002, 10:50
I don’t know the history, or have a reference, but I once read that on a query to the manufacturers, as to why they were so expensive to fit in aircraft, the answer was they have to be stressed to carry in excess of 250 kg.

When the manufacturers were asked “why” since babies do not weigh that much, the answer was that since they are located in the toilets of the aircraft, they are often used for activities, more in keeping with the production of babies, than changing them.

It would be interesting if that could be confirmed either with manufacturers or aircraft fitters that service them.

Best of luck with your research.
:)

northwing
30th Dec 2002, 12:46
I too have heard the story that they had to be strenghtened to accommodate amorous couples, although I don't think that is the cause of the high cost. Quite simply everything you fit to an aircraft costs a ridiculous amount because you have to test it, prove that it is airworthy, get the CAA or equivalent to certify it, change all the maintenance and repair manuals etc etc etc.

As to what they are made of, I don't know, but I suggest that a carbon fibre skin with a honeycomb filling would probably give the lightest solution with the rigidity to inspire confidence in mothers both actual and intending. Fibreglass would be cheaper for the skin but might be bendier and in any case so much of the cost is made up of the design and certification expenses that the price of the component materials is likely to be lost in the noise. The biggest problem with composite materials in this application is going to be the stress at the attachment points such as hinges. You are likely to need to build in doublers to spread the load out into the structure.

BOAC
30th Dec 2002, 14:14
"with the rigidity to inspire confidence in mothers both actual and intending"

Steady. lads!

Frosty Hoar
30th Dec 2002, 14:27
I believe they were installed on the Virgin a A340-600 but were subsequently removed because they were so "sh?gged out",

happy new year....:cool: