PDA

View Full Version : PalmAir

Pages : [1] 2

Tiger
8th Nov 2002, 07:50
I was wondering if the EAAC sell off was effecting the PalmAir operation?

stevobeevo
8th Nov 2002, 14:31
Palmairs flights are departing on time as usual. The low cost service is still set to go ahead, so my guess is that IF EAC are sold it wont affect their operations. If for some reason the planes are nolonger available then Palmair will simply lease from another company. They used to lease from Flightline before they switched to EAC in autumn 1999.

Exel
12th Nov 2002, 17:34
Palmair's recently announced lo-cost service betwwen BOH and PIK has already been cancelled before it even got off the ground..

The reason............

BUZZ have included the route in their new operation which will commence on the 30th Mar 2003.

Palmair as you can imagine are not best pleased :mad: :mad:

FlyingIrishman
12th Nov 2002, 19:37
I still don't know what Buzz are playing at. They are always advertising that they are flying to main airports - surely then they should be flying BOH - GLA instead of PIK.

As always, nobody really knows what they're up to or what the thinking behind their moves is. This announcement surprised me as much as when they announced that the only new route additions for the last new timetables were only destinations in France.

We'll see how long they'll be about...

Oscar Duece
13th Nov 2002, 08:39
We shall see what all this shakes out to.

I was a little suprised Palmair (Bath Travel) choose Pk instead of Gl. As they have a unique selling point these other low cost low quality operaters have not. They are a trusted local travel agent group with a respected high income customer base.

If they have or could create capacity, working with EAc or others. They could fill the seats with higher yeald pax than others. No this doesn't mean aim to be the next go-easy. But use your local background and owned travel group. Result nich market, moderatley high margins.......

E & OE

Findo
14th Nov 2002, 11:38
Irishman. As part of the Buzz package for passengers landing at Glasgow Prestwick they have negotiated reduced rail fares to anywhere in Scotland direct from the Prestwick airport railway station.

Now if Glasgow offered that ......... ;) ;)

Aviation Trainer too
14th Nov 2002, 12:01
Oscar the point is that because they operate with travel agents they might get higher yielding pax (which I doubt) but the cost involved kills the yield straight away. Add to that the noi frills with frills concept they mentioned and you have a strange product with too much costs..

eurostar builder
14th Nov 2002, 13:43
This is typical like waiting for a Bus, the airport has waited 20 years for a flight then two turn up together...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PALMAIR bosses have scrapped plans to operate a service to Glasgow following the news that one of Europe's leading low cost airlines had chosen Bournemouth as its new base.

Palmair chairman Peter Bath made the announcement yesterday a day after budget airline Buzz unve-iled the seven destinations it will serve from Bour-nemouth Airport.

Bournemouth-based airline Palmair European revealed its plans on October 29 for the twice-daily Scottish service from Bournemouth to Glasgow Prestwick Airport.

Fares were set to start from £14.99 plus taxes and bosses said the initiative, which was due to start before Christmas, could have brought thousands of more passengers through Bournemouth Airport.

In a statement to the Daily Echo Mr Bath explained the company's "reluctant" decision to withdraw the service.

He said: "There had been a number of discussions with Prestwick Airport and Bournemouth Airport over a long period but on the day of our press release we were advised that the planned route was likely to be duplicated. The following day Buzz announced its plans to base aircraft at Bournemouth and we drew the conclusion that Buzz would also be flying to Glasgow Prestwick from Bournemouth.

"Plainly, there are not enough passengers to fill 1,000 seats daily between the two airports and if it is the intention of Buzz to fly to and from Scotland, the Palmair service would have an adverse effect on their planned activities from Bournemouth.

"In the interests of helping the continued expansion of Bournemouth Airport and the hundreds of jobs which the airport believes will be created, Palmair has reluctantly decided not to go ahead with its Scottish service for the time being."

All Palmair's other holiday services will continue as normal.

Herod
14th Nov 2002, 13:50
FlyingIrishman. buzz does fly to the majors where appropriate, hence Frankfurt is really Frankfurt, Paris is really Paris etc. However it also flies to regionals, such as Bergerac or La Rochelle. In the case of BOH-PIK is is being sold honestly as Bournemouth-Prestwick, unlike some airlines which would probably sell it as LONDON(Southwest)-GLASGOW(Southwest)

stevobeevo
14th Nov 2002, 15:32
Herod

Ryanair fly to both Bournemouth and Prestwick. They do not call Bournemouth London-Southwest and PIK is sold as Glasgow- Prestwick, which just happens to be the same as Buzz. The Buzz posters and flyers in Bournemouth all state Glasgow-Prestwick.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Thomas Cook Airlines
14th Nov 2002, 17:21
Do they have a website, or email Palmair?

Oscar Duece
14th Nov 2002, 18:07
AVIATION TRAINER TOO

Afraid your guess is wrong. I actually live in the South, so have a knowledge of Bath Travel.
They are spead quite well across the South coast. They are fully owned, so no extra costs what so ever. They do attract a particually higher income customer base than the usual high street chains (they specialize in cruises and packages with a local departure point).
They are trusted and respected in the area. Regarded as a cut above the usual, group owned faceless monoliths.
For these reasons as I said before. They could have captured a nich market with higher yeilds than the low quality outfits.

stevobeevo
15th Nov 2002, 14:27
Thomas Cook Airlines

You can access www.Bathtravel.com which is the parent company and has details of the Palmair 2003 day trip schedule, they say its the largest from any UK airport. The summer 2003 schedules are on the BOH airport site at www.flybournemouth.com. The Bathtravel site contains contact info but as far as I know they don't have email details on their site.

Mister Geezer
18th Nov 2002, 09:51
I detect that Palmair are very very scared of competition. However isn't competition an inevitable factor in business? IT is letting its big brother win the fight even before they have jumped into the ring!

However I detect that they are scared to go down the same path that I think happened a few years ago. Palmair MkI used to operate a Flightline 146-300 in the same white livery with red titles! That idea died and the aircraft concerned went back to Flightline. This is going back a few years ago but their first route was to Palma, hence the name Palmair!!!!

To answer FlyingIrishman's question of why Buzz went to Bournemouth. Well they have hardly any passenger traffic so I suspect that they had very attractive rates offered to them and BIA will have bent over backwards to accommodate Buzz!. That won't be difficult when you have Southampton just up the road, which is of course run by the BAA! Same story with PIK - lower charges.

Groundloop
18th Nov 2002, 12:27
Mister Geezer's history is a bit out.

Bath Travel began the Palmair name in the late 50's/early 60's when they began operating charters to Palma by buying in capacity.

A few years ago, because so many charter airlines had come and gone, they decided they needed more control over their flights and decided to form their own airline. This was the "Palmair Mk 1" described by Mister Geezer. And it did not die!

Palmair soon realised that the 146-300 was too small, too slow and too short ranged for their network. There were too many tech stops in northern France. They ended the arrangement with Flightline and IMMEDIATELY replaced it with the 737-200 arrangement with European. Nothing about being scared - they were confident enough to expand the programme with the 737.

stevobeevo
18th Nov 2002, 15:31
Well done Groundloop, glad you set the history right there.

Palmair are now using 2 B737-200's from EAL and my 'contacts' tell me that the low cost services are still going ahead but the destinations are obviously changing. Palmair will carry around 140,000 PAX through BOH this year and they have increased capacity for summer 2003 by 20%. This coupled with any low cost service just goes to show what a healthy, small company they are. The future looks very good for them. They weren't voted Britains best airline and the worlds third best in 2001 (Which magazine) for nothing!
:)

newswatcher
18th Nov 2002, 15:54
Not to be confused with these little guys!

http://www.palmaircharter.com/index.html

You splitter
20th Nov 2002, 12:40
Well said Ground loop & stevobeevo,

As someone around for palmair mkI we don't feel that they got scared. In fact we like to think that palmair mkI went a long way to setting up the foundations for Palmair mk II. Cracking little operation.

What about palmair mkIII tho? :p

EGNR
20th Nov 2002, 12:53
re: Palmair MkIII

Any truth in the poss. there may be some 320s heading over to BOH in the not-too-distant future?

Joe Curry
20th Nov 2002, 14:04
>>You can access www.Bathtravel.com<<

Strange, in their special offers section they mention a
£66 return fare via bmi to EDI.? Perhaps Palmair should
have chose that airport rather than PIK.? :D

It was mentioned recently that 50% of PIK's pax are actually
going to Edinburgh, perhaps Palmair should be taking the
'mountain' to Mohammad.?

>>I still don't know what Buzz are playing at. They are always advertising that they are flying to main airports - surely then they should be flying BOH - GLA instead of PIK. <<

A recent Scotjet/Gillair service from GLA was withdrawn
I fail to see how Buzz can resurrect the route where others
have failed. :( Unless they create a new market from PIK that
found the GLA-BOH service either expensive or inconvenient.

stevobeevo
20th Nov 2002, 15:27
Heres the latest on Buzz at BOH - over 4,000 seats sold in 7 days

buzz LAUNCH AT BOURNEMOUTH AIRPORT IS A HIGH FLYING SUCCESS

buzz, the UK’s third largest low cost airline, has had a phenomenal reaction to the launch of its second base in Bournemouth. As well as five European routes, buzz will be flying to two domestic destinations, seeing the South Coast benefit for the first time from low cost fares to Scotland and Northern Ireland at a fraction of the price of British Airways.

Since they went on sale a week ago, over four thousand seats have already been sold on routes from the airport to Amsterdam, Belfast, Bergerac, Glasgow-Prestwick, Malaga, Murcia and Paris. Murcia, Malaga and Bergerac are currently the most popular destinations.

Says buzz Chief Commercial Officer, Tony Camacho, ‘The reaction and support we have had from people living in Bournemouth and surrounding areas has been fantastic. People on the South Coast are obviously making the most of buzz’s competitive fares which give them easy access to Scotland, Northern Ireland and a network of European destinations. This is just the start of our plans for Bournemouth. In the next year we will continue to expand and develop our destination portfolio which will position Bournemouth as one of the UK’s leading low cost bases.’

