PDA

View Full Version : PPL ground school, USA style

zczcr39
18th Dec 2002, 11:51
Hi all,

I've heard various acounts of the quality of the PPL ground school at different FTOs in the US. Not only in terms of the care they take teaching it to you (i.e non) but also that the amount of time you need to spend on it during the short amount of time these courses take (i.e 4 weeks) means that the whole experience is so tiring that it becomes no fun at all.

I've searched the threads but can't seem to find any conclusive advice about it. Is it best to do a ground school course here in the UK first and give yourself time to enjoy yourself in the US? Or is the ground school inextricably linked to the practical training that it should all be done at once?

If this topic has been done before maybe someone could link me to the thread. If not, any ideas?,

Many thanks,

FlyingForFun
18th Dec 2002, 12:55
zc,

Have read your post several times, and I'm still not quite sure what you're asking. Are you saying that you're going to the US to do a JAR(UK) PPL - and that you want advice on whether to do the groundschool there, or whether to do it here first?

If that's the case, then the general opinion seems to be that you should do it here, before you go. There simply isn't time to get a PPL, do the ground school, and have fun while you're out there. But you must realise that, by studying before you do any flying, you'll find things a little harder - a lot of what you read won't make much sense at first.

I should say that I didn't do my training in the US, so this advice only comes from listenting to what others have said, not from personal experience.

Good luck!

FFF
----------------