PDA

View Full Version : Shares, how far do you travel?

Rusty Cessna
29th Oct 2002, 15:21
Hiya everyone,

In my ever searching quest to find a suitable share at a suitable distance, I was wondering how far you all travel toget to the aircraft you have a share in, and what you would consider to be the longest reasonable distance.

many thanks for any info.
Rusty.

FlyingForFun
29th Oct 2002, 15:26
Like so many questions, I guess the answer is "it depends".

If I was buying a share in a single-seat PFA aircraft that I was going to use to potter around the local area, I probably wouldn't want to spend over an hour driving to the airfield so I could fly for half an hour.

On the other hand, if I was looking for a share in a complex aircraft that I was planning on using for IFR trips of several hundred miles, a few mintues extra getting to the aircraft could probably be justified.

Likewise, the longest reasonable difference would be much further if I lived in an area with good motorway connections to my airifeld than it would if I was riding a bicycle along mountain roads.

The only real answer is to ask what you think is a reasonable distance.

FFF
--------------

maggioneato
29th Oct 2002, 15:50
Depends how much you like the place you fly from, I drive 60 miles each way, have done today knowing the weather was vile and unflyable,Still enjoyed the visit, and to see the aircraft still in one piece after the weekend. Sad person I am. :D

Lowtimer
29th Oct 2002, 16:07
For me it's normally around an hour's drive (fast car, heavy right foot), whether going to Sywell or Old Buck. Any more than that and I'd proably find it prohibitive in terms of travelling time.

Min Sink
29th Oct 2002, 17:37
I live half a mile from one airfield but drive a whole 10 miles to get to the one where I have a share.

Side Slip
29th Oct 2002, 20:38
I travel about 15 miles. Wouldn't want to be too far though in case I need to get to the aircraft quickly, just like Saturday and Sunday!! (I am the closest in the group) How much rope does it take to tie down a cessna??:eek:

Crossedcontrols
29th Oct 2002, 20:54
As the man said it up to you, I was lucky, ideal aircraft in ideal farm strip, 25 mins by car, 20 mins by bike.
CC

Who has control?
30th Oct 2002, 09:26
About 30-40 minutes drive. The most frustrating bit is hurtling up the M11 and seeing the aircraft, know that it will take me another 15 minutes to get through the lanes to her!

Rod1
30th Oct 2002, 14:58
About an hour's drive. Any longer and it is hard concentrating on the drive home after five or six hours aviating.

Rod

matspart3
31st Oct 2002, 12:40
I become a 'shareholder' tomorrow. 10 minute drive from home or a 30 second stroll from my office...I can see lots of extended lunchbreaks on the horizon...

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Nov 2002, 20:53
Arggggggg Matspart3.

It is just awful to see people like you replying to a post like this.

How can you justify so much good fortune!
:p

FD