PDA

View Full Version : The PPRuNe chat room.

BRL
28th Nov 2002, 18:24
Hi all. The pprune chat room has been changed to allow only registered users to log-in. This gets rid of quite a few idiots who used to go in there and ruin it for everyone else. I know this used to put a lot of people off going in there.

I am also trying to get a seperate 'room' in there just for private flying. You will see a list of rooms on the right and if it can be done that means we can have our own room to chat in if you still feel intimidated by the goings on in the main room.
A lot of work has been put in from Danny and pprune dispatcher so give it a try and see what you think.
If you have never tried it before then i suggest you just go in, have a look and join in whatever they are talking about in there if you want If you don't like it simply don't go in again but hopefully you will.
There is always someone in there, usualy its the ossies in the daytime(Uk time) as its their night and that can be a good laugh.
Please give it a try even if its just to see what its all about.
Have fun.

Sick Squid
7th Dec 2002, 17:30
I don't know what language you were speaking on the phone from that pub, BRL... but it's done.. you have your own room in there now, called "Private Flying."

Where's my beer? ;)

Enjoy.

Dave Gittins
8th Dec 2002, 22:51
Interesting one BRL ............. was about to go to bed when I saw your sticky so logged into the chat room ......... had words with "flower" who had news of an ancient aquaintance of mine (well young and feminine actually but I haven't crossed paths with her for about 18 months) Dopey Sue from Cardiff ............. interesting.

Thanks for the prompt.

DGG

RiskyRossco
5th Jan 2003, 08:44
Nothing earth-shatteringly profound. Simply, from my experience with talking in other rooms there has to be some restrictions.
If only to protect the majority from those with a defective 'responsibility' chip or suffering from ethical and moral bankruptcy.

Timothy
5th Jan 2003, 16:25
There is now a private flying room, but I am the only one in it.

Nice wallpaper, but no armchairs and newspapers.

W

AerBabe
5th Jan 2003, 17:04
Would love to BRL, but I when I log in from my laptop at home I get a blank room, which appears to have no-one in it (not even me!)... And no-one's replied to my thread in the computers/internet forum except to say it was down last week :(

Timothy
5th Jan 2003, 18:46
Well, following BRL's suggestion I spent 15 of the saddest minutes of my life in the chatroom.

It was occupied entirely by people who think sex and booze are funny in themselves.

You know "I've had a drink:) " "So have I:D "

Then comments about the quality of oral s*x given by different categories of women, how blind women were as good as sighted ones because they could give head just as well. Sick.

I tried to introduce something of interest (the shenangans at Frankfurt) and was told it was too depressing and they all started on about drinking again.

The saddest thing since King Olaf the Sad gave a party for all the saddest people in Sadland.

IMHO

W

distaff_beancounter
6th Jan 2003, 08:42
I have only just heard about the new Private Flying chat room, so have not yet ventured in there.

My previous experience of the Pprune chat roooms has, unfortunately, been similar to WCollins's. ie lots of very boring sad people, who can only talk about sex & booze, & who obviously need to get out more :(

If we want some sensible chat, how about agreeing a prime time(s), when most of the regular posters to this forum, are able to visit the new chat room.

My suggestion is:- Mondays 1900 to 2000Z :)

Beethoven
6th Jan 2003, 09:28
As a fairly regular chatter,I would just like to point out that a great number of people who use chat actually work in aviation day in day out as pilots,controllers,engineers etc and like to use it as a place to relax with friends (you would be surprised at the amount of chatters who know each other personally).Therefore it is no surprise that sometimes they don't want to talk about aeroplanes especially during the festive season.It's give and take as in all things but the PPrune chat room is not really for talking shop most of the time.
Best Wishes
Beet

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2003, 09:29
W,

As one of those who accused you of being "depressing", I suppose I should apologise!