Mister Geezer
20th Nov 2002, 22:09
Thanks to Groundloop for keeping me up to date

I still feel that Palmair pulled out of the new route purely because they are scared of the competition on the route. I can't think of pulling out for any other reason? Since Bath Travel have a good customer base in the Dorset area then that is going to give them the upper hand in attracting BOH based pax. That is providing that the fares for buzz and Palmair would of been very similar if not the same. I would think that many local people would of preferred to support a local company and one that they may of used before than using buzz. Many carriers actively seek routes on where they can compete and win some of the market share - not avoid competition when a rival beats them to it! That sort of logic would make the shareholders of many airlines a tad angry at the wasted opportunity. I did find the news feature on BBC1 quite amusing when it was aired on TV last week. It seemed strange and illogical that Palmair were throwing in the towel so early!

If EGNR's post is true then that would of given Palmair the upperhand in the low cost battle. The A320 is now being regarded as the better machine to use on low cost ops. Despite used 737s as a whole, being cheaper to set up in the early days of operation, the A320 is the winner in the long term. Look at Jetblue in the US who operate an all Airbus fleet and Good Jet in Sweden who do the same. Both airlines wanted to operate new aircraft from the start, hence the A320 came into the frame straight away and not the 737.

I wish buzz all the best on their new expansion from BOH. I fear that Peter Bath will be crying into his pint in the months and years to come if buzz's latest sales figures are anything to go by. If he does intend to operate an A320 then that will just rub salt into the wound since that could of given him the upperhand. Palmair should stand their ground and take some of the low cost market share from BOH, before buzz absorb it all and it would then be too late! Buzz are obviously serious about expanding at BOH and that would leave Palmair to focus purely on IT ops where it could of had a slice of both pies if it fought head to head with buzz.

Aviation Trainer too
21st Nov 2002, 09:25
I think you are missing the point Oscar Dude. I have a good knowledge of the south and know Peter Bath even personally.

The point is how much do travel agents cost: X (even if you only take a fraction of that cost)
How much a CRS based booking system: Y
How much does ticketing cost Z

How much a web based booking engine: A

As long as the yield of the pax is such that you can absorbe X+Y+Z and still be lower than A you have a change.

But than they lease in aircraft, European needs to make a return on the flying and takes a profit. The travel agent needs a profit and the sales organisation as well. Buzz on the other hand is three in one and thus has a lower profit requirement..

Last but not least they had the strange idea of no frills with frills...

I am not knocking Bath Travel but the time for travel agents for straight fwd Friends and Family tickets as well as Business tickets is going. Their power will be in holiday packages alone..

Yankee
21st Nov 2002, 20:52
Well you’ve got to hand it to Bath Travel/Palmair . All this week Buzz has had a full-page advert in the local paper, but tonight two pages before the Buzz advert Bath Travel have a full page advertising Buzz flights with full timetable. It’s Buzz prices plus £10 booking fee. Bath knows their local cliental well, a lot of who are elderly and not Internet literate and probably prefer to book local. They obviously won’t take the majority of the booking for Buzz flights out of Bournemouth, but enough to make it worth their while. Making the most out of a bad situation.
History in the making Sunday when Bath Travel make the first Commercial Jumbo flight out of Bournemouth for New York.

Findo
23rd Nov 2002, 13:01
Joe Curry ..

It was mentioned recently that 50% of PIK's pax are actually going to Edinburgh, perhaps Palmair should be taking the 'mountain' to Mohammad.?

Where was it mentioned ?

Thomas Cook Airlines
23rd Nov 2002, 17:34
What a ridiculous website Bath Travel is running!
Does anyone have any e-mail or fax number for this company?

andrewjjones
8th Apr 2004, 19:19
Hello, I was just wondering if anybody knows what the Bournemouth Airport website means when it says, about Palmair, that "Menorca, Alicante and Faro all benefit from increased frequency and larger aircraft"? It has said that on the website for months.

What are the 'larger aircraft'? Have European bought some 737-300s? Is it no longer happening after the recent events at European?

Today on a visit to the airport I noticed that G-CEAC's doors were taped up. What is happening with that 737?

Jack Ruskin
9th Apr 2004, 11:34
Didn't Palmair used to operate using Flightlines 146's...??? The comment of "larger aircraft" may be refering to that if it's been on the website a while...

I went to ACI out of BOH the other day, all the aircraft parked up behind the hangar is a very sad sight - hope they can resurrect something soon...

andrewjjones
9th Apr 2004, 13:27
Yes, they used Flightline's only -300, G-BPNT. Surely that can't be what they're talking about, the changeover to European happened years ago!

Talking about 'Alpha Charlie', why would they tape up the doors like that? Could it be having a re-spray?

MARKEYD
9th Apr 2004, 13:29
Palmair did operate the BAe 146 300 from BOH for many years on a lease from Flightline based in SEN , hence the name Palmair Flightline
From the begining of winter 1999 Palmair began using a 737 200 on lease from European Aviation in a 124 seat con fig , and Palmair European appeared on the side of the a/c
The reason being they wanted a longer range a/c to new destinations that the 146 was restricted on ie TFS , FNC , CFU etc and greater seat capacity
From the begining of summer 2003 Palmair leased another 737 from European G- CEAC and G- CEAF now operated a growing increase in services from BOH on behalf of Bath Travel
The plan this summer was to operate a 737 300 and 737 200 which European was planning to purchase , possibly from Easy Jet , however as we all know the problems with European have put a stop to this
At present CEAF and CEAC are planned to operate this summer as Palmair have an expanded flying programme from BOH
Have however heard rumours that Palmair are looking at both Excel Airways and Astraeus to run there summer programme from mid April possibly as problems getting credit , fuel etc from European
Channel Express based at BOH were approached by Palmair to help but have a fully commited operation this summer , but thats not to say they could go into partnership from the winter 2004

bmibaby.com
7th Jul 2004, 17:45
I'm sure that this has been covered many times by the people on this board, but following a recent topic that in March 2005 all Boeing 737-200s will be withdrawn in European airspace, can anyone please tell me if EAL or their charter airline partner Palmair have expressed any plans for a substitute aircraft?

Also, when buzz announced their plans to launch no-frills services from BOH, Palmair pulled out of their plans to do so. Why is this still the case now buzz are no longer in existence? What has stopped them from launching services?

Localiser Green
7th Jul 2004, 18:20
I heard they would be replacing with -300s, kind of becoming like the -200s now as the "mainstream" re-eqip with NGs and 320s!

Oshkosh George
7th Jul 2004, 18:29
There was another thread which suggested that the 200s would NOT have to be withdrawn because of EU legislation,but individual airports COULD ban them!

If I find it again,I'll refer you to it!

In fact,it\'s the very next on the page!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136700

Harrier46
7th Jul 2004, 18:31
Palmair (Bath Travel) have a few problems themselves at present and with the recent turmoil and redundancies at European their first concern has been to safeguard their summer (and next years) programme. All else has taken a back seat.
Before their recent troubles European had planned to introduce 737-300s this year but the financial troubles finished those plans for now. Alan Bath certainly had talks with Channex earlier this year and with the Channex fleet expanding (order for 2 more aircraft announced today) maybe he will switch to them for next year. Or alternatively maybe European will pull a rabbit out of the hat and find some backing for new aircraft. Either way Palmair will be flying newer aircraft before long.

MARKEYD
8th Jul 2004, 14:30
JUST WONDERED HOW BATH TRAVEL / PALMAIR ARE DOING AS NOTICED THAT THEY HAVE CANCELLED THE REMAINING SERIES OF FLIGHTS TO ALICANTE ON A TUESDAY AND ALSO CANCELLED THE PROGRAMME TO LAS PALMAS

THE WINTER PROGRAMME FROM BOURNEMOUTH ASLO LOOKS DOWN FROM LAST YEAR , HOPE ALL IS WELL ON BOOKINGS ETC ?

GOOD TO SEE THAT THOMSON HOLIDAYS ARE GIVING BOH A GO AGAIN FROM NEXT SUMMER

chiglet
8th Jul 2004, 16:16
Markeyd
SHHH!!!!!!!!
Take your "caps lock" off
watp,iktch

Lite
10th Jul 2004, 21:20
Do both companies have an up to date website, because I can find no contact details or any "latest news" features for either airline?

Surely not keeping an up to date website, which is such an important marketing tool, is not good for attracting new business?

Despite lots of the 742 work going to Air Atlanta Europe/Icelandic, I can't see where most of the 732 work would go to.

Lots of the ChannEx aircraft are not available for medium term leases, because they're all tied down to existing clients or Jet2, and I don't see Air Atlanta going into this market, or Hola Airlines actively expanding.

Harrier46
11th Jul 2004, 08:03
Channex would jump at the chance to take on the Palmair flying. Fits in so well with their BOH base and would employ two aircraft full time. Regarding aircraft availability 737s are easy to find, cheap to purchase and Channex's credit is good (unlike European who had to cancel their latest plans to purchase 737-300s). Could happen.
European website (not often updated) is www.eaac.co.uk and Palmair can be found off the Bath Travel site at www.bathtravel.com/palmair/

DELTABOY
19th Mar 2005, 10:53
Anyone got any info on the rumour of the Palmair operation down at BOH switching from European Air Charter B-737-200 to B-737-300 operated by Astraeus. I understand that it will be a similar set up with A/C, flight crews, engineering & operations supplied by AEU & A/C painted up in Palmair colours with their cabin crew onboard.

Dash-7 lover
19th Mar 2005, 17:08
It makes sense if EAF's 737-200's are off to OZJET....

goldeneye
20th Mar 2005, 09:22
But will it affect the great reputation and performance levels that Palmair have.

WHBM
20th Mar 2005, 10:54
I've never ridden with European. But I've also never understood how they have such a poor reputation when doing subcharters for other operators, or for conditions on their 747s to Orlando, or indeed in many other PPRuNe posts, and yet such a high reputation on their Palmair flights out of Bournemouth. Why the difference ?

Harrier46
20th Mar 2005, 12:55
Many reasons. Firstly the Palmair flights are on B737s, engineering base at BOH with spare aircraft frequently available there in the event of problems. No such back up for the 747s doing the Travel City flights. Palmair provide their own cabin crew and dictate service levels. Also the boss of Palmair takes a more personal interest in each passenger (sees off each flight etc) whereas Travel City cannot (much bigger company) so in that respect nothing to do with the airline.
No real mystery just totally different operations.

DELTABOY
20th Mar 2005, 13:17
I guess it just goes to show that an airline can achieve great customer satisfaction irrespective of how old & tired its aircraft may appear & no IFE for the longer Canary routes Palmair operate to. I flew with them on a day trip to Germany & found them pleasant & professional enough, but I can't see how they warrant being one of the best airlines in the world, seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I understand that most of the cabin crew at Palmair are eager for newer equipment to work on, those good old 200 as superb as they are really do make the Palmair product look tired & dated these days.

