PDA

View Full Version : Equal pay with the Europeans in the future?

mhk77
17th Dec 2002, 21:18
Now I'm a relative newcomer to ATC and NATS, but I heard something interesting the other day. It was basically along the lines that in the next 5 years or so, European licences will become a uniform qualification, ie a UK licence would be eligible in Spain, France or Germany for example along with 30+ other European countries signing up to the scheme. Does anyone else know anything more about this and if this is the case, does that surely not mean that with a united ATC system across Europe, there would be a uniform pay scale as well because from what I have gathered in my short career so far, NATS controllers, though RELATIVELY well paid in my opinion, earn up to half what controllers in other European countries earn. :confused:

AlanM
17th Dec 2002, 22:37
EXTREMELY unlikely!! - as the main UK provider (NATS) is a seperate business now and will pay what is deemed to be the going rate - be it higher or lower than on the Continent.

One thing that did make me laugh though... the other day I heard someone saying how great a Euro wide licence would be and it would open more doors for us Brits.

Of course - as we all speak foreign languages fluent enough to go and live in another country......unlike the rest of Europe!!

Still, our lower pay will surely keep our jobs safe!

TrafficTraffic
18th Dec 2002, 05:49
...All of a sudden you WANT to be part of Europe now

Radar
18th Dec 2002, 13:13
Heeeeyyyy, welcome back TT,

God it's been quiet around here of late :) The short range shopping trip went well I hear ...... you're only half broke !!

TrafficTraffic
18th Dec 2002, 16:57
Dont get me wrong, I am all for UK to be part of the EU...it wont take you guys long to get used to Euros instead of Pounds....Kilograms instead of..hold on Pounds....Kilometres instead of Miles.....

...Of course when you guys have to start driving on the other side of the road - thats another thing.

And as for the equal pay bit - well in the United States of Europe the pay is in proportion to skill - so I wouldnt be looking to have the same system as us....I mean you wouldnt want a Pay Cut would you!

;) (Merry Christmas - the TT way)

Justin Time
23rd Dec 2002, 08:48
Well I couldn't possibly comment on the skill based pay but it seems that no one is inclined (or skillful enough ???? ) to challenge your previous comments. Is morale gotten to the extraordinary low point that nobody in Swanwick can even be bothered rising to the bait anymore?????

Its no fun shooting at gophers if they won't put their heads of their holes !!!!!

porra
24th Dec 2002, 14:14
Oh Traffic...

Looks like you've gone and shot yourself in the foot...Did you know that the pay in the UK is of the lowest in Europe...?

NATS = No Skill

TrafficTraffic
24th Dec 2002, 18:21
Umm Porra - perhaps you should try an easier forum - the NATS forum maybe?