PDA

View Full Version : RAF Grobh Tutor Crashes in Scotland

propjockey
12th Dec 2002, 11:01
Taken from BBC News. Glad to see both OK and their FL was successful. Gartoharn is surround by hills so must have been fun but the actual village area does have some nice flat fields so good choice!

Anyway glad to see them both OK.

Wednesday, 11 December, 2002, 18:09 GMT
RAF plane crash lands

The plane came down near Loch Lomond

A Royal Air Force training aircraft has crash landed near Loch Lomond.
The Grob Tutor had two people on board when it came down in a field near Gartocharn at about 1510 GMT.

The instructor and a student walked away unharmed after the aircraft, which suffered engine failure, landed on a hedge.

The student was believed to be from Glasgow University.

There are procedures in the event of engine failure and that was successfully carried out

Glasgow University spokeswoman
The aircraft was operated by the Officer Training Corps air squadron, which provides RAF flying training to students attending universities in the Glasgow area.

A Glasgow University spokeswoman expressed relief that both those on board the plane were unharmed.

"There are procedures in the event of engine failure and that was successfully carried out," she said.

"Evidence of that is that the two people on board walked away from the aircraft.

Stood down

"The student has spoken to his mum."

A Sea King rescue helicopter from HMS Gannet, Prestwick, was scrambled but stood down after it emerged the two people were safe.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: "We got a report that a light aircraft had gone into a field.

"There were no injuries."

Was there not another recent Grobh Tutor engine failure this month in the South??

What engine is in it - I thought it was a Lycoming?

regards

Simon

Sassenach
12th Dec 2002, 11:12
I was taxying out at Prestwick when the Sea King was scrambled - it was back again within two minutes.

Does anyone know which Grob was involved? I am aware that one of them had some engine starting and running problems very recently (which were apparently fixed using a mallet and brute force).

propjockey
14th Dec 2002, 20:39
engine failure on this one.

Capt George my galant instructor and the Robin were leaving Glasgow when they picked the mayday up. Shot over and by the time he was there the Grob was on the ground in a very small field with the nose thru a hedge!

both student and instructor OK.

SKJ from P'wick recalled as the police helo from Glasgow went to their aid.

Glad all safe n well

and thanks for Capt George for his efforts and the Mighty Robin - Lima Golf!

regards

Simon