PDA

View Full Version : Old Warden - ideal destination

Hairyplane
29th Dec 2002, 13:10
For those of you who are unaware - Old Warden is most welcoming to flying visitors.

An excellent fry-up is promised in 'The Aviator' Restaurant. Great lunches too.

One thing that seems to have ruled out OW for a breakfast or lunch in the past has been their policy to charge nothing for the landing but to charge every occupant an entrance fee to The Collection.

The Collection is great! Where else can you see 7 hangars crammed full of rare aircraft, mostly in airworthy condition - and probably wangle your way behind the barriers if you meet up with one of the many volunteers working on the exhibits?

However, many have either seen it or simply don't have the time or have passengers who aren't as enthusiastic. They just want feeding. So a museum entrance fee charged but not used is an unecessary expense.

Well, all has changed!

For a modest landing fee - £7 I think is the proposed sum- you will be most welcome to fly in and do what you want.

If you want to look around the hangars - you can cough up as required. Visit the Swiss Gardens or the Falconry Centre too - great bird displays in the Summer months.

Now, like many airfields, there are neighbour considerations as well as a highly active model plane club.

You must therefore listen patiently to the telephone while the Chief Pilot's instructions to flying visitors are read from a card.

Of vital importance is a clearing circuit to allow the model fliers to land their machines and also - to understand the avoid areas (Falconry Centre, local villages, stud farm etc.)

03/21 grass is the only available runway ( 12/30 is for the exclusive use of home-based aircraft) but 600 metres of short grass (a bit bumpy!) is plenty long enough for most light aircraft.

The field is wet and closed at the moment (surprise surprise!) but please do try to pay a visit during 03.

Take the kids - lots of flying things to buy for them in the shop - or even plan to stop over in The Lodge. When you consider what a wonderful place the old Shuttleworth residence is - the rooms are extremely cheap (as little as £40 B&B) - it has to be on the 'must do ' list!

Fly-in for the events too.

Up to 30 visiting aircraft can be accomodated on a flying day. There will be gaps in the evening programmes to allow departures.

All are published on the website.

Do oo oo it!

Finally, if you own something really interesting, please please bring it to one of the displays. A prime position is assured. The crowd will be delighted. If you have a Display Authorisation and the Chief Pilot is happy about it, you might - with sufficient notice and prior discussion - just end up in the Display programme, especially if you are happy to acknowledge that The Shuttleworth Trust is a charity and they would like you to do it for free!

HP

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Dec 2002, 21:45
HP

Could not agree more.

And if you dont want to fly in. Come on one of the displays bring your picknick gear and pop a few bottles whilst watching some interesting flying and some truly rare birds.

FD

t'aint natural
29th Dec 2002, 22:05
Well now, that's a most welcome invitation. Twice I've tried and failed to fly in - once because of waterlogging, once because there was something on. I'll certainly give it another go. Can anyone tell me where I can find out what the calendar of events is for the coming year?

Hairyplane
30th Dec 2002, 07:26
Hi TN,

Check out www.shuttleworth.org

I think that this destination will become even more attractive if you join the Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society (SVAS).

At the moment, membership - around twenty quid a year - entitles you to as many free landings as you want as well as various other concessions, including reduced admission prices to the air displays, shop discounts etc.

WELL WORTH JOINING!

You can join in the shop there or by EMail to

[email protected]

The phone number is 01767 627288.

Do it!

HP

Stampe
1st Jan 2003, 15:17
Can certainly endorse HP,s comments on Old Warden truly one of the great places of UK aviation and amongst my favourite flying or driving destinations.Almost a religious experience.Great efforts seem to being taken to make the airfield more user friendly for flying visitors.I,ve been a member of the SVAS for many years and its tremendous value free landings at OW free collection entry and half price airshow admission.Pity about the winter waterlogging what a lousy winter we,re having.Other favourites are North Weald and White Waltham pity there aren,t more destinations like these.:)

vintage ATCO
1st Jan 2003, 16:36
Seconded and thirded about Old Warden.

Photos from the last two years displays are on my website www.stevelevien.com (http://www.stevelevien.com). When the sun is out and the grass is cut, Old Warden looks a picture. I'll even paint the signal square again this year! :D ;) :D

-------------
vintage ATCO

Kolibear
2nd Jan 2003, 09:15
I'm looking forward to dropping in O-W when it dries out.

Anywhere that has a Spitfire and the Comet has to be worth visiting.

Nice place for a PPrune fly-in too ??

Grandad Biggles
6th Jan 2003, 20:02
Just to clarify the charges for 2003.

Landing Fee £7.50 will include 1 free entry to the Collection Hangers.
Others in the aircraft, if wishing to view the collection, will need to pay @ £7.50 each.
SVAS members flying in will be required to pay the Landing fee but have a Free Entry to the Collection for the members only.

Landing Fees for Display Events are £12 per person on all but the Military Pageant Displays (June 1st and Aug 3rd) when it is £15 per person.
Details of the Charges are to be found in the 2003 leaflet.

The "Notes for Visiting Pilots" as posted on the website are out of date. They will be updated shortly.
No guaranties for parking but we are reverting to parking visiting aircraft to the South East parking area and hoping to provide a shuttle service to get people to the spectator area.

There are no departures during the display. Do not plan to depart until after the Display has finished. If this is at one of our Sunset Displays, please consider the Sunset time in your flight planning or arrange to stay overnight.

There are some planned Fly-in's. March 8th is the next one, of course subject to the condtions. And maybe one in April.
All should note that it is always "PPR" by telephone.

Philip Whiteman
7th Jan 2003, 08:11
If I read Velclip correctly, Old Warden's landing fees have increased dramatically. In the past I have been a frequent visitor (and I love the place). My SVAS membership used to give me free landings and, at displays, I had become used to paying just the road arrival entry fees.

So now its at least £7.50 per flying visit, and on display days £24 or £30 (my 1944 U.S. Army Cub carries two). To put this in perspective, the only way I can carry on flying is by operating an aeroplane as minimal as the Cub. Last time I calculated it, my flying was costing me £20 to £30 per hour. Laugh if you will, but landing at Old Warden could cost me twice as much as the flight there from my strip at Aylesbury.

Silverstone used to charge £23 for fixed-wing aircraft. After letters from the vintage aircraft owners who graced their old car events in smaller and smaller numbers as time went on, they relented and made landings free - with a good effect on turnout.

I hope The Shuttleworth Collection is not cutting its own, very elegant throat. I am sorry chaps, but I think I will be taking the customary beans, chips and pasty lunch at Popham from now on.

nonradio
7th Jan 2003, 11:28
Phillip W: Hear, Hear! What on earth is going on up there?. Recently the entrance was shifted to the village so that popping in for a cup of tea or lunch by road was a pain in the wotsit. Now that's changed back but I've lost the desire..And now SVAS membership doesn't give free landings! No more lunches there then. It's much cheaper to go to Andrewsfield or Keyston now. Such a Shame.