PDA

View Full Version : Free seat on flying trip in US and availability of a nice plane

drauk
10th Dec 2002, 11:22
Earlier this year I rented a plane in Arizona and flew it solo around the south west for a few days. It was great fun, but for two things: (i) it would have been nice to have someone to talk to whilst flying, someone to fold the maps, look up something in a flight guide, tune the radio, etc. and just generally be part of the trip and possibly do some of the flying and (ii) the plane was an old clunker with poor avionics and an engine which didn't inspire much confidence.

I want to go again, but this time I want to fix both of these problems. As such, I have two questions:

1) Do you want to come flying for a week in the US? I have plenty of friends who'd like a holiday in America but none who are keen on flying. I'm undecided as to where but it'll likely be either in the south west or Florida. I'm flexible with regard to your participation - if you have a PPL and want to get a temporary US license that's great, if you don't want to or don't yet have your UK license that is okay too. You'd only pay anything for the plane if you were logging the hours, so if you are just along for the ride the flying would cost you nothing. I'll probably be doing about 25 hours, depending on the weather. I'm flexible as to when to go, but probably within the first 2 months of 2003.

2) Does anybody know a good location from which to rent a modern-ish plane with decent avionics (two working radios, two VORs, GPS and AP)? I'm not that bothered about type - something pretty standard is fine PA-28, C172, AA5B or perhaps one of the newer Diamonds or something.

david viewing
10th Dec 2002, 12:26
I just got back from a trip flying out of two different FBOs with coincidentally similar names:

Westair at North Las Vegas (VGT) ttp://www.westairaviation.com/

and

Northaire at Prescott Az (PRC) http://www.northaire.com/

Both have new 172's as well as old but properly equipped N models (which I fly) and both airports have good facilities and quite a lot of scenery.

Prices are $80 - $100 plus tax and both FBO's provide good checkride facilities and briefings. I have no connection with either.

FlyingForFun
10th Dec 2002, 13:44
Hmm, so tempting! If I could afford to take the time off work, I'd be first in the queue... especially if you were going to the south-west, since I spent two months flying there last year and loved it! Oh well, I hope we at least get to see some pics.... ;)

FFF
-------------

Crowe
10th Dec 2002, 13:44
Drauk

when are you thinking of going?

I did a few hours in CA & NV last year, and would certainly be up for it again - like you say, gets a bit lonely flying five or six hours a day on your tod.

reckon the SW is more fun than Florida though - LA, Vegas, Grand Canyon has got to be better than Miami - with the possible exception of watching a space shuttle lauch from the air!

cheers

alexcrwfrd
10th Dec 2002, 17:11
i'm likely to be off to florida again this febuary but want to rent
in the cheaper sector, i.e. a tomahawk, at about 50usd/wet hour.
if you are interested in sharing or meeting up anywhere, then shout ! i'm in the uk and have an email address of
[email protected]
bluskyz, alex

drauk
10th Dec 2002, 17:44
alexcrwfrd: Thanks for the offer, but I'm really interested in flying something other than the cheapest available. If that changes I'll let you know.

Crowe: I'll probably be going in Jan or Feb 2003. I've flown around AZ before (including Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.) which makes me think I should try Florida, though I appreciate the notion that most people believe the west to be better than Florida.

VFE
10th Dec 2002, 19:30
Gotta mate with a C172SP that is not even one year old. It has AP, GPS, 2 radios, two VORS, headrests, cup holders - the lot! Great plane. I took two 18 year old burdz down to the Keys in it one Friday night and it was ideal. ;)

Based at Melbourne international and currently up for hire at $98 wet per hour.

Email me for a phone number if you're interested.

VFE.

MikeSamuel
10th Dec 2002, 20:09
Is the situation still vacant?! If you are thinking about February, drop me a line, I would be very interested to hear more. I was thinking of doing a similar thing during the summer, but don't think my finances could stretch to it. I reckon I could scrape together the cash for flight/accomodation as long as you're not planning on staying in 5*!
Am dying to see the US somehow this year before I hit 4 years of hard degree study and poverty!
Oh by the way, I'm a PPL student, got 15 hours (has taken me 15 months or more) and I'm happy just sitting in, taking in the view, familiarising myself with everything...

