PDA

View Full Version : NIMBYs target Welshpool and Wolverhampton

PFLsAgain
18th Dec 2002, 15:52
Gotta wonder what's in the water round our way!

One lot of protesters are having a go at Welshpool
story here (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/december02/16th/airport.asp)

and their fellow kindred spirits see fit to have a go at Wolverhampton
story here (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/december02/18th/airport.asp)

nonradio
18th Dec 2002, 16:16
I think there's nimbyism and nimbyism - I have sympathy for the lot that feel a snood uncomfy with £400 mill of development plans! If my local A/D wanted seriously to bring in B737 (say) traffic I'd be worried about the environment and whether there'd be room for us GA types anymore....

Rote 8
18th Dec 2002, 16:43
I simply refuse to believe that anyone is seriously considering pouring £400 million pounds into Wolverhampton.

Furthermore it is absurd to suggest that people living in the area would take foreign holidays on the basis that the airfield was developed. Those who wish to holiday in Wales, or other parts of the UK generally do so for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with the proximity to their nearest airport, even overlooking the fact that Birmingham Airport is just down the road. I’m sure that this is as blindingly obvious to Stourbridge MP Debra Shipley as it is to me. The woman clearly understands that it will have virtually no impact on the local tourist industry; she simply does not want to have aeroplanes ‘buzzing around’ and this tenuous excuse is as good as any other.

Bobbington, Kinver and Claverley quite simply do not attract a lot of walkers. I should know. I was brought up between Bobbington and Claverley. If any one is minded to visit Shropshire for the walking they will almost certainly set their sights further to the South and West of the County and visit the Long Mynd.

The kind of person who would choose to spend their spare time and holidays visiting the countryside of Shropshire (and I recommend it to you all) would not be swayed towards a fortnights beer fest in Kavos instead simply because there is an airfield in the area. Instead I would imagine the effect on local tourism would be quite the opposite.

Delta Wun-Wun
18th Dec 2002, 18:16
Non- Radio,
I wouldn`t worry about 737`s coming to Wolverhampton.......as they will have to get a move-on as the place shuts at 530 PM.:D

A and C
18th Dec 2002, 21:57
It is typical of the failed writers on third rate local papers to try to get a "national" scoop for then selfs so as airport expantion is in the national news at the moment these half wits think that they are breaking a "national" story with this rubbish.

The fact of the matter is that the nationals would not touch a piece writen by one of these sad wannabes with a barge pole.

poetpilot
19th Dec 2002, 09:08
Most of it is just positioning and jockeying for pieces of the national commercial air transport policy shake up thing......

..and as rightly said before, if the proposals come to pass the effect on GA will probably be negative (as proven already at Wolverhampton-make-more-than-a-halfpenny-green-with-envy-moneyport).

S*d the lot of them, regional authorities and protestors.... they know nothing about aviation (arguably even less than the journalists).

...as you can see, I'm in real festive mood today :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dufus
19th Dec 2002, 14:51
Not only do the regional authourities and protesters know nothing about aviation.....the "Director of Development" here at The Green knows s@d all about it as well.

There are whispers of Ryan Air this and Corporate that and until this Clavely By-pass gets built there isnt a cat in hells chance of getting coaches, Artics and the like anywhere near here.

Plus, (Now you've got me started), theyve displaced the threshold of 34 so much (For the ILS one would imagine) that unless whatever plans on flying in doesnt mind using an arrester hook or a catapult launch you can forget anything of that size using this field.

To make this field viable it would involve the purchase of greenbelt, roads being closed, hills being moved, etc....and I cant see anyone being silly enough to plow their hard earned into such a project, especially when Cosford is only a few miles away with a beautiful runway, a much better infrastructure already in place and a stones throw from the M54 which leads to the M6. I know that Cosford has been dismissed but who knows what change of mood may take place in a few years time.

A Dornier was brought in a year or so ago with a view to running a small charter operation to the Channel Isles etc... only to find that it couldnt taxy between the tower and the hangar, something to do with it wingspan being too wide....sigh!

The rumours that float around here are embarrasing and it shames me that such a beautiful field (well it could be) with such a rich history is making a mockery out of itself through ignorance and more ignorance.

This is Wolverhampton SpacePort signing off.

Timothy
31st Dec 2002, 15:40
I wonder how much Class D airspace they will want to create. Actually, knowing "WBA" they will probably demand Class A.

The only good thing to come out of this might be that the investers get roasted and out of the ashes the phoenix of lovely old Halfpenny Green will emerge.

Rattus
1st Jan 2003, 23:36
Rote8

Ironically, the only place in the West Midlands where a pedestrian has been recently killed by an aircraft is... Long Mynd.

Having said that, has anybody else seen Antony Woodward's tailpiece in the 19-26 December edition of Country Life?

Fake bubonic plague, anthrax, smallpox - anything - just get into your GPs waiting room and read it.

Tear the page out and send a photocopy to every rural planning authority in the United Kingdom.

Happy New Year

Rattus

Rote 8
2nd Jan 2003, 09:17
Rattus

Vega Strip incident aside the Mynd is a much more pleasant spot for walking than the countryside surrounding Bobbington.

I’m sure you will agree.

Will try and root out that Country Life. I read Propellerhead and felt a great deal of empathy.

Happy New Year to all.

poetpilot
3rd Jan 2003, 07:31
Rote 8, if you (or anyone else) can find that Country Life article before me, I'd be very grateful if you could drop me a quick email at [email protected].

If I find it, I promise I'll scan it in and put it up here.