PDA

View Full Version : Something positive for GA in Shropshire at last?

PFLsAgain
18th Nov 2002, 16:14
Well maybe. Here's hoping:

from today's Shropshire Star (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/november02/18th/airports.asp)

2WingsOnMyWagon
18th Nov 2002, 19:32
Also the F.A. football academy is being built right next to Tatenhill so I hear.

Rattus
18th Nov 2002, 20:28
Many many many years ago, we made enquiries of the MoD about basing GA aircraft at Cosford. The reply was a resounding "not on your Nelson" as the airfield would shortly be operating to full capacity with military traffic.

How we laughed when the four Bulldogs finally arrived! :rolleyes:

Welcome though any additional aviation facility in the Midlands may be, I hope it doesn't bring with it a further block of controlled airspace, or Sheffieldian attempts to control traffic in the surrounding open FIR.

Rattus

2WingsOnMyWagon
18th Nov 2002, 20:41
Cosford have recently been granted funding (lottery i think) to improve and recondition their collection of aircraft. so you would think that they would become more welcoming to GA traffic. Well you would think so wouldnt you?

Aussie Andy
19th Nov 2002, 06:29
Well I think its great news if true - my in-laws live very close to Cosford, and my wife was actually born on the base there! But surely its one in the eye for WBA..!?

poetpilot
19th Nov 2002, 08:06
Dont underestimate the aviation-paranoid councillors of Telford & Wrekin...and their ability to whip up public hysteria. Watch this space...

PFLsAgain
20th Nov 2002, 12:25
Update:
Shropshire Star (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/november02/19th/cosford.asp)
They voted in favour. Lets hope it encourages Bridgnorth District Council (the planning authority) to do the same.

Sir George Cayley
21st Nov 2002, 01:28
If Cosford goes ahead would it be a "salop" in the face for Ha'penny Green? :D

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

Rote 8
21st Nov 2002, 11:54
Sounds like good news - however having just spoken to one of the Bridgnorth District Councillors (my father) I can confirm that Bridgnorth District Council do not share the views of Telford & Wrekin Council and that in all likelihood they will vote against it on the basis of the field being too close to Shifnal - the same council also voted in favour of halting the activities of the small Microlight strip at Shaw Lane just outside Shifnal earlier this year for similar reasons.

In the same conversation it also cropped up that Wolverhampton have approached the council (not sure if they have actually put in an application) with regard to lengthening 34/16 at the 34 threshold end by closing the small country lane that runs alongside the airfield and buying up the small triangular field on the other side of the lane. Needless to say Bridgnorth Council is not in favour of that either, although in this case they are not the planning authority (it falls under South Staffs DC).

I do try to put some pressure on my father, who is also keen on aircraft to support these things and to educate other council members but understand that his remit extends to representing the views of the majority - particularly those living in the Claverley area, which I believe he does fairly and irrespective of his own views.

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Nov 2002, 12:41
What was the news? The link does not appear to work...

Fingers crossed here that Cosford becomes a major airport - that would suit me right down to the ground. Or even better Shawbury! Make it a nice big hub for low cost airlines and I'd be there like a shot.

Liverpool, East Mids and Bristol make a very very large triangle for those looking for a no frills ticket...

PFLsAgain
21st Nov 2002, 14:41
Just checked - both links work OK. Don't know if I'm allowed to post text from a newspaper here, but if BRL OKs it, I'll post both articles. The gist was that RAF Cosford is to be expanded into a "general business" airport with associated maintenance facilities.

This idea has been around for a while, but a couple of days ago it was formally presented to Telford and Wrekin Council, who have adopted it. It will shortly be presented to Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council - their planning officers have recommended that the council vote in favour. Neither of these carry too much weight though when you consider that the planning authority is Bridgnorth District Council, who are decidedly anti-aviation in all its forms, from microlights to business airports. Also, the area comes within Shropshire County Council's patch, and as far as I know, they have not expressed an opinion.

Just to demonstrate the complexity of local politics, the area comes within the Wrekin parliamentary constituency. The MP is Peter Bradley (Labour). The majority of the constituency is the northern and eastern parts of the Telford new town, Shifnal and Albrighton are really an add-on that sits uneasily with the rest of the constituency. Given that Telford and Wrekin Council voted in favour of the development, I would predict that Peter Bradley would also tend to favour it. However, the boundary commission are shortly to start reviewing parliamentary boundaries in the area, and are widely believed to be going to recommend that Shifnal and Albrighton should be shifted into Ludlow constituency. The MP for Ludlow is Matthew Green (Lib Dem). I have no idea what his view on the matter is, but can find out, since I know him pretty well. I suggest that those who are interested in supporting the proposed development at Cosford should write to both these MPs and to Bridgnorth District Council.

Who has control?
22nd Nov 2002, 07:04
Isn't it more sensible to develop the regional airfields that we already have or to convert disused military bases to civilian use, rather that build multi-mega-pound airfields in the southeast?

Or am I missing something obvious here?