Premi@irGold
20th Mar 2005, 15:24
Hello,

I think the fact that Palmair have only got 2 Aircraft to deal with has something to do with it, as they do not have to concentrate on other aircraft in the fleet.

Have a look at their website on:

and here is an interesting article:
http://www.bathtravel.com/palmair/holiday_which_2003.htm

Regards Ryan,

Premi@ir Gold :D

phil_2405
20th Mar 2005, 18:13
Must be only a matter of time until they have to upgrade to more modern, comfortable and efficient aircraft??

Yankee
20th Mar 2005, 21:27
I have a lot of admiration for Peter Bath. He found himself a nice niche market at BOH over the years which he has vehmently protected against the major IT’s, but the arrival of Flybe at SOU and now Thomsonfly on his home ground means he is going to have to work even harder to maintain his market share.
I have flown with them a number of times and think it’s a great experience. What other tour operator have a separate desk after check in to do your seat allocations. At the departure gate, there he is Peter himself to welcome you and call the boarding order. If memory serves me correct he boards from the centre row, say 13, and 11 though the front door and 15 and 17 though the rear, followed by 12,10 and 14,16 etc. thus hopefully avoiding everyone pushing past each other in the aisle. The theory is great and works most times, but it has been known for the flight crew to get a bit anxious when they have a tight slot time to make. On board the service is not what you would expect from a tour operator and you soon forget that this is an old 200, 737. The food is good the staff friendly and don’t forget the daily fresh flowers in the loo.
Oh and that extra legroom from the row of seats that he has removed is most welcome also. There is something special when you can pick up the in flight magazine and turn to the centre pages and read the personal details of all the flight and cabin crew and identify from their photos who is looking after you today. Is there any other airline that can beat that?
Whether this extraordinary operation can survive in this cutthroat LLC environment only time will tell, I for one sincerely hope it can.
For a number of years he operated the 146 and made a big sells pitch about it being a Whisper Jet, what a contrast the EAC 737’s made, but there seems very little local public out cry against them. Is it most locals know it’s one of Peter’s planes so they either think they can’t be all that bad if he’s using them or as it’s one of his they’ll put up with it?
I think that when Peter does start using the quieter 300’s or what ever, he will genuinely feel a lot happier about not disturbing the locals so much. Whether that’s true or not, I’m not sure, but he is the type of person that makes you think that he cares

DELTABOY
21st Mar 2005, 13:49
Nice article Yankee, interesting & informative.
I agree, hats of to Peter, he certainly has kept up a good show at BOH & for the independant travel industry. It will be a very sad day if it should disappear.
Lets hope he stands his ground at BOH along with newer equipment & perhaps a more interesting livery!:ok:

niknak
21st Mar 2005, 22:32
Its probably more to do with the fact that the Palmair 737s are the 200 series coal burning variety which don't meet the new noise standards and consequently attract an extra levy when operating into many European airports and in the near future will be banned from doing so.
They can't say they weren't warned, the legislation has been around for ages...

Fly_JEMS
22nd Mar 2005, 01:34
Haven't heard this rumour around AEU House yet.

Harry F Sanford
22nd Mar 2005, 10:08
nik nak

The EU legislation you refer to - which would have banned hushkitted aircraft from April 1 2002 - was scrapped as a result of pressure from the Americans. Nothing out there right now to stop hushkitted aircraft from flying on.

Nakata77
27th Mar 2005, 19:07
Palmair rejected the AshtraysRus option because they coulnt get as good a deal as they were getting with EAC. Remember that 1 aircraft in the Palmair fleet has incredibly low utilisation.

I heard that they will be relying on EAC to re-equip fleet, rumoured to be the MD80/90.

Palmair definately needs a refurb i.e new livery, newer planes, a happier workforce in terms of competing more effectively with TUI etc. They should be concentrating on niche routes out of BOH and unfortunatley Spain isn't a niche any more.

BOH
29th Mar 2005, 19:29
Palmair will hardly have to worry too much about the Thomsonfly flights from BOH let alone the Flybe. flights from SOU, they operate a totaly different business. The only way they could be affected is in there TINY seat only market on the Palma route, as Thomsonfly and Flybe. are low cost while Palmair is a full service charter carrier.

Anyway, back to the subject. :O

Although the Palmair aircraft arent in that bad nick, maybe it is time to update the fleet!However the simple livery is clean and straight to the point, and works well with the B732, personaly i see no need to change it until they do use newer planes.

Cheers

BOH

Thunderball 2
29th Mar 2005, 21:19
Quote from BOH:

"Palmair will hardly have to worry too much about the Thomsonfly flights from BOH let alone the Flybe. flights from SOU, they operate a totaly different business. The only way they could be affected is in there TINY seat only market on the Palma route, as Thomsonfly and Flybe. are low cost while Palmair is a full service charter carrier".

I'm sure Peter Bath would say "in your dreams"! Cheap fares CHANGE PEOPLE'S TRAVEL HABITS. Many passengers on FlyBe from SOU will have been driving from Torquay or Andover and spending money they would otherwise have spent on Palmair - even if they're going to destinations that Palmair don't serve. If you want proof, simply plot Palmair's seat-only prices over the last three summers. Down, down, down....

BOH
30th Mar 2005, 10:34
Quote from Thunderball 2:

"Many passengers on FlyBe from SOU will have been driving from Torquay or Andover and spending money they would otherwise have spent on Palmair..."

My point was Palmairs seat only market isnt large. Palmair is a charter carrier for Bath Travel, and so most of their flights will be booked up of package holiday passengers. Thomsonfly is more aimed at the independent passenger, although, fairplay, they are selling some of their seats of for package holidays! Palmair has a good reputation around the area, and so surely wont have to worry about thomsonfly.com taking away their passengers as their a package holiday operator?!

Sorry Just how i see it! :rolleyes:

BOH :O

crewboi83
30th Mar 2005, 13:24
Have heard the off rumour that European is to aquire the 737-300 to replce the old 737-200's? I know they were to aquire the 733 just before they went bust as they were opeing BFS EDI and NCL as seasonal bases.
Good company European, as is the Palmair op... would be good to see them on the up again!

loveJet
31st Mar 2005, 07:54
what is your source? I knew they were looking at the B733 but thought the plans had been shelved in favour of MD80/90?

do u have any idea of time-scale?

the B732 have extention till March 2007

BOH
31st Mar 2005, 12:55
Quote loveJet

"the B732 have extention till March 2007"

Do you mean that Palmair has extended their lease of the 732 until March 2007?!Sorry a little bit confused!

I think it would be benifical for them to look at the B737 Classics, better economics than the MD80 series.

BOH

crewboi83
31st Mar 2005, 12:56
LoveJet no other info, thats what im trying to find out, i currently work for European on the 737-200.... I do love it, its a gem to work on, and they are not as bad as people say. I have worked for a well known charter airline on a brand new airbus fleet and had more tech problems and precautionary landings than I care to remember.... where as European... I've had not 1!

I'd love to see the 737-300 or Airbus at European but I know money is a bit tight, not looking forward to the MD's if we get them! I have to admit though, the 737-200 needs a paint job!

As far as i was aware the plans to remove the 732's have been scrapped, to much pressure from airline so I thought they were ok to continue service... prob wrong though :O

loveJet
31st Mar 2005, 14:18
not sure if Palmair are commited to continuing the B732 till March 07 but definately European have gained an extention. By extention I mean in terms of being banned from the skies due to noise!

crewboi83, why do u not want the MD80? I love the B732 but i'm afraid they're looking tired and old now. Fuel wise not a good move for any airline in todays environment either.

DELTABOY
31st Mar 2005, 16:01
MD-80's are vile to work on, pokey skinny cabin & awkward rear side galley, their just not crew friendly.
No, give me a 737 any day. Agree about the 200's I used to love em...that thunderous roar on take off in the back galley ....ooohh & those thrust reverser buckets deploying after landing....fab! Halcyon days!:{

crewboi83
1st Apr 2005, 15:48
I have to agree... ive worked on the MD's and i dont like them!!! I want a real aircraft, fingers X its the 733!
I think the rumour about the MD started as EAC have used JetX on a few flights due to lack numerous reasons, but i hope its just a fill in, I woldn't wanna work on them MD's. Its just a personal preference.

BARRYSCOTT
5th Oct 2005, 00:57
Palmair fly to jersey almost every week if not twice or more in the summer. i hear that alot of people have complaind about the noise i hope it doesnt stop coming its a great bird a true classic. but very noisy though for a small island. they even take it into gurnsey i herd they were gona stop the palmair operation after 2007.

GBALU53
17th Nov 2005, 15:41
With all the problems going on at Euroopean Air Charter and Palmair have two aircraft operating for them will it have any effect on there operations???

I believe some time ago they were looking into operations with Boeing 737 300 aircraft as the European Air Charter ones are Boeing 737-200 hush kitted??? and they only just comply with european noise regulations.

Airport staff like to see the Boeing 737-200 departures from a runway of less than 1800mts if the aircraft has a full passenger load cross wind and high temperatures it make a sight seeing the take-off run then the climb out.

The Boeing 737-200 must be near to finishing operations within Europe shortly.

Would Palmair be in a position to start there own operation as they have leased aircraft in for a number decades????.

With so many Boeing around the world one would think the Boeing 737-300 would be able to be got hold of with so may next generation Boeings around now.

BOHEuropean
21st Nov 2005, 18:21
All the European 737-200s are going to Ozjet.

Palmair is using Astraes for the longer flights next year - don't know what European will do when the 200's are gone nor do I know what Palmair is doing.

BohEuropean

Buster the Bear
21st Nov 2005, 20:17
Is the 146 currently en-route from Australia to Hurn and destined for EAC, going to be used by Palmair? VH-EWR if my memory is correct?

BOH
21st Nov 2005, 20:54
I doubt it, Palmair upgraded the 146 to a 732, and with the new longer range routes they're operating it just wouldn't make sence to use that next summer!Would be much better if they got a 733 tho

GBALU53
22nd Nov 2005, 08:15
With palmair using Asteraus B733 on the longer routes and onof the replies speaking about a BA146 Returning to the U.K. from down under, would they use this aircraft if it does arrive on some of the shorter sectors
I.E. Palma or Malaga or similar sectors.

This would seem a bit of a step backwards as they used BA146s a decade or so ago .