ModernDinosaur
10th Dec 2002, 20:22
Sounds like a really good scheme - wish I could come along (in fact, if you're still looking nearer the time, give me a call and I'll try harder).

Having flown both the Diamond Katana and the Star (albeit the latter only twice), I think these would both make excellent "hour building" aircraft. Both aircraft benefit/suffer from the huge bubble canopy - great visibility, but a bit like a greenhouse until you're in the air.

I think you'll be lucky to find a Katana with all of the avionics you're looking for: it is possible, but most are used as primary training aircraft and just don't need an AP, for example. I do know that Katanas can be hired in both FL and CA.

The Star is a much bigger aeroplane, and much more stable as a result. I should think most have the avionics you're looking for and more besides. However it's a very new aerolplane, and unless you can find a DA40-TDI, it'll be quite expensive. I don't know of any for hire anywhere in the US, but I also haven't been looking recently.

Hope you enjoy your flying.

MD.

Flyboy-F33
10th Dec 2002, 22:47
Might be interested here, more so for the SW option than Florida,
I have a full FAA licence and fly a Bonanza here in the UK.
Let me know when exactly you have in mind.

a pilot
12th Dec 2002, 03:55
I DONT KNOW WHEN YOU FLEW LAST IN USA,HANGAR TALK WITH THE LOCALS-WE DONT WANT FOREIGNERS TO FLY HERE,OTHERS-DONT WANT THEM TO BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE HERE,DONT WANT THEM TO BE HERE,THIS IS A TYPICAL CHAT.FOREIGN PILOTS HAVE BEEN CALLED OUT OF THE SKY BY ATC-ONLY VIOLATION-THE ACCENT,REFUSAL TO PICK YOU UP FROM THE AIRPORT-NOW IT HAPPENS. THE LIST IS LONG AND UGLY,YOU MIGHT STILL HAVE A GOOD TIME BUT WHATS WRONG WITH SPENDING YOUR MONEY IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

VFE
12th Dec 2002, 07:50
a pilot,

Utter twoddle pal.

VFE.

drauk
12th Dec 2002, 10:40
A Pilot,

I find it hard to believe that anything but a small minority of people in US aviation don't want foreigners to fly in the US. But you say that you personally don't and I guess you know what you know. So why don't you want foreigners to fly in the US? And what has changed since August when you recommended places to visit in California to guy from Scotland?

knobbygb
12th Dec 2002, 12:31
I wasn't going to bother to grace that crap with a reply, but... I've been to the States three times since last September, although only one trip involved any flying. The idea that people don't even want foreigners in the country is ridiculous. I've been made to feel welcome wherever I've been and many people showed genuine gratitude that tourists were still bothering visiting their country despite all the restrictions.

Unfortunetley, you'll get a minority of bigoted loud-mouth hypocrites in any section of people, anywhere in the world. It's just a shame that a fellow pilot has to lower theirselves to that level.

drauk, enjoy your trip - I'm sure the cash-strapped FBO's will be tripping over themselves to rent you an a/c. I'd love to come with you if I had the time. As FFF says, we wanna see the pictures! If you go to Arizona, Sedona is stunning.

SuperOwl
12th Dec 2002, 12:41
I already made a reply to "A Pilot" that was quite strongly worded which I removed as I felt that by saying such things as I did that I was not only stooping to his level but also demeaning the people of the U.S. who are decent, honest, well meaning folk.

I also agree with the above comment that maybe "A Pilots" comments did not merit a reply. But on the other hand, if we let him know that we won't put up with crap like that he may not bother to do it again.

A Pilot, to parody what you say about us Brits (as George "Dubya" Bush said "America's truest friend") spending money in another country, WHY DON'T YOU GO AND MAKE YOUR MORONIC COMMENTS ON ANOTHER WEBSITE?

If anybody saw my previous post on this I apologise. And Drauk, if you want to go and can organise it, GO FOR IT! Ignore that idiot!:mad:

FireFoxDown
12th Dec 2002, 12:48
Guys,
Im an SPL(20hours, C150) based in Dublin,Ireland. During the summer i'd like to get some hour-building in - an ideal situation i think would be if i could meet up with someone(maybe a CFI?) that also wants to add a few hours. They could act as P1, and i as Pu/t. I'm willing to travel(was considering Australia or America but anywhere really). Any suggestions/offer gratefully received! :)

SuperOwl - couldn't have put it better myself! lol! :p

Regards,
FFD ( [email protected] )

drauk
12th Dec 2002, 13:06
Fear not, I have no intention of not going on the basis of "A Pilot"'s comment. I've been to the US several times in the last year and had a great time, every time. I've flown there this year too (as per my original post) and received a very warm welcome. I was and am curious as to the justification for his comments.

