PDA

View Full Version : Stuck for a year.HELP!

aaaabbbbcccc1111
5th Dec 2002, 16:04
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help.
I have applied for a position of trainee air traffic controller with NATS. I will be sitting the tests in FEB/MAR, I am working on the preminition that I will succeed starting course in JAN 04(keeping all fingers and toes crossed).
My problem is I am in the Royal Navy, I have submitted my notice and due to leave the Navy in Jan 03.
I want to use the year I am out constructively but also to support my wife and kids. I have applied for jobs to keep a good income coming in,but these are jobs that would not need much brain power. I would love to obtain a job which is along the lines of which I have applied for. I have tried NATS who have suggested I submit my CV and they would let me know if any suitable temporary jobs came in. Bearing in mind I have no air traffic control experiance.
Has anyone got any suggestions.

Andy

Bright-Ling
5th Dec 2002, 16:28
Not sure really, but you may find that if successful you may start within 12 months. Cases of people starting within 4 or 5 months of the first test or not uncommon.

You could always let recruitment know this after you have passed the first test. Either way, they occasionally need a bit of a gee-up to get things going quickly!

Good luck

B-L

BEXIL160
5th Dec 2002, 16:59
Hello again,

I'll try to help. It depends where you are.... Pomey or Guz?

If you're down in Plymouth then it's gonna be a bit tricky, but if you can't anything aviation related use the time to bone up on all things to do with flying.

Start reading "Flight International" (it was brilliant, but not so good now).

Visit as many ATC units as you can. Just ring them up, explain your position and that you'd like to visit and they will be more than happy to help. Don't forget to ring Culdrose if you're down that way, there are lots of units at SeaHawk that can widen your experience. All good stuff come interview time.

Take one of the local flying clubs "trial lessons". even if you don't learn to fly, it will give you some idea of what this aviation lark is all about and you will hear ATC in operation as well.

If you happen to be up near Portsmouth, well much the same thing BUT... Do try to visit the London ACC at Swanwick. As before, a phone call is all that's required.

As for aviation jobs, you could try Southampton Airport. Don't worry too much about exactly what you get offered, at least you'd be at the airport and in position to get experience. many senior airline Capts, an more than a few ATCOs started sweeping hangar floors!

Rgds BEX.

P.S. Thanks for the mail. To answer you:

Killick RO (I think they are OM "c"s now), a LONG time ago (79-84)
Yes, your experience will help. Being to THINK calmly and clearly when your plan is all going to rats**t is essential!

Best of luck.

Oh, a quick P.S.

A mate of mine has just attended a resettlement course at NELSON. He tells me that the firms that are involved with immigration at the major UK airports are in the market for ex-RN personnel, for a job known as "profiling".

Can't help any more than that, but try ringing NELSON.

rgds BEX

Goidel
6th Dec 2002, 10:01
B-L

At the moment the earliest course is Jan 2004. Just found out yesterday that I have a place on that course starting then, although I had explained to them that I could do with something earlier.

aa...
Know what you mean mate, am not sure that I want to wait around for over a year with no real income and then go to a college that seems to have bad press with those that have passed through it (Refering to the college thread above.) Not sure what do to.

G.

Bright-Ling
6th Dec 2002, 10:23
There were people on my course who started with a weeks notice as people fall out/aren't csecurity cleared etc before THEY are due to start.

Ask to be considered before your planned start date.

As I said, they (recruitment) sometimes need geeing up.

B-L

Goidel
6th Dec 2002, 10:31
B-L

Cheers mate, will try that and see what happens. Seems a shame though if they get people passed through the tests and interviews and then drop out because they have to hang around for a year to start training.

Heres hoping for something sooner,

G.

niknak
6th Dec 2002, 12:04
At the risk of being an incredibly dull old fart, give thought to what you'll do if you don't get offered a cadetship.

You'll lose nothing by applying now for as many jobs which are going to lead to a similar career structure, be it in avaition or whatever else.
If you get offered a cadetship - you'll have the enviable option, if you don't, at least you've got a career path to follow.