PDA

View Full Version : Fugro/World Geoscience

kazumichik
27th Nov 2002, 22:35
Anybody have info on these guys? When was World Geoscience taken over? What do they fly? What is it like to work for them? Etc, etc.

USE THE RUDDERS
1st Dec 2002, 06:31
Ask on African forum,
Fugro are based out of Lanseria airport in South Africa.
They fly C208's and C402/404's.

Groo
4th Dec 2002, 05:18
Actually there is a Fugro in Canada. Ottawa, to be specific. I think the South African and the Canadian operations are affiliated in some way. Fugro is pretty big.

Looks like about 8 aircraft, Canadian registered. Couple of Casa 212's and some smaller stuff.

I don't think their hiring right now but their listed in the Ottawa, Canada directory assistance.

xsbank
5th Dec 2002, 16:45
I flew their Dash 7 for a short time (operated by Voyageur) and found survey flying to be the most boring excuse to live in a tiny frozen town that I have ever experienced.

Imagine 400' max, contour flying a grid in METO power while listening to a very LOUD, low freq. continuous ...WOWWWOWWWOWWWOWWW... over your headphones, can't leave your seat to pee, for 4 - 5 hours 'til you run out of fuel.

To each his own. :(

world aviator
5th Dec 2002, 18:12
FUGRO has around 50 aircraft worldwide. With fixed wing bases in Ottawa in Canada, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, Perth in Australia and Johannesburg in South Africa.
In Canada they operate: DHC 7 (crewed by Fugro and Voyageur), CASA 212, C-208,
C-404, PA 31T and Pa31.
The work tends to be worldwide and majority of the flying is low level. Most of their pilots stay for years as the life style is not bad if you like to travel and have few commitments.
I don’t think they are doing any hiring.
:)

Groo
6th Dec 2002, 02:32

Imagine 400' max, contour flying a grid in METO power while listening to a very LOUD, low freq. continuous ...WOWWWOWWWOWWWOWWW... over your headphones, can't leave your seat to pee, for 4 - 5 hours 'til you run out of fuel.

END QUOTE

I've done some Mag flying myself. There's a counter benefit to living in tiny frozen towns, (or tiny towns where the temp hits +48C)

That being that, when you're "off" you can live or visit where you want to. A lot of times you can also set up "stopovers" in fun places when you rotate in or out of a job.

Unless you can get a conventional flying job exactly where you want that's not a bad deal. Do you want to live in Thompson MB for 51 weeks a year, or do you want to live somewhere even worse for 26 weeks then spend 26 weeks in Thialand, Europe or Vancouver?

As far as annoying low frequency noise goes, an ANR headset works wonders. Kills about 90% of it, plus I get to hook my IPod up to it and choose from 1000 tunes. "Ride of the Vakaries" works well for mag flying.

As far as "the call of nature" goes, 3 minute end turns become 8 min end turns. As long as you don't have to go every hour noboby's gonna worry.

yeessebo
6th Dec 2002, 16:43
do you guys have a web site or email contact for anyone at Fugro. I would be interested in keeping a file with them. Many thanks.

ehwatezedoing
11th Dec 2002, 13:43
Fugro (http://www.fugroairborne.com)