I've pictures of my previous trip, including of the cranky old plane, the transition over downtown Phoenix and its international airport, Sedona, Page, etc. if people are contemplating the trip and need some encouragement.

Circuit Basher
12th Dec 2002, 13:59
Must confess to checking on 'A PILOT's profile to check he wasn't really George W Bush, but just wrote that post off as a troll or someone who has just heard that cross-burning is no longer encouraged and needs to learn some manners.

Go for it drauk - if you have a discount deal with any divorce lawyers, then you could have a P2!!! ;) ;) :D

VFE
12th Dec 2002, 16:29
The USA is made up of citizens from foriegn shores. Not once in the whole time I was in the States did I meet one real Native American. Everyone has their patriotic roots in other countries (as well as with the USA obviously). Where are your ancestors from "a pilot"?

ATC might have to engage a couple of extra cells in decifering foriegn accents but even the most stressed out controller is not going to wish there were no foriegn pilots in the US as that would mean he/she probably wouldn't have a job!

Well done to "a pilot" for getting everyone at it. One suspects that was his motive. :rolleyes:

Go and play in Jet Blast "a pilot". I am sure you'll find plenty of friends there. ;)

VFE.

EnglishmaninNY
12th Dec 2002, 17:29
Complete nonsense :rolleyes: I have flown in the US and the UK, and now live and fly in the US (New York), and regularly in California. I have a completely British accent, and have received nothing but good service from just about everbody. Sometimes, there is obviously a little confusion on the radio due to the language differences, but generally, a great place to fly, east or west - both very different. Enjoy :)

englishal
12th Dec 2002, 18:08
APilot,

If you don't want Foreigners in the USA, why don't you [insert expletive here so I don't get another warning :)] off to another forum.....Maybe the "I've been on the Gerry Springer show" one....you sound like you should have been on there in any case.

I was there a few weeks ago, very friendly, even INS at LAX....

Cheerio
EA:)

a pilot
13th Dec 2002, 23:13
JUST LETTING YOU KNOW WHAT`S GOING ON,IT`S TRUE.

West Coast
14th Dec 2002, 04:53
You chaps are always welcome over here. I fly all over the US, not one iota of truth to what that nimrod says. Now of course, leave our women alone!

Sensible
15th Dec 2002, 22:49
A Pilot is not a pilot in my view. I'm just back from flying in the USA and have re-confirmed my opinion that the yanks are about the friendliest people on the face of the earth once past immigration!!!

I'm always up for flying in the USA, have a US ppl conversion, tailwheel time, actual IFR time, a GPS, spare cash and clear after the middle of March and am happy to fly PA28's or 172's and no wish to go commercial. California is a nice base for hour building.

Keef
15th Dec 2002, 23:10
Drauk

It's awful tempting...

I've flown from ADP at Brackett (LA area) on some fabulous long sightseeing trips, from Naples (Florida) once - to do an FAA IR and a PPL to attach it to, and many times around the Detroit area and across Michigan.

If I were going on a flying holiday, it would always have to be California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and around there. The scenery is breathtaking! Florida is friendly, warm, flat, and wet.

Present plans don't include a US trip in Feb/March 2003, but I'll let the seed germinate and see what happens. Have you a "partner" yet?

My preference, given a choice, would be an IFR-equipped Arrow or similar. If I could get my claws on a Commander 114, that would be heaven!

Julian
16th Dec 2002, 07:37
Came back from CA about 5 weeks ago after 3 weeks flying out there and was not called out of the sky once!!! Seems 'a pilot' must be confused which country he is in.

What didi surprise me was that INS at LAX, who are normally the worst in the world to deal with, didnt seem to really care and just waved me through - I think he manage two words and about 10 seconds stood in front of him...nomrally about 5 mins questioning and occasionally baggage search!!