Wycombe
22nd Nov 2005, 09:09
....seem to remember the Flightline Palmair 146 was quite well travelled, and used to go "aircruising" around N Africa and the Middle East, as well as flying the Med routes from BOH.

Often thought that would make a great holiday.

shamrock7seal
22nd Nov 2005, 13:34
i believe that palmair have a contract with EAC to use the B737-200 up to March 2007. after that palmair are believed to be considering atraeus B737-700 for their entire programme, but alot depends on how TUI affect their business. It could mean that only on sectors of 3 hours and above they use the -700 and on shorter flights and day trips, the 146 may be appropriate.

eurostar builder
22nd Nov 2005, 18:07
I believed the 146 where comming to england to go be leased back to Aussie for Ozjet.

Air Hop
23rd Nov 2005, 09:22
VH- 146's arriving at EXT for storage. First one is at the Flybe hangar.

shamrock7seal
6th Aug 2007, 06:13
Norfolk air announced they are replacing B737-200 with newer equipment in 2008. Is this still with OzJet (European Air Charter?) under the wet leasing arrangment? If so this may mean that Palmair and Ozjet also have a fleet renewal planned for 2008. Can it be confirmed that the replacement aircraft are B737 next generation or softly rumoured MD90's?
The B737-200 is banned from UK skies from March/April 2008, so Palmair must be replacing them?

ADC2604
6th Aug 2007, 18:04
I've never heard of Norfolkair - is this just another name for EAC?? like Palmair and stuff

airhumberside
6th Aug 2007, 20:57
Norfolk is an island of the East Australia coast. Norfolkair fly there (cant remember if on a charter or scheduled basis) and Ozjet provide planes, and crews as well I think, for them. Norfolkair is not connected to Ozjet, in the same way Bath Travel/Palmair is not connected to EAC

Hawk
6th Aug 2007, 21:16
Scheduled basis three times a week from Brisbane and Sydney and soon from Newcastle and Melbourne.
http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/

Manston Airport
6th Aug 2007, 21:42
Wonder if they get 2nd hand Mad-Dogs 80's and why is the 737-200 getting Banned from are skies.? If its noise then thats stupid I dont think they are loud at all :mad: I bet Soon we see the MD-80's banned :mad::mad:

James

Nakata77
7th Aug 2007, 01:49
I wish EAC would replace all their fleet with some decent aircraft - B737NG, and B757

OliWW
7th Aug 2007, 09:33
I heard a while back that they were getting rid of there B732adv and im sure it said on this site that they were looking at B733's or B736's

B736 would be a nice change in UK skies thats for sure, with only flyglobespan with them!

MUFC_fan
22nd Jul 2008, 09:19
With airlines dropping like flies, how is this airline staying afloat?!

There single aircraft remains full pretty much all of the time - is this because they are only selling a small number of holidays?

There a/c is a fuel guzzler yet they still find it possible to fill their planes and I assume they are making a profit!

Not only that but they have beaten some of the world's largest and most respected airlines to a prestigous award - congratulations!

Why don't we have another airline like this in the UK? Why is Bournemouth getting all the fun!:ok:

STATSMAN
22nd Jul 2008, 12:25
It's all down to Bath Travel. This travel agent is well respected on the south coast, with most of their clients being retired & well heeled (Skiers not the snow type).

STATSMAN

Groundloop
22nd Jul 2008, 12:36
Firstly, Palmair do NOT have any aircraft. European Aircharter provide the aircraft and flight crew, Palmair provide the cabin crew.

Although the 737-200 is a real fuel guzzler European don't actually fly them that often. The Palmair allocated aircraft may only have a daily utilisation of 5 hours if their is only as single rotation to, say, Malaga that day. Therefore we are not talking about 10-12 hours in the air per day like most normal airlines. Therefore the fuel bill is not that great, and this is offset by European owning the aircraft, which are probably fully depreciated, therefore higher fuel burn is offset by no leasing charges, etc. European also do their own maintenance and have their own simulator so everything is done in house.

Palmair succeed because they are now in a niche market ie a full-service airline out of Bournemouth. Some people still prefer that sort of thing. Also they do charge significantly more that Ryaniar/Thomsonfly BUT there are no hidden extras like check-in, bags etc.

So basically Palmair survive because they are different and the 737-200 survives because, overall, it is still relatively cheap for European to operate.

OliWW
22nd Jul 2008, 13:31
I hear its also well maintained :ok:, which may be why its lasting well, flew on it with some friends from bournemouth 2 years ago, and it was more comfortable than a easyjet flight on a B737 I had about 4 years ago

Gorbachev's mate
22nd Jul 2008, 21:06
Palmair is owned by Bath Travel, a very well-respected chain of retail travel agents in Hants, Wilts & Dorset. They sell their own package holidays, 'flight-only' deals, weekend breaks, etc mostly using the Palmair aircraft. Having been around for 50 years, being on every High Street, and having an excellent reputation for service I would expect them to survive current economic difficulties.

MARKEYD
4th Dec 2008, 09:29
Palmair are using Jet 2 aircraft this week to operate there services from Bournemouth to Tenerife , Fuerteventura , Lanzarote and Monastir in the wake of European ceasing trading , who they had been using since 1999 on the 737 classic

Previously they had been leasing a BAe 146 300 ( G- BPNT ) FROM Flightline

They are also in talks with Jet 2 and another carrier i believe about leasing an aircraft full time to continue operating there services and to have the cabin crew of Palmair back on board

Good luck

dontdoit
4th Dec 2008, 09:40
Well one thing's for sure, they won't be using a Flightline aircraft either :(

freightdoggy dog
4th Dec 2008, 11:12
Markeyd,

They won't be using "Palmair" cabin crew, they were made redundant by EAAC!

It will be the carriers cabin crew, Jet2 or whoever, who will be in check and current on that type of a/c.

PS Jet2 just annouced £37 million profit for first 6 months this morning, they must being doing something right.

loveJet
4th Dec 2008, 14:17
i believe the Palmair cabin crew were not employed by EAAC, they were employed directly by Palmair who damp leased the B732's from EAAC with pilots only.

MARKEYD
4th Dec 2008, 14:44
freightdoggy dog

You are correct about EAAC crew being made redundant but i was under the impression Bath Travel employed there own cabin crew ( they used to be interviewed personally by Peter Bath and there cabin services manager at his house outside of Bournemouth ! ) they tended to just recruit mature experienced ladies who had flown before !!

They were then trained by EAAC to SEP requirement on the 737 but the cabin service was done the Palmair way . The crew only ever operated flights for Palmair and not EAAC flights

At the moment the crew are not working and you are correct that JET 2 cabin crew are operating the flights at this time but i believe once Bath Travel have negotiated an aircraft to lease again , the Palmair cabin crew will be SEP trained onto that particular aircraft they decide on and re start flying

I do stand corrected though if anyone knows different to this

OliWW
4th Dec 2008, 17:33
A long leased A319 would suite them perfect

loveJet
5th Dec 2008, 13:15
it would be great to see a B733 or B73G or A319 in Palmair colours. Maybe they'll then be able to get worlds best status instead of 3rd best. (-:

im thinking leather seats, business class... hahaha just kidding

jimbobs
8th Dec 2008, 16:08
palmair is still running liek normal part from the aircraft they did leased have gone , i do know that channel express (jet2) aircrafts were helping palmair out.

FLYboh
8th Dec 2008, 16:17
Word is Flyglobespan have done a deal and start from January. We will have to wait and see how this will impact on day trip programme for 2009, as I think that a 2nd EAC 737 did these flights.

Nakata77
10th Dec 2008, 13:38
Perfect fit - B736 (Flyglobespan stored B737-600 to be used at BOH)

Palmair have secured a B737-600 for exclusive use from Bournemouth from Jan/Feb 2009. It will be painted in PALMAIR colours and damp-leased (using Flyglobespan pilots relocated to Bournemouth from Scotland).

Currently the aircraft is fitted with 131 seats. 6 seats may be removed for the Palmair configuration of 125 (1 more than the EAC B737-200), This is a sensible solution as it doesn't grow capacity from the airport at a time when charter airlines are consolidating. It wil also drink far LESS fuel than the B737-200 so will offer Palmair more profitability. Palmair cabin crew will be re-instated. Aircraft will have leather seats.

OliWW
10th Dec 2008, 14:52
What is the reg of the aircraft that Palmair will be leasing from Jan 09?

luvly jubbly
10th Dec 2008, 15:02
GSM's only remaining B737-600 is G-CDKT

blueplatinum
12th Dec 2008, 14:47
Does anyone know if they have any plans for LPA as they seem very strong in the rest of the Canaries?

MARKEYD
12th Dec 2008, 17:46
Palmair tried a season to Las Palmas a few years ago but cancelled the season when Thomsonfly announced the route and bookings were not up to scratch with Palmair although the Thomsonfly service has recorded good loads

They have a strong presence in the rest of the Canaries though and will be interesting to see how Palmair and Thomsonfly go head to head on the Funchal route this winter which has always been a Bath Travel domain

ray
14th Dec 2008, 07:18
Many Recent Palmair passengers have welcomed the New planes (jet2) with far better toilets and seating. With the Globespan move this can only be a Improvement for Palmair.

Rumour is the G-CDKT is already being painted in Palmair scheme as we speak (Would be nice for a red tail and White Palmair titles)

and a picture of the new aircraft . Photos: Boeing 737-683 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flyglobespan/Boeing-737-683/1188698/M/)

Ray M.

dc9-32
14th Dec 2008, 07:26
I wonder if they will keep the red belly and just have PALMAIR going up a red tail. Dull but somewhat pleasing scheme :ok:

Ste_P
14th Dec 2008, 19:35
Think those of you who believe a GSM aircraft will appear at some point in Jan to operate the services will be a little dissapointed...

Thaimike
15th Dec 2008, 01:48
Ste P Well don't leave us dangling in mid air, if you know something we don't come out with it!!

ryanair1
15th Dec 2008, 02:17
Yeh come on Ste P enlighten us please.

i don' think people would be too disappointed if Palmair elected to keep the Jet2 B733's instead of the B73G-600 - it's more capacity anyway.

I would have thought the B73G-600 would be the perfect fit for Palmair - Flyglobespan surely would be leasing it cheap if its been 'stored', its the right capacity, it has great range for places like Rhodes, Malta and Tenerife.

Perhaps the worry about Flyglobespan's financial state has put this into question? Jet2 seems far more stable and has knowledge of Bournemouth airport having been based there once.

freightdoggy dog
15th Dec 2008, 11:18
Ste P is correct..Jet2 flying the Palmair Programme till the end of March 09.

airhumberside
15th Dec 2008, 11:42
i don' think people would be too disappointed if Palmair elected to keep the Jet2 B733's instead of the B73G-600 - it's more capacity anyway.
Do Palmair want the extra capacity though?

FLYboh
14th Feb 2009, 10:25
Palmair will soon be launching an online booking system for flights.

In the local paper they say that they've had a very good start to holiday sales in January selling over 4000 in the first few weeks. Lets hope it continues for them.

sam dilly
14th Feb 2009, 11:53
who is actually going to be flying the programme this summer.
all has gone very quiet on that front at the moment.

FLYboh
14th Feb 2009, 13:14
As far as I'm aware Jet2 have the contract.

Anyone know different?

Maverick8701
14th Feb 2009, 13:43
A friend of mine who works for a well known airline said that they had been asked to tender for the work so I guess Palm have asked several companies to tend for it aswell as jet2 although I would say they look in a strong position

M

sam dilly
14th Feb 2009, 13:56
No I dont think Jet 2 want it after the winter, nor do Globespan according
to stories north of the border.
Will Bath bight the bullet and go to Titan.
Also heard that Jet 2 lost the Lourdes business this summer to Titan,
and now that Ryanair are pulling off Lourdes,it should be a good summer on that route for the charterers.
Interesting times out there for those left in the small aircraft(737) charter market.

commit aviation
14th Feb 2009, 17:11
I don't think it is a case of Jet2 not wanting it - more a case of not having a spare aircraft to operate it with.
The summer low cost programme sees all their aircraft fully committed from late May to early September leaving little space for charter work during that period.

OliWW
14th Feb 2009, 17:37
What ever happened to the globespan which they were going to have, I thought that it was already painted and things?

commit aviation
14th Feb 2009, 17:54
In the current climate I would suggest: believe nothing until you see it over the runway threshold!!

learjet50
14th Feb 2009, 19:32
Re Palmair

Flybe with E195 118 Y seat will start the season

A/C will Posn SOU-BOH and v/v as and when required

Hope this ends all the speculation

Maverick8701
14th Feb 2009, 20:43
Has this def been confirmed? Heard they were in the running? But also heard there was a couple other options for the spare E195. Flybe been doing quite a bit of charter work this winter good way to top up income! I believe 2 E195's went to Seville for the football on tues.

M

4Screwaircrew
15th Feb 2009, 11:15
That's going to leave Palmair well short of capacity, they have been selling the extra seats that the 300 offers.

Buster the Bear
16th Feb 2009, 08:20
Read the post, it says "start the season".

bluepilot
16th Feb 2009, 14:13
I may be wrong (and often am!) but i understand the E195 will not make the canary islands with a full load. Anyone with the facts please?

MARKEYD
16th Feb 2009, 17:19
Again as far as i am aware , the Palmair Cabin crew are or will be very shortly be up and running on the leased Jet 2 aircraft . It would seem a huge expense to lay them off again and keep training them up on different aircraft that keep operating the services at short notice .
Palmair is very Brand driven with the cabin crew very much at the front of the product a real part of the holiday experience with Palmair ( hence the awards ) so to change aircraft again doesn t make sense .
I have heard from Bath Travel that the Jet 2 aircraft is hear to stay for the summer now and the programme has been sold as 148 seats , out of interest would the Flybe aircraft make Tenerife , Monastir and Corfu with a full load of passengers , fuel , duty free and meals which is what they offer ?

JobsaGoodun
16th Feb 2009, 17:52
I don't think range on the E195 would be a major issue. Flybe got the LR anyway to give them the extra legs.

IIRC the first E195 made it all the way in from Cape Verde to UK on it's delivery flight and that's significantly further than the Canary's.

Subsequent deliveries have come in Brazil with one stop via Gran Canaria.

freightdoggy dog
16th Feb 2009, 21:09
2 Positioning sectors will cost Flybe, Titan not interested even though they have an aircraft based at BOH, J2 a/c tied up with the Lo Cost sched...mmmm
What will some one give me for a Turkish MD83...

Jet2krazey
16th Feb 2009, 23:42
I heard Palmair were in talks with Jet2 too purchasing another aircraft purposely for the Palmair contract.

Wellington Bomber
17th Feb 2009, 16:40
Its a bit different flying in from Gran Canaria empty than carrying 120 pax in the opposite direction!

Cloud1
17th Feb 2009, 16:57
The E195 is fine to operate with full load to Gran Canaria, Corfu, Madeira etc

Maverick8701
17th Feb 2009, 17:14
Are Flybe looking pretty likley for this work then?

MARKEYD
17th Feb 2009, 19:24
Has Flybe got a spare 195 around for the summer then or has it been taken out of the Southampton schedule if that is where it might to be comming from
Palmair has a full summer schedule so i cant see it keep going back to Southampton for the odd flight ?

Still believe it will be Jet 2 or similar equipment

freightdoggy dog
17th Feb 2009, 20:06
Markeyd..you should work in charter ops ! Palamair source a frame and pay the lease..J2 to crew and manage it...:ok: Im sure it will all be wrapped up with 5 minutes to spare

OltonPete
17th Feb 2009, 20:26
MARKEYD

The spare flybe 195 resides at bhx and covers for any of the fleet.
Even with the half-term holiday this week it was sat locked up on
the 20's on Saturday afternoon whilst the two operational ones at BHX
were on Ski charters.

The plan was that it would be spare during summer as well, if this
is still the plan I do not know.

Pete

Captain Lampshade
18th Feb 2009, 09:59
A very reliable source has told me that you may well see a different aircraft operating from April and it is unlikely to be one that struggles on the longer routes.

The Flying Stool
18th Feb 2009, 19:12
Out of interest, how much is a deal like the one with Jet2 or Flybe likely to cost Palmair? There are plenty of used 737's available on the market in addition to an unhealthy number of umemployed rated pilots. Palmair already have their own cabin crew and already have ground crew contracted, therefore, Palmair operating a single airframe its self must be similar in cost to contracting a third party operator for several years.

learjet50
18th Feb 2009, 19:28
OltonPete

The spare E195 of FlyBe may be at BHX now but watch this space/Summer Sked s it maybe based else were when not doing AD HOC Fights

It will all come out in the wash

Regards

Groundloop
19th Feb 2009, 08:00
Palmair operating a single airframe its self must be similar in cost to contracting a third party operator for several years.

Except they would have to go through all the hoops to get an AOC (which can take quite a time) and that is not something that Bath Travel probably want to be bothered with.

johnanddot22
9th Mar 2009, 21:01
Jet 2 til end of this month then Viking? Then - any ideas?

ryanair1
11th Mar 2009, 05:54
There is no room at BOH for an airline like Palmair. The old people who are the only ones who use them in any number are in finite and dwindling supply (thats the politest way of saying it) and thus their business will also dwindle and die off eventually. Its all about survival of the fittest.

They have run away from BOH-Spain routes quicker than we can say ''show us your wrinkly nipples'' when we started MJV, ALC and AGP...

Same will happen on FAO, PMI, TFS eventually

Expressflight
11th Mar 2009, 07:39
Funny, I thought statistics show that the proportion of the UK population that could be called "elderly" is increasing all the time. Still, Ryanair never let the facts get in the way of their propaganda do they?

boredcounter
11th Mar 2009, 07:44
But old people never run out and I bet you they will retire to BOH long after RYR have given up on it.

johnanddot22
11th Mar 2009, 07:46
The problem is your vision of a perfect world dominated by few companies is a boring one run by boring people , and you too will eventually meet your Waterloo - and whats left then? Remember the great days of the British car industry and look at it now - its a bit like the Irish car industry - non existant!

johnanddot22
11th Mar 2009, 08:02
I'll say this for you - at least you stirred some action on a thread that had dried up, and tho' I'm a fisherman I don't usually rise to the bait - however I'm astonished at your (personal) view of your elderly clients in BOH area - and the South generally - perhaps you should go "public" -and dont forget you may grow old one day

ryanair1
11th Mar 2009, 10:46
tend to agree with your 1st sentence johnanddot22

hmm. Palmair and the future...

Such an oxymoron.

Maybe the future for them means operating from SEN, BLK and Brighton City (Shoreham?) - God's own waiting rooms.

BOH is becoming very quickly less and less popular with older folk - but one thing is for sure. Older folks have more dosh. We love them - don't get me wrong; hence my desire for Palmair to roll over and die already

in the politest possible sense - of course.

johnanddot22
11th Mar 2009, 13:14
I don't necessarily agree with your sentiments but I appreciate your honesty. Would love to hear your comments on my first topics i.e. Viking and ? maybe Globespan?

paully
11th Mar 2009, 16:11
You beleive that people will put up with any sort of appalling service as long as there is a cheap ticket at the end of it, and sadly in some respects you`re right...Palmair however have never taken your jaundiced view and offer everything that you dont.......no wonder you want them to roll over and die........

sam dilly
11th Mar 2009, 16:12
WOW Ryanair1 you are a one.
insulting the older people like that !
I suppose the pound a PxxS latest extra will help Ryanair to lower costs even more !

Flitefone
11th Mar 2009, 20:36
Ryanair will be successful in pushing Palmair out of much of the traditional Palmair BOH markets.. ALC, AGP already gone, would expect Canaries & Faro to disappear from Palmair too... but there is a market for what Palmair do. No point in battling RYR head to head though on the high volume bucket and spade stuff. But Palmair's PMI might just survive..

RYR will also push TFly out of BOH too - this year probably.

Palmair just need to adapt. They will - but I don't see any growth on the radar. I predict more 'exotic' Palmair destinations instead.. e.g. Red Sea, Morocco, Cyprus, focussing on the higher end customers. That will leave RYR happy, and Palmair in their silver surfers niche.

...so Palmair will probably be looking for a longer range aircraft capability, and 120-150 seats.. A319 or 737-700, especially if it could also serve some of the nearer cruise charters that their parent Bath Travel have made core business. The Palmair challenge as ever will be to generate enough work to keep one aircraft viably busy.

Interesting to watch this play out.

FF

airhumberside
11th Mar 2009, 21:58
RYR will also push TFly out of BOH too - this year probably.
Im not so sure. TOM are maintaining 'high frequency' on PMI against FR and have quite a few charter routes that FR isnt likely to tocuh anytime soon such as Rhodes, Dalaman and Paphos

Flitefone
11th Mar 2009, 22:31
Time will tell Humber

The Tfly routes could be a nice little deal for Palmair to fill those extra hours needed for the aircraft..