It's very important to realise what you're going to get when you go into the chat room. I like to think of it as a pub. Sometimes I go in there and bump into some friends - we'll send each other private messages and pretty much ignore everyone else. Other times I go in there and I don't know anyone, so I'll make idle conversation. Often there's an aviation bias, but since the site is frequented by everyone from private pilots to commercial pilots to cabin crew, passengers, and others who have no connection to aviation at all, aviation conversation is not the norm. Sex and alcohol are common subjects because they're subject everyone can relate to. But you can pop into chat 5 different times and find 15 different conversations going on, depending on the individuals who are in there at the time.

If you want to talk about aviation, distaff's suggestion of meeting at a certain time is a good one... a bit like arranging to meet your friends in a pub at a certain time, rather than just turning up and hoping they'll be there. I'm all for a private flying room, but in the past it seems that most rooms, other than the main room, are very rarely used - although pre-arranged meeting times would be a solution to that problem too. Personally, I'd be unlikely to use a private flying room very much, because I enjoy talking about all kinds of things, whether aviation-related or not.

Have fun!

FFF
----------

Timothy
6th Jan 2003, 09:52
FFF

Just as a matter of interest, why do you go to the chat room rather than the pub?

That may sound as if I am asking critically or perjoratively, but I am not, I would like a serious answer.

W

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2003, 10:22
In general, I find that people who I don't know are reluctant to start conversations in a pub. So I don't like going to the pub by myself - I'd rather go into the chat room, where I can usually (but not always) find some conversation.

On the other hand, if I'm with friends, I'd never go into chat... it's very anti-social. The pub wins hands-down if I'm with other people, or if I know that there will be someone I know at the pub.

Variety is the spice of life!

FFF
----------

AerBabe
6th Jan 2003, 12:25
There are many reasons I prefer the chat room to a pub. The drinks are cheaper, you don't have to drive anywhere, it's not smokey and loud, the music's better, etc etc. Also, as Beethoven said, a lot of us know each other personally. And when your friends live miles away you may as well use the chat room to keep in touch as make a phone call. It's more useful when there's a group of you who know each other - you can pass on news and catch up with all at the same time.

Dusty_B
6th Jan 2003, 13:29
Well, it's monday...
Who else will make an effort to join the "Private Flying" chat room tonight? Let's make it a date... like arranging to go down the pub. I'll even bring a beer along too :)

iainpoll
6th Jan 2003, 13:30
IMHO chat rooms in general (not just the PPRuNe chat rooms) are simply another internet information resource. To be honest comparing the PPRuNe chatroom to going down the pub a little silly (sorry FuFu). As FFF pointed out, it is very unusual to go into a pub on ones own without much chance of meeting friends. If I go to the pub its to get p!ssed, have a laugh, and generally forget about ATPL exams (anyone who has been on a private flying bash will verify this). There is very little chance that I will bump into a senior airline pilot, or anyone even remotely involved in aviation in my local pub.

On the other hand, if I have a spare half hour (rare) I might log onto chat, I might have the chance to talk to a senior airline pilot, other PPL's, or even some of the people from bashes who I consider mates now. I can't do this at the pub! Another thing that must be realised is that as much as we all love aviation, if you talk about it all the time it becomes BORING. In general human beings are fairly simple creatures, get a crowd of them together and usually it won't be long before conversation degenerates to the sex and alcohol level. Ideally we need to reach the middle ground, where there is some intelligent conversation, but people are not scared to have a laugh. I would suspect that if (theoretically) you stayed in the room for 24 hours that is exactly what you get, unfortunately if you log in during a smutty conversation, thats the impression you get, and if you don't like it you log out.

I am a little sad that certain members of this forum have labelled other Pruners as 'boring sad people, who need to get out more'. That is insulting to anyone who has logged on to the chat server.

If you don't like chat there are three things you can do;

1. Dont use it, accept its not for you, but dont criticise it, or the people who enjoy it.

2. If you do like chat, but not PPRuNe chat, download MIRc and log into undernet/newnet etc etc - there are tens of thousands of chatrooms, and I'm sure there will be somthing of interest.

3. Have a word with Danny, or whoever makes these decisions, about starting a 'sensible' (for want of a better word) room. Start a thread on the appropriate forum, giving a time where such like minded people can log on and be guaranteed stimulating conversation.

