PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands Flying School

ratsarrse
2nd Dec 2002, 03:16
Did anyone do their PPL at East Midlands? I would welcome any opinions regarding the school/instructors/airport itself.

squawking 7700
2nd Dec 2002, 11:56
I didn't do my PPL there but I do fly at EMFS occasionally.

My impressions are of a freindly, professional and well run school.
And that's exactly what it is, whilst the staff are helpful the place isn't a social club, so don't expect too much atmosphere.

Aircraft are well equipped and always well turned out.

East Midlands is a big airport and your radio work will be (should be) second to none. That said, a fair amount of time can be spent
holding in the air or on the ground for arriving/departing traffic
(you don't want to get get in the wake turbulence!) and that can burn a big hole in your pocket.

If you live in Nottingham, it's convenient.

Me, I fly at EMFS, Netherthorpe (Phoenix FS, great) Gamston (Flight Centre) and temporarily at Nottingham (Trumanair).

Of them all, I'd choose Phoenix at Netherthorpe or EMFS out of
all factors, experience to be gained, professionalism and aircraft availability.

If you need any more info, email privately.

Squawking 7700

ratsarrse
2nd Dec 2002, 12:49
Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to go for a trial flight and check EMFS out for myself. Although at the rate I'm going,I'll have a logbook full of trial flights - I'll look like the world's most indecisive person! Now all I need is for spare time, money, and decent weather to coincide - I suspect that I'll be waiting a little longer then...

autothrottle
2nd Dec 2002, 21:19
I have been flying there for 12 years and would say that you would have difficulty finding a better school.

Well equiped and maintained aircraft,good instruction and all the faclities at EMA that you could ever need.

Give them a try.

ratsarrse
23rd Jan 2003, 22:24
I took advantage of the decent weather a couple of weeks ago and checked out EMA. I was impressed and think I'll be going back. The thing I view with the most trepidation is R/T. I'm not even keen on using the phone most of the time! East Midlands will hopefully cure me of that. The controllers sounded quite friendly actually - went a long way to allaying my fears. Another bonus is that the runway is absolutely huge. I'm sure that even I can't fail to land on it. That's got to be good for early confidence.
May the gods of weather be kind to me...

t'aint natural
24th Jan 2003, 16:53
This happened a while ago so maybe things have changed.
Landed in an R22 for fuel. Parked in the middle of a Gobi Desert of concrete. Long yomp to the terminal.
Paid for the fuel, yomped back out, checked her over, strapped in and fired up. Called for departure.
Did you book out? said the man.
No, but this is me and I'm leaving. Can I book out on the radio?
No. You have to use the phone in the terminal.
Shut down, unstrapped, yomped back to terminal, found the phone.
I'd like to book out, I said.
Certainly, said the man. Same man I'd spoken to on the radio.
Never been back.

camaro
28th Jan 2003, 16:58
Ratsarsse

There is also Sheffield Aero Club at Netherthorpe. Training with them, or Phoenix, will definitely teach you short field techniques. Plus you don't have hold for ages waiting for the big stuff like at East Midlands.

Wobbles
29th Jan 2003, 11:35
I want to do my PPL and I live in Derby, but apart from Derby Aero Club, Donair (@ EMA) and East Midlands Flying School theres absolutely nothing!

ratsarrse
29th Jan 2003, 12:47
It depends on how far you are prepared to travel. I live almost exactly mid-way between EMA and Nottingham airport. It would be silly for me to travel further afield than this if there was a school that met my needs at my local airport. There are advantages and disadvantages to training at any particular airport. I got a fairly good feeling about EMFS so I think I'll stick with it.
As for Derby, well there's also Tatenhill near Burton. Take a look at http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk/ for more information.