We'll know by August either way..

ryanair1
12th Mar 2009, 03:36
jonanddot22: viking - wouldn't fly them if you paid me. flyglobespan - if all the comments on here are to be taken seriously the only a/c Palmair could 'fit' with is their sole B736 parked up at EMA

todays young people will be tomorrows old people. But remember they are growing up with LCC's. And therefore understand that getting from A to B safely, reliably and cheaply is ALL that matters. i doubt that will change when they are decrepit. Perhaps a better hotel. perhaps a luxury car. But save on the flight. it's common bloody sense.

Its only the current old generation who expect more from flying as flying represented true luxury when THEY were growing up.

come on, you know i'm right.

conradmueller
12th Mar 2009, 07:03
Anything is better than flying with Mick.:ugh:

Groundloop
12th Mar 2009, 09:29
The problem with Ryanair people is that they are NEVER wrong.

So don't waste your breath trying to argue and reason with them.

johnanddot22
12th Mar 2009, 17:13
Your comments on Viking and Globespan are very mild and uncontroversial! Perhaps you are mellowing with age! I expected something much harder hitting than that. The problem with your comments is that many may have some truth about them BUT what a miserable world you live in where only you must succeed at all cost to others .You should learn to live together and alongside people like Palmair who have helped to keep this airport going thro the thin times and have earned the respect and loyalty of many local travellers - when you were nowhere to be seen! Both airlines, and others, have a useful function - even if they have to avoid you, and you would be better appreciated by all if you could get your brain round this. BUT of course you don,t care do you - as I said what sad and boring world you would have us live in.

superspur
12th Mar 2009, 17:20
Palmair will shortly confirm Hola Airlines as their summer carrier:ok:

transwede
12th Mar 2009, 19:21
Hola once had a base in NCL with a 733, somewhat varied opinions on service and not the best track record for OTP! Hopefully Palmair will be ok with Hola - a well run, small company is a rarity in the UK these days.

johnanddot22
12th Mar 2009, 19:45
I take it this isn't anything to do with the ex Hola 733 they have in their paint shop and which is for sale ?

johnanddot22
12th Mar 2009, 19:54
Last post was not clear! For "they" read European Skybus - of course!

ryanair1
13th Mar 2009, 04:13
jonanddot22 - sorry to disappoint re viking and flyglobespan. But these carriers are not going to be around in the future - thus didnt want to waste my time commenting on them.

HOLA AIRLINES

Fleet 1- B734 (168 seats), 4- B733 (138 seats). They have also operated the A320 and B757

I have no idea about their safety or reliability. I know i would rather fly my own airline than Hola though... Palmair are putting themselves in a perfect situation for a fall with these guys. Hola's financial circumstances are certainly a concern.

I agree that life is more interesting with variety. If Palmair had their own AOC and were operating as a stand-alone carrier with their own aircraft and employees (Flight deck) i might have a different opinion.

johnanddot22
13th Mar 2009, 07:45
All comments noted. I appreciate the replies and banter. I thought Hola were now down to just the one 734 - seems some doubt on this.

Chidken Sangwich
13th Mar 2009, 11:40
How many hull losses is it that Hola have had then...???:rolleyes:

spencer-owen
14th Mar 2009, 10:07
I wonder who will be crewing the aircraft for Hola airlines, and by that i mean both flight deck and cabin crew, does anybody know ????

I quite fancy a cabin crew job this summer out of Bournemouth and i will be interested to hear from anybody in the loop.

Cheers for now

MARKEYD
14th Mar 2009, 15:18
Palmair will not be using Hola airlines !

Viking is the carrier to be used from April onwards , they would have continued to use Jet 2 but there aircraft is required back into scheduled service but served a very valuable link this winter continuing the operation for Palmair after the collapse of European Aviation

Viking airlines has been sourced for the summer season with Palmair cabin crew operating the cabin service with all the usual little extra s that the customers have come to expect ie. legroom , quality of in flight meals , fresh flowers in the loos ! ( i know it sounds mad ) and general good customer service , which people of all ages are still prepared to pay for !

There is room in the market at Bournemouth for both low cost carriers and Palmair , people still want a package holiday and everything that comes with it and Palmair provide that

I agree that Ryanair and Thomson have seen Palmair off on quite a few routes but they will continue to hold there own even in tough times as they are a well managed operation and with the addition of this new aircraft it will open up some new routes hopefully like Cyprus and Egypt next winter

Good luck to them

ryanair1
14th Mar 2009, 15:29
http://uk.vikingairlines.com/documents/airliner_world_2009.pdf

(Airliner world article on Viking)

BOH aircraft will most likely be a B737-300 being delivered in March or April

will this be in Palmair or Viking colours? They are linked to KISS airlines with their own booking engine. I wonder if they will also add BOH to the booking engine - will help Palmair get more flight only pax if they do.

FLYboh
14th Mar 2009, 16:04
Re online booking, The Palmair website says that online booking is coming soon, so this would back up the Viking story.

MARKEYD
14th Mar 2009, 16:17
I dont think they will enter into a booking engine with another company , Bath Travel are completely on there own with no ties to any other company , they tried years ago to share a charter with another company aircraft i think it was Monarch 757 aircraft to Tenerife and half the cabin had Palmair head covers and a different service all very awkward

I can see where your going on this as it makes sense to get as many seat s as possible on board but there aint no way Palmair would do this

They are however finally entering into the Website era this summer by launching " FLYPALMAIR " .CO .UK , which is a seat only sale to fill some of there seats

They are actually doing quite well with bookings this summer so far with quite a few already sold out , but have cut back on a few services though

Believe the aircraft to be a 737 300 and it will just have Palmair markings on the front as in previous years , bit bland but hey .....

The Member
14th Mar 2009, 16:21
Viking till end of April only as a/c is required elswhere.

globetrotter79
14th Mar 2009, 16:51
MARKEYED

Not technically true....the current Jet2-operated flights are being marketed as seat only also by Teleticket Travel, as has been reported within the travel trade press. Whether this will continue with the launch of their own online booking engine remains to be seen though.

MARKEYD
14th Mar 2009, 17:25
The Member

Spoken directly to Palmair flight operations plus have friends / crew who are involved with this and they are being assured it will be Viking throughout the summer operation and the crew have been trained up and ready to switch over from Jet 2 to Viking ....

Remains to be seen i guess but all will be revealed soon i hope

johnanddot22
14th Mar 2009, 22:58
As I wrote in #133 - Jet 2 then Viking! Where Hola came from ? knows. Ex bmi baby G-BYZJ has looked the likely a/c for some time, waiting for Palmair titles? What happens if it goes tech tho?

aidoair
14th Mar 2009, 23:04
As I wrote in #133 - Jet 2 then Viking! Where Hola came from ? knows. Ex bmi baby G-BYZJ has looked the likely a/c for some time, waiting for Palmair titles? What happens if it goes tech tho?

It could be Titan lined up should that happen... I know Viking will be operating mainly the 738 aircraft and a 733 in the UK this summer so presumably it will be the latter that Palmair will be using and not the MD-80 aircraft they also have in there fleet elsewhere?

loveJet
15th Mar 2009, 01:53
will flight deck crew be based in BOH or will they be stationed at LGW and ferried? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but never know what commitments they might have at LGW. I think they also have a based unit there.

rumair999
15th Mar 2009, 18:56
Going back to Jet2, I'm sure if the hours per month worked for this type of aircraft they would be doing it - the simple fact is the hours per month dont stack up for a profit making and well run airline like Jet2.
Hence the other names being banded around, perhaps one flight a day works for them ! :ok:

OliWW
15th Mar 2009, 20:00
the second B733 is coming from Garuda Indonesia which is also ex Varig Brazil built in 1997 and the third is coming from Southern China airlines which was also built in 1997. G-BYZJ being the oldest of 1991

The Member
17th Mar 2009, 15:25
MARKEYD I am afraid your friends have given you wrong info.

TITAN are my favourites as they have a QCB733 based there that ops PO flying overnight. TITAN would make sense as Palmair programme is low hour utilisation so difficult to make work for a sensible seat rate.:ok:

oliversarmy
17th Mar 2009, 16:39
Might be hard to make it work at Titan's seat rates !!!

johnanddot22
23rd Mar 2009, 16:35
As noted on #165 G_BYZJ still favourite - confirmed today leased by Viking from GECAS. Reported to be reregd SE-RHT

FLYboh
2nd Apr 2009, 15:18
Palmair now have their online booking system up and running.:ok:

globetrotter79
2nd Apr 2009, 18:46
Palmair now have their online booking system up and running

...featuring Summer 2009 flights coded "LS"

johnanddot22
9th Apr 2009, 12:20
Apologies for posts 165 and 172 - a load of twoddle! For those who don't know - Palmair a/c since 2 April ;- so far first week :-Blue Line MD83 F-GMLX second week :- Blue Line MD83 F-GMLI from today :- Tor Air B734 SE-RJA- all operating under Viking flight code. At least it wasn't Ruinair.:D

Rainboe
9th Apr 2009, 13:45
There has been recent talk of a 737-500 with none of those airlines mentioned?

opsjockey
9th Apr 2009, 17:37
Hmm, the usually reliably informed Rainboe, mentioned a B737-500, G-STRF/H are both B737-700 and, i would imagine, pretty maxed out on the Iceland express routes... looks like an addidtion to the fleet...?

freightdoggy dog
9th Apr 2009, 19:33
Markeyd,
I have spoken to 2 directors at Titan and there isnt any money in it for them and they have a based B737 QC aircraft in BOH.

Therefore anyone else would have to position in and out of BOH (costly) or base an old type of airframe with no finance comitments on it..DC9, 737-200 etc or it could be an Icelandic group with lots of money behind it ???

Whatever happens it's going to be an interesting summer for the Palmair girls !

commit aviation
10th Apr 2009, 00:00
.....and I hope you haven't been doing anything too "interesting" with those Palmair girls you dodgy doggy dog!! :E

ryanair1
10th Apr 2009, 02:11
may i remind you this is PALMAIR operating from BOURNEMOUTH.

The GIRLS as you so loving call them are, in actual fact, all over the age of 50 aren't they???

Now if Bournemouth was more like Las Vegas, we're talking...

