PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Julian
5th Nov 2002, 07:49
Just spent 3 wks flying and during that time got chance to use a friends Garmin 295. Very nifty piece of kit and one which proved very useful on more than one occasion.

Although a bit on the expensive side the database was spot on in the areas we utilised it on both airfields and airpspaces.

Also worked very well at street level :D

englishal
5th Nov 2002, 10:27
Yep I also had the chance to use a Garmin 295 recently, and I was amazed how good it was. Well worth the price if anyone is considering long cross countries....

Cheers
EA

sennadog
5th Nov 2002, 15:00
Has anyone had experience of the new Garmin 196? I'm particularly interested in experience of using it for sailing as well given that theses things are a bit pricey, I'd like to "spread" the costs if possible.

Another question:

As far as downloading does anyone have experience of updating their GPS? I bought a GPS II a few years ago but it is now superseded and I don't want to get into the situation where I'm having to buy a new one every couple of years just to keep up when it should be possible to update it with newer software.

:confused:

Julian
5th Nov 2002, 15:16
The 295 is upgradable via downloads from your laptop.

Sultan Ismail
5th Nov 2002, 17:03
GPS

I have considered purchasing a GPS but have the dilemma of living on one continent and working on another.

Most of my flying is in Malaysia with trips out to the islands, however my home is a few k's from Grand Central Airport, Johannesburg.

Now, do any of you folks have experience of using or rather updating a GPS for different database regions, and is it possible to change back at the end of a trip, ie after flying in South Africa (Atlantic), can I easily restore the database for Malaysia (Pacific)?

I contemplated buying a Garmin 295, but now there is a new gizmo, the 196, which seems to do more, but is in B&W. A recent experience with a friends unit, which was Mk1 something or other, proved that BRG TRK ETA and GS were all one needed to confirm the flight planning, trip log and Mk1 eyeball. The new gizmo's technicolor maps and little aeroplane don't add very much.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Nov 2002, 18:38
Sennadog

Have you had a look at the garmin website to see if there is an upgrade for your GPSII.

Failing that you could contact Garmin and see if they can upgrade it for you.

They have a fantastic positive attitude to post sales service.

FD

(Nope no Garmin share holder :rolleyes: )

Fly Stimulator
5th Nov 2002, 19:36
sennadog,

Obviously our trip to Stoke the other week passed so quickly that you didn't get the chance to play with the 196 in the cockpit!

There was a thread on it a few days ago - here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=70598)

Let me know when you're next at the airfield and I'll show you mine (as it were) :D

a pilot
6th Nov 2002, 18:00
IN THE USA A FRIEND JUST BOUGHT THE GARMIN 196 NEW FROM AVIONICSWEST.COM AT 880$ US,THE UPGRADE SHOULD BE DONE ONLINE AT ABOUT 30$ US,LOOKS NEAT,PLAYED WITH IT IN FLIGHT BUT STILL TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT...