PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth Flight

DuncanF
3rd Dec 2002, 12:52
Guys,

It's my old man's 70th in January and he's always wanted to go in a Tiger Moth. Two questions:

1) How can I best locate a flight experience place near where he lives (Southport) which could arrange this for him.

2) Would his age bar him from this sort of childish behaviour?!

Many thanks,

Duncan

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Dec 2002, 12:58
There's one at Barton that does pleasure flights. I think it's mostly those overpiced 'adventures' you can buy in WH Smiths and Boots, But I'm sure they'd be up for a direct approach. Don't know any contact details but LAC at Barton will.

Age not a problem provided he's fit enough to get into the Tiger.

SSD

capt_sparky
3rd Dec 2002, 13:03
The company in question is Avia Special. Details on the web at:

http://www.aviaspecial.com/pleasurefly/

Ludwig
3rd Dec 2002, 14:44
Try Northamptonshire School of Flying Sywell 01604 644678 www.nsof.co.uk
Sensible prices

Aussie Andy
3rd Dec 2002, 16:19
These guys, at Wycombe, are great - I have been up myself, and sent half-dozen friends/family over the years... wonderful!

See http://www.tigerfly.org/

tacpot
3rd Dec 2002, 18:04
I had a flight with Avia Special at Barton as a Birthday present - it got me back into flying! The chap getting in after me looked about 70, so there wouldn't appear to be an age restriction as such. The route into the front seat requires a degeee of suppleness, but provided your pop can lift his legs as high as his waist, he should be able to clamber in.

He will get a blast out of it, although the airspace around Sywell is much more conducive to enjoyable flying. Going direct to Avia Special should save something over the 'Birthday Experiences' sold by Boots/WHSmiths.

formationfoto
3rd Dec 2002, 18:19
DuncanF
Barton seems the best bet although if prepared to travel places like Cambridge have a lot to offer (they teach ab initio on Tigers). Great experience and no age bar other than the need to clanber up on a wing and climb into the open cockpit without putting foor through fabric. I have yet to fly someone in a tiger and have them do anything other than smile afterwards.

matspart3
3rd Dec 2002, 19:09
...or Tiger Airways at Gloucester
www.tigerairways.co.uk
Flew their Stampe a few months ago, great fun!! Hope I'm still up to it when I'm 70

sycamore
3rd Dec 2002, 19:19
Just make sure the"old-man" has got his thermal/silk long-johns .thermal vest,and socks on, as well as a silk scarfe ;after flight a wee dram and a "big momma" to give him a goood rub-down would make his day!!:D ;) :p

poetpilot
4th Dec 2002, 07:20
You could always ask direct at Barton - Martin Rushbrooke is one of the pilots who flies it, and he's also deputy CFI at Barton.

The scenery to the north of Barton is great on a good day - out over the rivington reservoirs & winter hill, over the moorland. If you pay for an hour, you may well get to Southport and back.... (but best put winter drawers on...):D

Aerohack
4th Dec 2002, 07:37
Age is definitely no barrier. The de Havilland Moth Club numbers several septuagenarian Tiger Moth owners/pilots among its membership, so a combined age for pilot/passenger/aircraft of 200 years ought to be possible. In the unlikely event that none of the suggested operators works out for your dad, give the DHMC a call: phone 01442 862077, e-mail [email protected]

DuncanF
4th Dec 2002, 13:28
Guys,

Thanks very much for your responses. Spoken to Avia who explained that although the planes are laid up for winter for maintenance, they would talk to the Barton owners and see what could be arranged.

Just need to get the old man doing his stretching exercises now!

Duncan