(-:

commit aviation
10th Apr 2009, 16:29
....over 50 you say? In which case I offer my humble apologies: they are far too young for old freight doggy!! :}

casadave
12th Apr 2009, 08:01
Average age - under 30, average years flying - 12. Devotion to the company - second to none, future - very bright.

ryanair1
12th Apr 2009, 12:10
take it you are trying to recruit some?

What is happening to them anyway now that Palmair seem to be operating with 3 or 4 different airlines at the moment?

freightdoggy dog
13th Apr 2009, 08:43
Casa Dave...Absolutely spot on !

Commit Aviation...age is only important when applied to a fine wine and 30 is a vintage I like very much:ok:

MARKEYD
16th Apr 2009, 15:26
Latest word at Palmair / Bath Travel is that indeed Viking / Tor Air have been operating for the last month with Swedish based crews using a mix match of aircraft Boeing 737 400 and MD 83

This will come to an end very soon and hopefully in time for the summer season in May when Astraeus will come on board ! This also reflects on the Palmair web site with AEU flight numbers now , previously VIK numbers

It was originally intended to be Viking but for some reason a last minute change will see Astraeus operate a based 737 in Palmair colours ( White with red titles on tail and fuselage )

Now comes the next bit ..... the aircraft is a 737 500 series ex British Airways which is somewhere in the UK at the moment . The cabin crew are being converted to the 500 series aircraft having already operated with Jet 2 300 series this winter

This is according to Bath Travel who have a memo out to there staff and to pass on to customers when booking a holiday which we have just done

Any comments about the 737 500 do you think this is correct ?

Envoy320
16th Apr 2009, 15:42
It would make more sense to have a smaller aircraft so I would say the
-500 series would be better.

casadave
16th Apr 2009, 16:02
Totally Palmair BOH based operation hosted by Astraeus - long term deal - crew retraining already underway - f/f 01/05 - new colour scheme.

BOAC
16th Apr 2009, 16:06
Well, Markey - if it is an ex BA 500, I wish all who sail in her well.............they were 'shagged' in 2004 and tewwibly underpowered.:)

OliWW
16th Apr 2009, 17:05
Does that make AEU have a extra B735 and B737 this summer, as there has been mention of a B737.700 joining their fleet as well

OliWW
16th Apr 2009, 17:15
Ah right. The only BA B735 that are left and havent been acquired yet are ex G-GFFB, G-GFFD and G-GFFJ built between 1990 and 1995

rumair999
16th Apr 2009, 17:31
Congrats to AEU then, perhaps having G at the start their regn's iso SE or F won it in the end.
Pretty sure they will do a cracking job.

spider_man
16th Apr 2009, 22:05
Looks most likely to be 1994 build B735 ex G-GFFJ, now owned by Celestial Aviation Shannon. A new registration G-PJPJ is in progress according to CAA website.

MARKEYD
17th Apr 2009, 18:12
That would make sense then especially as the reg of the aircraft involved is
G- PJPJ .

This was the late chairman of Bath Travel " Peter Bath " was known to his friends as PJ and this was reflected in his funeral when a European 737 did a flypast with the initial PJ on the side of the aircraft

I would imagine the seat config of the aircraft would remain the same at 110 seats as i think BA have the same seat pitch as would be required by Palmair on their short haul fleet

Yankee
17th Apr 2009, 20:37
What reassuring news to know that they now have a stable carrier. As an occasional user of Palmair, and liking that personal touch, I was getting a little apprehensive about knowing what if any airline was going to fit the bill

OliWW
17th Apr 2009, 20:37
I think the aircraft is going to either a 118 seat config or 125

freightdoggy dog
17th Apr 2009, 23:07
Oliww,
I was told today that the 735 will be 124 Seat config, a 3 year contract with a B757 as back up..which might give the coffin dodgers a fright if G-OJIB turns up :}

BOAC
18th Apr 2009, 07:46
Hmm! 124 seats - that'll be 'comfy' on the 'Taba with Tech Stop' :ouch: Now, a screaming skull 757.....:ok:

Cloud1
18th Apr 2009, 15:52
No prob for Palmair - they dont do Taba to my knowledge :)

COF&COE
18th Apr 2009, 20:19
might give the coffin dodgers a fright if G-OJIB turns up http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Heard she is being de-decaled (if that's the right terminology) before comimg back on line.

Hamrah
19th Apr 2009, 02:40
G-OJIB will be back in service in all white colours shortly.

"Eddie" will be missed !

BOAC
19th Apr 2009, 10:46
I think a few BA pax got the 'Bad karma or ju-ju' last time too...:)

fade to grey
19th Apr 2009, 10:50
Good for us....
seems to be some interesting stuff occuring:ok:

MARKEYD
28th Apr 2009, 18:55
The Palmair summer brochure now mentions the new Boeing 737 500 series aircraft operating there routes this summer with AEU flight numbers but still not sure when it is due to arrive

Viking still operating at moment but must have there own summer commitments as of next week i would imagine

Be good to see Palmair back in action

casadave
29th Apr 2009, 08:33
A/c due BOH 30/04 - f/f BOH-TFS-BOH 01/05 AEU 452/3.

Groundloop
29th Apr 2009, 13:44
Be good to see Palmair back in action

Don't think it was ever out of action!

loveJet
1st May 2009, 08:41
So the Palmair B737-500 G-PJPJ aircraft is now operating.

anyone have any pics of it? is it nice? have they had any imagination with the livery??? Been told it has a red tail with white Palmair titles and large Palmair titles on the side of the plane... is that correct?

casadave
1st May 2009, 10:44
Delayed intro into service so B752 G-OJIB covering commitments through till Monday.

PJ is white with a fluttering Union Flag on the tail - large red PALMAIR name covers two thirds of the fuselage length - website address on base of tailplane.

Chille Con Carnie
1st May 2009, 19:23
Last I,ve heard of her
she,s still all white.

Chille Con Carnie
5th May 2009, 20:29
She,s still white but bear,s the Reg--- G-PJPJ

jet2us
6th May 2009, 08:25
Do you know where this aircraft currently is located? It all seems a mystery! Not fully registered on CAA database as G-PJPJ when last looked but is in the process.

Expressflight
6th May 2009, 13:14
Still with ATC Lasham at SEN as far as I know.

Edit: 'PJ was engine running at SEN this afternoon - still all white colour scheme.

Expressflight
8th May 2009, 15:01
The prospective G-PJPJ departed SEN this morning still as G-GFFJ destination LGW.

Thaimike
10th May 2009, 10:17
Area 51.. Thanks for the photo of the new Palmair 737, good to see a based aircraft at last & put all the rumours to bed about the whole issue of who's doing what with what & when!! Plus the assurance that Palmair are continuing to operate a first class service to the local consumer as they always have & always will, possibly to the dismay of some people who thought palmair was on the way out. Be-Jesus say's Ryanair 1 PJ's still bloody flying!!
But 1 question, where's the palmair fuselage logo & fluttering Union jack tail markings?? (casadave)

jet2us
10th May 2009, 18:06
Im not sure about waving Union Jacks yet but i would wait and see I think something might appear soon :)

casadave
11th May 2009, 09:26
A/C will be fully liveried for roll out tomorrow.

Nakata77
12th May 2009, 12:00
Any pics of her?

I'm interested to see if Palmair have had any imagination in designing the livery this time...

Thaimike
13th May 2009, 05:08
Probably not, I can still imagine the same old "all white fuse" Red Palmair logo & something not too grand stuck on the tail, but hey ho it's worked OK for years so why change now, a flashy paint job dosen't pull in punters, but imagination is what does work inside the aircraft with customer care & attention, something that MOL is sadly lacking in!!

casadave
13th May 2009, 05:23
I think they've done rather well - their traditional logo brought up to date, fluttering Union Flag on the tail together with their website details, oh,nearly forgot, a/c named 'The Spirit of Peter Bath' - looks amazing. The Palmair brand is definitely alive and kicking !

FLYboh
13th May 2009, 07:21
Here's a report from the Bournemouth Echo on the new plane for Palmair.

Peter Bath?s plane unveiled with flying colours at Bournemouth Airport (From Bournemouth Echo) (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4363469.PJ___s_plane_unveiled_with_flying_colours_at_Bournem outh_Airport/)

darren13
13th May 2009, 15:57
Great to see the new aircraft,i have a lot of time for palmair,and hope they can ride the current storm out!.:ok:

leisurelad
13th May 2009, 21:38
Well i'm glad that Palmair now have a dedicated aircraft, they have been around a while and have a very loyal client base no doubt with exceptional standards compared to other airlines.

In regards to Ryanair, they are their own worst enemy. As an independant agency, we use to book around £50k worth of ryanair flights each month from various UK airports. Because they are not agent friendly and don't want agents selling their tickets anymore, both of us loose out although we now use easyjet who are agent friendly.
I wonder how much revenue they have lost through agents not selling their tickets ???

FLYboh
13th May 2009, 23:02
Here is a link to a BBC southtoday video clip of the launch of the new 737.:ok:

BBC NEWS | England | New plane for smallest airline (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8048363.stm)

brian_dromey
13th May 2009, 23:22
does anyone know the internal fit-out of the aircraft? Has it kept it's BA interior, or have they fitted something new?

leisurelad
14th May 2009, 10:31
Looking at the video clip of the new aircraft presentation, that must have been one proud and emotional day for everyone at Palmair. After what has been an uncertain couple of months and not knowing who is going to be operating your flights, it must have felt like they had finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope your new aircraft brings you all much happiness and wish the Palmair family all the best and sucessful summer.

Well done guys :ok::ok:

loveJet
14th May 2009, 11:55
yes - it must have been a very good day for everyone involved. a wonderful little airline, a great company. perhaps this year it can win worlds best airline rather than 3rd best! Peter Bath will most certainly be looking down from above and looking after this little airline for long into the future.

BOAC
14th May 2009, 14:21
I'll add to those wishes for Palmair. Pleasant memories of PJ coming on the a/c at departure and arrival on the flights I did out of BOH for him. A true gentleman.

FLYboh
16th May 2009, 20:36
The link below is of a side on view of the new Palmair plane from Airliners.net

Photos: Boeing 737-5H6 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Palmair/Boeing-737-5H6/1525511/L/&sid=23613435519b53b16e0df0d2de9ae271)

adfly
19th May 2009, 16:13
new aircraft looks great, now wheres the second one...

pottwiddler
1st Jun 2009, 18:48
Is it me or is the 'P' of Palmair slightly skew on the starboard side? :eek:

You can't really tell from this picture but have a look next time you see the aircraft, where ever you may be.

