PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Cardiff, Wales

Trislander
7th Nov 2002, 16:13
Hi

I'm off to Cardiff next friday from Bournemouth to pick up my mate from uni. Does anyone have any tips or anything I should be aware of for my flight up there? Do light A/C usually park at the terminal or at the Cardiff-Wales Flying Club? Also what is the total cost of landing/handling/departure? Is there any way of getting this cheaper?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Trislander

Fred
7th Nov 2002, 16:51
I think the last time I was there I paid about £50 all in for a PA28RT including 2 days parking and a navigation fee for the ILS. Can't get this cheaper - handling by Execair is mandatory, but you get a very good service.

tom775257
7th Nov 2002, 17:12
I flew in a few months ago, parked at the Cardiff wales flying club:
total £15.84 all in for PA-28-181. Didn't park overnight... I didn't get any fuel either...
Are you flying VFR? Worth getting yourself the Cardiff CTA VFR entry/exit procedures from the UK AIP (AD 2-EGFF-4-1)
cheers,
tom.

Rusty Cessna
7th Nov 2002, 17:41
If VFR from Bournemouth I beleive the VRP to join is minehead, then the short pop across the wet bits, thats what I did.

Rusty.

The Nr Fairy
7th Nov 2002, 18:04
And don't confuse Cardiff and St Athan. An MD-80 crew on PT did, so at least I'm in illustrious company !

Mariner9
8th Nov 2002, 08:20
From the south east, I usually route to Weston SMare, remaining just south of Bristol CTA. Cardiff Approach will probably require you to route north of the islands (Flat & Steep Holm) to the coast just east of Barry. From there it'll be join right base for 30 or left downwind for 12

Request handling by the flying club on the S Side - it's much cheaper. And dont get put off by all the bent & battered light A/C on the apron, they're as a result of recent storms & not our formula 1 fuel truck driver :D

Trislander
8th Nov 2002, 13:36
Cheers guys.

I assume I request parking at the flying club upon landing, or do I have to phone them first to arrange this?

I am flying VFR. I only plan to stay for a couple of hours max, and will be uplifting no fuel. Does anyone know where abouts the flying club is located in relation to the terminal? Looking at a CAA aerodrome diagram it does not point out where the club is.

Mariner9: I know what you mean- we've got a few fuel truck-driving wannabe formula 1 drivers down here too!

Thanks for all your help.
Regards,
Tri

LowNSlow
8th Nov 2002, 14:09
The taxiway to the flying club is opposite the terminal or at least it was when I went there on my QFC many moons ago. Doubt that they've moved it :D

28thJuly2001
8th Nov 2002, 19:01
If you land on RWY 30 turn first left for the flying club, RWY 12 turn right. Easy :D
ATC are VERY helpful, been flying there for 2 years and haven't been told off once :p

28th,,

BEagle
8th Nov 2002, 20:17
Certainly agree that the controllers at Rhoose, sorry, Cardiff Airport are very helpful and courteous. I go there now and again in either my day job 4-jet or in one of my light aeroplanes and they've never failed to provide an exceptional standard of air trafficking. Thanks, chaps and chapesses - and I hope that the expansion plans for both Rhoose and Lulsgate won't change your highly commendable and amenable attitude towards novices in little aeroplanes!

troddenmasses
12th Nov 2002, 19:34
Although the Notams say that handling by Execair is mandatory(and damned expensive), when you land ATC will ask 'north side' or 'south side'. If you ask for 'south to the club' then take either Hotel or Golf towards the white building there will be no problems. No need to ring beforehand, and landing fees can be paid at the front desk (also requests for fuel - bit expensive though). If you want your friend to meet you there, tell him to follow signs to 'Rhoose' from the airport, then to 'FRP1' which will take you to the fire station gate. We are in the white building on the left. What will you be flying? I don't know whether I will be working there on that day.

Trislander
13th Nov 2002, 13:32
Thanks to everyone above for your help.

Troddenmasses,

I'll be flying in a Robin HR20. Is the walk from the terminal to the flying club a short one? Maybe see you on friday afternoon then.

Cheers,
Tri

28thJuly2001
13th Nov 2002, 13:44
The terminal is nowhere near the flying club, it is on the other side of the runway so I don't suggest you walk :)
You do not have to go to the terminal at all as you can pay the landing fees and do all your business at the flying club. Tell your mate to meet you at Cardiff Wales Flying Club and pick him up from there.
Stay away from the terminal side of the action unless you have a fat wallet.

28th,,