PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Aids

pilotwolf
25th Nov 2002, 22:56
Hope the Mods don't mind me posting this in 2 places - please leave it in which every you consider to be the most suitable if you do! Thanks.

I am looking for a supplier of teaching aids for ground studies in particular magnetic shapes, eg. aerofoils, aircraft, for use on Nobo style wipeboards.

I have seen these in use at Cranwell and other RAF teacing places but can't seem to find where to obtain them.

Any ideas appreciated.

Kermit 180
26th Nov 2002, 06:01
I cant suggest any place to purchase board aids, however given a colour printer, a laminator and some magnets, the options are unlimited for self-production. I've made many board aids over the years this way and find them to be more than suitable and of good quality. ;) If I dont say so myself. Creativity and ingenuity is half the fun of being an instructor.

Kerms

Stan Evil
26th Nov 2002, 15:45
I agree with Kerms - making things 'Blue Peter style' goes with the job. Just what you need to fill in these long, wet, foggy winter days!

bcpilot
26th Nov 2002, 21:03
I had a great idea for homemade whiteboard items. I find that magnetic aids don't always work because the less expensive white boards don't have a metal backing...

Remember colorforms? little pieces of vinyl that you could use to make shapes and stick them on the wall? well, get some white vinyl, draw on an instrument panel in permanent marker, cut out some airplanes, and voila!! no more drawing airplanes that look like sick porpoises!! the best part is that you can stick them to any whiteboard or any flat surface (window, wall, etc.) and then draw all over them with dry erase markers.

I don't know anybody else who does this, but if you can find a good supplier for that soft vinyl stuff let me know!!

tacpot
28th Nov 2002, 12:40
You can get sheets of magnetic material that you can print onto using an InkJet printer, and you can also get coloured vinyl sheets with a magnetic backing that you can cut with scissors or craft knife. A good search engine should be able to turn up a number of sources (try searching for "Magnetic Sheets Vinyl" and "Magnetic Sheets Inkjet"). Craft Stores and Signage Makers seem to be the best sources.

BlueLine
28th Nov 2002, 18:04
To make you Blue Peter cut outs more professional you can cut most of the shapes out of a sheet of 16 or 18 guage Dural, its more rigid than alluminium. Easily cut with a hacksaw and an abrafile. Polishes up quite well with wirewool.