PDA

View Full Version : Formation Flying Tips?

QDMQDMQDM
28th Dec 2002, 18:38
Was out practicing formation flying today. Fun, but tricky, especially in turns. What are people's top tips?

QDM

John Farley
28th Dec 2002, 19:00
Fun, but tricky, especially in turns.

Mmm. Fun yes, but with a good leader and a proper brief I am not sure it should seem tricky.

But there again I guess it depends on what you might mean by tricky.

The two top tips are:

Get a good leader

Get a good brief

Go-Around
28th Dec 2002, 19:52
Get some professional coaching if you haven't already, and relax.

sycamore
28th Dec 2002, 19:56
QDM

To add to John`s tips;
You must fly dual with someone who knows (pref ex-mil, but there a lot of excellent civ. formation instructors).
Don`t just read about it and then go fly.
Don`t fly dissimilar a/c in formation until you have a lot of experience.
If you are inexperienced and still ignore all b4, only go as a pair.

There were threads about formation schools/courses some time ago, so a search will show them.Y ou can learn basic formation in a few short hours,given the proper training and it is good fun,teaches you a lot about airmanship,and aircraft control,
as I`m sure lots of Ppruners who have done the course at Nweald would endorse- just be careful.;) ;)

QDMQDMQDM
28th Dec 2002, 22:33
Thanks. Maybe I should have been more specific. I found myself using the throttle a lot to maintain position. I got caught out by not anticipating sufficiently the lag before changing throttle setting has an effect. That's not something which is so acutely relevant in most private flying where one is not (hopefully) in such close proximity to other objects. Unlike in most light aircraft flying you are here controlling speed with throttle rather than attitude. So that was a big lesson from today.

Also, the sheer amount you need to increase speed when you're on the outside of a turn caught me by surprise. How ever did they manage in the early days of WW2 when they used to fly line abreast with 12 machines?!

Of course you're all right -- good leader, good brief, professional coaching etc etc. Impossible to argue with that. The reality is that I'm picking it up in conjunction with another more experienced pilot in his cub and me in mine. There is a correct way to do everything and this may not be it, but it's all I've got, hence the request for tips, which have been helpful.

Thanks again.

QDM

Genghis the Engineer
28th Dec 2002, 22:53
QDM, very seriously, I'd talk you out of any attempt to self-teach formation. It can go wrong very painfully very quickly.

There are people out there with the experience to teach formation. As have been said, the best of these are usually ex-mil. You and your chum, regardless of experience in other flying, really should find somebody to train you up.

G

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Dec 2002, 23:12
QDMQ....:

Please do your self and family a favour.

DO NOT self teach formation flying..

It can all go horribly wrong before you realize what has happened.

Even in a Cub.

Cat Driver:

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.:D

Especially when it comes to self teaching.....

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Dec 2002, 07:47
Darn Chuck, have to agree with you yet again!

Formationflying is seriously good fun but needs to be taught properly.

A fatal 2 plane accident 2 years ago by 2 Beech Bonanzas from the KLM training school testifies that even professionals can get it wrong.

FD

Wrong Stuff
29th Dec 2002, 08:30
This thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63738) is worth a read - gives some recommendations of good places to learn.

formationfoto
29th Dec 2002, 10:31
Self teaching formation flying and aerobatics can be done but it would be foolish to recommend it without knowing skill and dilligence of the pilot involved. That, no doubt, is why extreme caution has been urged by others on this thread.

I can only add that as with picking up any skill there are great advantages (including safety) to getting someone who has built up the skill to coach you.

I would advise against 'going it alone' and briefing and sensible leader all important when you practice.

A sensible leader who understands the issues can make the difference between an enjoyable session and an unpleasant experience.

QDMQDMQDM
29th Dec 2002, 10:35
OK, thanks everybody. I get the message. Best call it a day on this thread.

QDM

DB6
29th Dec 2002, 11:37
Does your Cub have a coarse pitch prop? In terms of response to power changes it's much better to have a fine pitch prop. I flew formation in a Yak 52 recently and it was only when I asked the owner to put the prop as fine as possible that it became anything other than immensely difficult.