PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Belfast Aldergrove - EGAA

VORTIME
13th Dec 2002, 20:00
Hi -

I'm planning a VFR flight from the south to Aldergrove. Could any locals possibly share some tips or advise for such?

VT

Mister Gash
14th Dec 2002, 21:05
VORTIME,

It's a pretty straightforward flight with no real surprises along the way.

I'm assuming you'll be VFR and flying from 'south' means the Republic, so here are my tips...

If you are flyinging from DUB, just take a direct route but take into account the high terrain in the Mourne mountains. If the cloudbase is low, do not attempt to squeeze in through the gap around Newry - tried it before and it there can very unpleasant cloud and turbulence surprises around the gap with very little room for a 180! Far better to route west of the mountains in these conditions, but also be very aware of the prohibited and restricted areas there. Also watch out for intensive helo activity.

Disused airfields such as Langford Lodge and Nutt's Corner are used as reporting points and are easily spotted from the air, just don't make the mistake of landing at one of them (many have before)!

Make sure you have an up-to-date UK North chart (as well as a ground chart for Aldergrove) and that you're familiar with UK R/T procedure, which is far more disciplined and structured than down south.

On the ground, you will be directed to the 'GAT' (general aviation terminal) from where you should make your way to the flight school, which handles VFR arrivals and provides met, flight-planning and a warm welcome and cuppa.

Hope this helps.

Gash