PDA

View Full Version : What do you think should go in a student PPL kit?

EI_Sparks
24th Dec 2002, 14:35
Here's a question for those of you who know more about this than me (ie. all of you :D )
I've been trying to start my PPL now for a month of sundays filled with horrible wx. However, this did give me the excuse to go reread some of dad's old PPL books. Now he did his PPL in 1976, so while some things remain valid (Stick and Rudder for example), others are woefully out of date or the books have been damaged by years of poor storage :(

Since dad is requalifying for his PPL and has to resit the exams, this year's xmas gifts are basically groundschool materials for the two of us, which is nice as a father-son activity. But it does pose the question of what to put on the shopping list!

So, for studying for a JAR-PPL in Ireland, what should be on the shopping list for a PPL kit?

slim_slag
24th Dec 2002, 16:39
When I think what I always carry out to the plane, I don't usually take much more than an ANR headset. Top of the list, but a bit spendy. Very good for those of us who are now paying the price for standing too close to the rock concert loudspeakers in our foolish youth.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Dec 2002, 19:38
I'll try with a straight answer. Please note that although an active pilot, I'm not an instructor so they may have other views.

- Textbooks; a set of either the AFE books or Trevor Thom's. Frankly they're as good or bad as each other, so pick whichever you like best (or your school prefers to use).
- Reasonable quality headset, probably a DC10-40 or a Harry Mendelson HM40.
- Good kneeboard, with a selection of pockets and clips.
- Suitable paper to go in above, personally I'd just use lined paper rather than the purpose-built pads.
- Copy of proprietary VFR guide, again pick whichever you prefer.
- Pack of cheap chinagraph pencils (don't bother with the expensive propelling jobs).
- Inexpensive flight computer - you need one, but don't waste your money on a top of the range one, you won't need it.
- Pocket calculator.
- Reasonable sunglasses.
- Current quarter and half million ICAO charts with your training airfield somewhere in the middle.
- Permanent felt tip pens, and erasor for same, for writing on charts.
- Square protractor.
- Copy of whatever manual or checklist your school prefers for the aircraft you'll be training on.

- This is a personal preference, but some thin leather gloves for wearing in the aircraft.

- Cheap toploading briefcase or similar for use as a flight bag, big enough to hold all the above plus a pack of sandwiches, but not much bigger.

That lot should pretty much see you through your PPL and (bar document updates) first few years of flying.

G

BRL
24th Dec 2002, 19:41
If you look at Transair, they do a PPL starter kit. That may help you compile a wish-list. :)

Fly Stimulator
25th Dec 2002, 09:58
- Cheap toploading briefcase or similar for use as a flight bag, big enough to hold all the above plus a pack of sandwiches, but not much bigger.

That lot should pretty much see you through your PPL...

Unless you complete your PPL with precocious speed, you may find it prudent to update the sandwiches from time-to-time. ;)

incubus
25th Dec 2002, 21:27
I'd mostly concur with Genghis, but with a few changes.

I don't think a beginner really needs to go to the expense of a headset as the school ought to provide.
Likewise, a VFR flight guide isn't really a training necessity. I'd put these 2 items on the other list, you know - the one for when you get to the other end of the course.

Instead of the square protractor, you can get a nice circular one. This is down to preference I guess.

I'd also add a CP-R nav plotter, which makes planning those nav legs that little bit easier :-) This can be used instead of a standard, scale ruler but I like my ruler so I'd suggest both.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2002, 08:02
Oh yes, a ruler - good point. Scaled in both 1:250,000 and 1:500,000.

G

paulo
26th Dec 2002, 13:04
The essential PPL kit is: A big fat chequebook.

Everything else you need flows from there... :p

aidanf
26th Dec 2002, 19:29
'paulo' - a big fat chequebook may indeed be desirable, however money to support it your scribblings on same also helps!

EI - Sparks - A good series of Pilot Instruction books will also be on the shopping list. The school I'm learning at utilises the 'Trevor Thom' series to good effect.

FlyingForFun
27th Dec 2002, 09:30
Only problem with all this is, as discussed a month or two ago on a different thread, if you buy stuff now, it may not suit your personal needs. For example, you might buy a nice expensive A4 knee-board, only to find later on that you happen to prefer an A5 knee-board....

FFF
-----------

EI_Sparks
28th Dec 2002, 09:47
FFF, true, but how do you get around that? I mean, I'm Irish - the UK might have a try-before-you-buy arrangement but we don't :( Hell, I'm still getting over the way you can see something you like in a UK shop and ask for it to be held for you for an hour or so while you wander around other shops looking for something better!
You just can't do that here :( Or at least I've never seen it done ...