Personally, I would split my time between the pub, the existing rooms, and the 'sensible' room depending on my mood. The sad people can then be guaged by those who prefer one such option to the total exclusion of the others.

Iain

distaff_beancounter
6th Jan 2003, 15:12
iainpoll
I am the only one who has mentioned the "boring sad people, who can only talk about sex & booze". Therefore I apologise if I have offended anyone.

I am broad minded & not in the least perturbed by discussions of sex & booze. It is just that IMHO, there are many more interesting things in life to discuss.

I also follow your advice No 1. If I go into any chat room, & find it not to my liking, then I don't bother going there again.

BUT, I will defend to the death, the right of the "boring sad people", to carry on using that chat room, 24/7 if they wish, to discuss whatever amuses them! :D

Timothy
6th Jan 2003, 17:03
iainpoll

I only described as sad the eight or ten people who were contributing during the time I logged in.

I will join DBC in simply living and letting live. I would like somewhere that I can pop into and find non-sad people, if it were available.

W

Kermit 180
6th Jan 2003, 21:40
I used to use chat regularly between about 1900-2300 NZ time (thats about 0700 to 1100 UK). It's usually attended by Kiwis, Aussies, one or two Uker's, and maybe a late-night Yank or two.

The conversation is largely ruled by those who wish to discuss sex, booze and other perceived 'mind-numbing' things. I was saying to someone in chat the other night how I now realise why I don't use it as often as I used to, and your opinions here reflect my own much of the time.

In my opinion as a regular and long term PPRuNe chat user, it has seen a complete revolution and change in the average age, style and level of interest in aviation of users. There are more non-flyers using chat than there were a year and a half ago, to the point that there're usually more non-aviation interested parties than aviation buffs. I don't mean retired aviators, those who have genuine interests in flying or work in other aviation jobs, but those who attend just for the chit chat and have no interest whatsoever. I should say that I enjoy a good dirty joke, a swear word (or alternative), a beer, and a bit of a laugh, but when it becomes the 'norm' its annoying.

In my personal opinion Chat is over-moderated, it never seemed this way before certain parties joined up (during my use time anyway). I don't know why it has to be this way, seeing as now all those who gain entry are registered users. This has caused the room to go from an average attendance of about 15-30+ 18 months ago, down to about 5-10 now. Over-moderation is as intimidating as facing the 'in-crowd', and despite what others say, it is this that has prevented new users from staying. Invisible mode doesnt help either, its like big brother is watching all the time, even if you don't want to talk dirty or whatever, its still a distraction. There is an alternative website people are using, but I prefer PPRuNe and the people I know I can have a decent conversation with use it.

See you there for some flying chat and some good laughs soon,

Kermie ;)

flower
7th Jan 2003, 08:55
As I have already been mentioned in this post I thought I should reply so that people understand I am not a sad depressed person who needs to get a life but instead spend my time inside of Pprune Chat.

I use the Chat room late at night in the UK generally between ten o'clock and Midnight, it is filled with pretty much the same people, people who I now regard as friends. Many but not all are in the business some are private flyers and one of the main stays of Pprune chat has no connection with aviation at all , but our chat room would be a very much duller place without the likes of Mr Draper.

It is not a place filled with sex and drink talk , yes innuendoes creep in and there is always a common response when someone tells us they are off to get a drink ie: I will have a......

Why do I use the room , well I discovered it accidentally and found I was chatting to other colleagues and flyers out of my airport , and then you start talking to other people in the way that you do down the pub and then you turn up again and there they are and you carry on a conversation and before you know it these people are your friends . I find it great that some evenings there are people from 4 continents chatting away to each other just as if they were next door neighbours.

Before I am told by some to get a life let me assure you I have one . I work Shift work being an ATCO , have a great social life and the most wonderful man in my life.
But in working shifts you often find when you have time off your friends and family don't.
So I pop into chat for a talk and a laugh with my friends.

For those who have had a bad experience perhaps come and join us at the time I said and you will meet a great bunch of people I am proud to call friends
;)