PDA

View Full Version : The Gadget Factor (Garmin Etrex!)

MikeSamuel
25th Dec 2002, 22:52
Oh dear oh dear. I haven't flown in ages, still haven't done any PPL ground exams and still don't have any money in the bank but the appeal of a new gadget became too much today so I succumbed and ordered a GPS.
I know I don't "need" it, and it's not an aviation specific one (Garmin Etrex) but it's shiny and cheap-ish... It's just nice to have something to see for your money at times I guess, and if the weather doesn't improve I'll only end up spending the Chirstmas money on beer :D (and newly discovered double JD and coke :o - dangerous)
So, tell me what I've let myself in for! Will an Etrex be usuable in an aircraft, obviously as a backup or just for reference, but will it function as it should up there?
Anyone own one of these little gems? Good or bad stories?!

Merry Christmas to you all, hope your day was as enjoyable and peaceful as mine!

PeteB
26th Dec 2002, 07:44
I use an e-trex as a back-up when I'm flying, and I find it quite handy. It works perfectly in an aircraft, the most useful aspects being the range to/from waypoints, and bearing to/from waypoints.
It's great when you're in an aircraft without DME and you want to report a range from, say, a VOR to ATC. If I'm in an aircraft that has full IR capability, I use it much less, but it does come in handy for finding VRP's that might otherwise be easily missed.
I fly in and out of Redhill, and being able to accurately judge where Gatwick's airspace begins is very useful.
You have to enter in your waypoints manually, which is great because you can choose the most useful one's for you.
One piece of advice though: be careful when entering waypoints using Lat/long, it can be very easy to misread the E or W part of the longitude, and therefore put your waypoint on the wrong side of the Greenwich meridian.

Crossedcontrols
26th Dec 2002, 10:42
You can connect it to a PDA (if you have one) and there's loads of software available to make it do woderfull things. (have a look at the Flight Buddy for the Pilot)I have the Summit version with a pretty good altimeter function (separate peizo sensor), so handy for the back seat to give them height direction and ground speed.
But it is after all another reason not to get your head out of the cockpit.

Merry Christmas

CC

rotorcraig
27th Dec 2002, 18:08
Hmmm... I'd just about decided to invest in a GPS-12 as I've used a friends and found it to be:

- simple to use and read in flight
- sufficiently functional without being overly complex or distracting
- relatively cheap

Should I consider an eTrex instead, and if so can anyone clarify what all the "family members" are about??!!

From the Garmin screen shots they make the GPS-12 look a bit like a brick, but do they trade features/functionality that are of use to PPL for price/looks?

PS ... I fly helis so ease of one handed operation and clarify of display are key factors!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer advice, am off to London tomorrow and will try to find a retailer that will let me play with both :p

RC

MikeSamuel
28th Dec 2002, 12:02
The eTrex just arrived this morning, excellent delivery time from the suppier! So far have only used it to navigate around the back garden, so about 100ft total distance!! Am impressed by the display and simplicity and can't wait to take it in the aeroplane...
Haven't used the 12, so can't comment, although I don't think it has a trip computer like the eTrex. Good Luck choosing!!

Oh, PS: The eTrex is most definitely one hand operation, and for size indication it's about 2/3 as long and twice as thick as my Nokia 6210. :)

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 12:29
With the size of the circuit at Coventry you'll be finding it useful sooner than you think Mike ;)
I think it was my second solo when I had to extend so far downwind that when I was finally allowed to turn base I couldn't see the airport any more...:eek:

Crossedcontrols
28th Dec 2002, 15:32
I don't think the Etrex is well suited for the pilot to use, it is a bit fiddly, only four buttons none on the front, (two either side) you have to pick it up to press the buttons. If it is left in the same mode while in flight, then fine, nice size screen (for size of unit). I'm lucky as our aircraft has a Garmin Pilot with moving map in the front, even then I only use the breadcrumb feature. I'm getting a bit retro in my old age, and enjoy dead reckoning with the map.
Connecting the Etrex to a PDA gives a biggerscreen, but a pain with all the cables, the touch screen can be fiddly, best left for the back seat to play with IMHO.

CC