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 10:17
Like I said to you last night (why don't men listen??? :rolleyes: ):

You won't need one for the first few hours of flying. By that time you'll know some people in the flying school. Ask to borrow theirs and see what you like.
Or
Buy a cheap one, and when you know what features of it you like/dislike, buy yourself a nice one.

I really do think which kneeboard to buy is something you shouldn't be worrying about at this stage.

Circuit Basher
28th Dec 2002, 16:19
Aerbabe: - the reason men don't listen is because they know it all!! ;) ;) :D
[That should be good enough to get this moved to Jet Blast, BRL!]

Seriously, I'd vote with the 'buy it as you go' school. As you fly with a few different instructors, see what they use and ask them about the pros / cons of their selection. That way, when you do invest your hard earned, you'll have a reaonable idea of what is likely to suit you. In terms of headsets, I'd second the choice of a cheap (but comfortable) pair. While you're skipping in and out of a variety of rented trainers, there's every possibility that there are either compatibility quirks (and you may even to get to lose a set in the spamcan or the club bar!!) or things that you find you like / don't like about headsets. Once you're a big, grown-up, sensible PPL, then think about shelling out a bit more dosh on something that will last and relegate the other pair (if you still have them) to a pax set.

Mr Wolfie
29th Dec 2002, 07:51
EI Sparks:
First thing to buy?

A shiny new medical certificate.

(A chap at my club been ready to solo for 10 weeks. Problem with medical. He's now looking to resolve things using the NPPL route, but a lot of stress and dissapointment, and he wishes he had got that hurdle out of the way prior to taking to the air).

Mr. W

Saab Dastard
29th Dec 2002, 21:59
I'd add the PPL Confuser to the list.

Assuming that the exams are the same/similar or that there is an equivalent practice exam book in Ireland.

And no jokes about confusing the Irish - I'm Irish too ;)

SD

FlyingForFun
30th Dec 2002, 09:28
EI,

Oh dear, you haven't made the fatal mistake of not listening to AerBabe have you? :D She's completely right, though... you'll get a good idea of what you need before you need it. You'll be able to borrow things from your instructor before you actually need to buy. Usually there's no need to buy before you try - but if there is, get a cheap one.

(After my first couple of lessons, I realised I needed to carry a pen with me when I fly. I like blue - if I used black, it's harder to tell the difference between the hand-written and the printed bits of my flight log. I find biros easy to write with. I want a pen with a push-button-thingy, not a lid, because I'd drop a lid when flying and at best lose it, at worst it would get caught somewhere it shouldn't. I went to a stationary shop and found some pens that met my criteria. I've stuck with the same brand of pen ever since. Silly, I know - but it just goes to show that personal preferences extend to every aspect of your flying!)

FFF
---------------

EI_Sparks
30th Dec 2002, 13:45
*sighs*
No, I did listen to Aerbabe - I almost always do, because she knows more than me in most things - but that post complaining against the lack of try-before-you-buy was actually posted a few days ago - I just posted it accidentally to the "nav book" thread due to a sudden loss of situational awareness :D :p So I copied it over to here, though I probably should have just deleted it since it wasn't relevant anymore. D'Oh :(

StrateandLevel
30th Dec 2002, 16:01
"Since dad is requalifying for his PPL and has to resit the exams"

Not any more, he only has to pass the Class rating Skill test as of Sept 2002.

FlyingForFun
30th Dec 2002, 16:06
EI,

She knows more than me in most thingsI dare you to tell us, in a public forum, which things you know more about than AerBabe :D

(* Sits back and waits for fireworks *)

FFF
-----------

AerBabe
30th Dec 2002, 16:20
One word FFF - 'maths' ;)

FlyingForFun
30th Dec 2002, 16:24
Aww, AerBabe, you've ruined all my fun by telling him the answer! :D :( :D

EI_Sparks
30th Dec 2002, 17:14
:D Yup, maths. And soldering. And rifles. All terribly relevant to anything in the real world... NOT! :rolleyes: :)
I'd add car maintainance to the list, but about ten minutes ago I managed (while admittedly rather tired and working in the dark) put the nicely recharged battery into my car ... backwards. :(
Now where's that thread of wholigan's about dumbass things to have done to yourself...

Strateandlevel - No, the IAA says he has to resit. Mind you, he has been away from the cockpit for a month or two over 20 years .... :eek: :eek: :eek:

AerBabe
30th Dec 2002, 17:37
Hmmm... I know how to solder. :p

EI_Sparks
30th Dec 2002, 17:58
Ah, but can you solder the component, the track and your finger into one large lump? :D