Photos: Boeing 737-5H6 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Palmair/Boeing-737-5H6/1530118/L/)

PT

Cloud1
20th Jun 2009, 18:52
Rumour has it that Palmair will be operating a 'substantial' number of flights from Exeter next year. Now we all know rumours can stem from anything no matter how small but it seems to be fairly active amongst staff at EXT.

Does anyone know anything? It would either mean a reduction in services from BOH or a second aircraft?

loveJet
21st Jun 2009, 02:01
Tunisia and Fuerteventura winter departrues

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Flights to two new winter hotspots will be available from Exeter Airport this year thanks to a new deal with award winning airline and tour operator, Palmair.

Departures for holidays in Tunisia, North Africa, in November are on sale from the end of June with Palmair and the company will also operate flights to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands with one or two week holidays from November until the end of March 2010.

The UK based company, which operates from offices in Bournemouth, was voted Britain’s most popular short haul airline last year in a survey by Holiday Which?, the third time in the past ten years.

Commenting on the new flights, Exeter Airport’s managing director Jamie Christon said: “This is great news for the airport team and for those wanting to fly to guaranteed sunshine this winter. Despite the gloomy economic conditions, these new routes may be an indicator of better times ahead and I am confident that these flights will sell out quickly. Flying to two new destinations, and being able see an African destination on our departure screens is testament to the hard work that is being put in to securing new business. We are delighted to be teaming up with Palmair and supporting local Bath Travel retail shops.”

Palmair was founded in 1957 by Peter Bath and the company, which is still in the Bath family's hands, also operates the Bath Travel outlets which now have the seventeen former Tappers Travel shops in the area to support the flights from Exeter.
Palmair’s managing director, David Skillicorn said: “For more than 50 years our company has prospered because of our attention to detail and ensuring high standards of customer care. We believe that in the management and staff of Exeter airport we have found a perfect business partner. This is a real good news story and everyone at Palmair is very excited about the new opportunities for the operation from Devon.”

Palmair concentrates on getting the basics right for all their passengers and they boast an attitude from an era of package tours when there was an emphasis on quality of service and personal interaction with the clients.

MIR (Monastir, Tunisia)

Depart from Exeter: 31 October | 7 November | 14 November | 21 November 2009

FUE (Fuerteventura, Canary Islands)

Depart from Exeter: 18 November | 9 December | 13 January | 10 February | 10 March | 31 March 2010

shamrock7seal
26th Jun 2009, 13:39
What does the announcement of new routes and more capacity by Thomson Airways at BOH for 2010 mean for Palmair?

Competition will now be unleashed on Palmair destinations Monastir and Corfu.

When will Palmair start releasing their Summer capacities earlier? Surely they lose out on many potential bookings by releasing it so late.

MARKEYD
26th Jun 2009, 17:02
You would be amazed at the amount of forward bookings that Bath Travel take over the year with repeat business from its clients . It really is a unique company with many loyal customers booking each year and passing on repeat business to there families and friends each year

Palmair normally wait till each season has finished analize the bookings then publish there brochure , the winter season goes on sale at begining of July and this year have taken on Jersey and Exeter as departure points for a few flights to Tenerife from Jersey and Monastir / Fuerteventura from Exeter

Palmair have seen off Thomson on the Funchal and Faro route before and already work along side them on Palma and Tenerife for some years now showing there is demand there for both companies as they offer something totally different and i would guess that Corfu and Monastir would be the same . Corfu was operated by Olympic Holidays last year and did really well the only reason it was not offered this year was the collapse of European Aviation and no airline was available to fill in this year at short notice , hopefully next summer it will be back

Bournemouth has a unique catchment area and there is room for all 3 carriers at the airport all with different passenger requirements and so far has worked well , long may it continue

adfly
26th Jun 2009, 19:28
would palmair consider adding a second ac to add new routes/increase frequency's?

Groundloop
27th Jun 2009, 09:00
would palmair consider adding a second ac to add new routes/increase frequency's?

Possibly one of the reasons Palmair has survived for nearly fifty years is that they have been very careful to remain a small niche airline and avoided over-expanding. However, when they used European they occasionally used two 737s for a few days a year. This would be harder now as Astraeus won't have spare aircraft lying around on the northside!

Badgermanuk
27th Jun 2009, 09:46
I see that the Flypalmair Website now has mention of Flights from both Jersey and Exeter, interestingly enough whilst there are Direct Departures from Ext there is also a Bournemouth via Exeter Option for the Fuertventura Flight - so I assume the return would be Ext then BOH making it a long old flight (allowing for the stopover) anyone know different ?

FLYboh
28th Jun 2009, 11:02
There are two departures from BOH to FUE with one going via EXE. The main reason Palmair will be doing this is to make the flight from BOH to EXE worth while. It's one way of increasing capacity on the route without having to release a whole plane load. Something FR don't have the opportunity to do, hence all the massacred FR routes from BOH. Oh, and it's free to go to the toilet, free baggage, free in-flight meal, free transfers and most importantly a GOOD QUALITY SERVICE! Beat that FR, NOT!!:p

CabinCrewe
28th Jun 2009, 11:24
Yes, thats all very well, but its hardly a frequent flexible service is it? Theyre almost not worth bothering

MARKEYD
28th Jun 2009, 12:31
They are probably just testing the market out of Exeter so why position an empty aircraft down to Exeter when they can posssibly fill it with some passengers who are prepared to stop off at Exeter on both sectors , they have reduced the price of the holiday on the day of the flight going via Exeter or passengers can go non stop on another day

The same used to be done on the Jersey Tenerife service , passengers flew to Jersey from Bournemouth got off for the day while the aircraft picked up in Jersey to continue onto Tenerife then back in the evening to pick up the day trippers back to Bournemouth

Makes sense to make any sort of cash on an empty positioning sector

Rainboe
28th Jun 2009, 15:36
... and people have the gaul to criticize Ryanair!....and exactly what have the French got to do with this, even though it is their fault? Or did you mean 'gall'?

What is this fuss and outraged reaction that a small quality tour operator is testing the market with a small expansion out of a new airport? Why can't people just wish them well for daring to think ahead and 'out of the box' at this awful time for aviation. One thing people should learn- expansion of service to the public doesn't necessarily 'squeeze' out the opposition. A valid and effecive expansion can actually grow the market. God knows we need that now!

I don't think anybody sees this as competition for that blue and yellow monster that laughingly calls itself 'low cost'! Low Cost MA! '£40 check-in charges' and baggage horrors (and have you seen the sarnies?)- the customers need a friendly and effective alternative, and that is what we are seeing here! People have had enough of the Ryanair denigration and insulting treatment of their own customers and other airlines. Try and wish them well! Go on, it's not that hard!

MARKEYD
28th Jun 2009, 17:00
Have to agree with " Rainboe " wish them good luck and long may it continue from Bournemouth

Palmair have been the back bone of Bournemouth Airport for 50 years and have a loyal following

There is room for Ryanair at Bournemouth as well as has been proved and both operators along with Thomson Air can all work along side each other and compliment there routes

If anything Ryanair have intoduced some really " naff " routes from Bournemouth that will never take off and have also given the airport some routes with little time to expand before pulling them ie . Beauvais , Madrid , Shannon , Wraclaw and Nantes to name but a few and to think that places like Inverness and Cork would work on a 189 seater is really amazing planning and forward thinking !

At least Palmair offer a regular consistant service to a host of destinations and very rarely cancel

Thaimike
29th Jun 2009, 04:00
Totaly agree, I wish Palmair all the best, if they continue to bring in customers to BOH some of them may just try out the other carriers so I don't know what their problem is really, unless it's just the old MOL mindset of bad mouth everyone & kick every one out if they get the opportunity.
I did the BOH to Jersey trip as a day tripper about 5 years ago, I had a great day out & Palmair made a few bob out of a positioning flight, made very good sense to me, so why not BOH to EXE??
Long may they continue, but then we all know they will be around for another 50 + years.
Will MOL & Co I don't think so!!

rog747
12th Aug 2009, 19:15
have been using palmair holidays since they chartered dan air comets !

today i have just booked for next week a TOM flt LGW-MAH for £51 incl my hot breakfast and leg room and 1 bag!
having 5 nts here for 45 euros a nt...
Advertising Link Removed

and Palmair flight back to BOH 24/8 on 'G-PJPJ' for £59 !

cant wait, why bother with staff travel in august?

at least i will get 5 days sun (raining here tonight in london)

thanks palmair !

BOAC
13th Aug 2009, 07:45
have been using palmair holidays since they chartered dan air comets - ah yes! Many the time I chatted with PJ on his regular visit to the a/c on a Palmair sub and he reminisced about those wonderful machines:)

rog747
13th Aug 2009, 07:57
u flew DAN's comets?

BOAC
13th Aug 2009, 11:10
Good Lord no! Not THAT old:) Flew ON one once. This was on the 737.

rog747
14th Aug 2009, 19:30
LOL @ BOAC

well i cant believ my first job was Court Line

yuk i feel old hehe

rog747
14th Aug 2009, 20:08
hi there AAN, sorry to drift off Palmair

yes i left school at 15 (you still could in 1972, just) and i joined in the London offices to begin with, charter contracts.
when Horizon took over or was it v.v.? i cannot fully remember, i was running between LGW, LTN and STN as a runner/rep/liason with the tour operators and ground agents and us at the airline...

i did go to the hangars sometimes at LTN when the Tristars came...

i was involved in trying to see how quick we could deplane 400 pax and get another 400 on in record time lol
was it 3 sets of steps?

regards
btw i left 10 days before the collapse and went to Gibair for a few months then northeast (BKS)
tridents and all that from LHR lol

blueplatinum
14th Aug 2009, 22:01
PALMAIR are now working with Tele-Ticket Advert Link Removed who are playing a very clever game.

They are chartering flights to fill peaks in the flying programmes to various destinations and selling them as scheduled flights.

Here in Gran Canaria we have had various "BMI Chartered" flights in LPA all Summer to coincide with "the Scottish holidays", "the Belfast holidays", "the Gatwick peak" etc. etc.

It is a great strategy and works well for PAX. Good to see Palmair and BOH involved.

Keep up the good work Tele-Ticket.

airhumberside
15th Aug 2009, 12:11
Nothing new from Teleticket there. They have been doing that for a while now. Only relatively new thing is them selling some seats on Palmair