PDA

View Full Version : Which airfield on Top Gear?

Cat.S
25th Oct 2002, 15:38
Can anyone identify the airfield used for the tests on Top Gear last Sunday. It's obviously ex-military and looks in good shape, but saw no signs of any aircraft-type activities. Main runway was 25, or 26 (forgtten which). Tried to match an aerial shot on freeze frame with my AFE guide but had no success, so presume it's no longer active.

iainpoll
25th Oct 2002, 15:42
Looked like Boreham, near Chelmsford, Essex. I stand to be corrected...:)

sennadog
25th Oct 2002, 15:42
Dunsford. Slightly, NW of the Gatwick zone. I think it's where the Harrier was developed.

boeingbus2002
25th Oct 2002, 15:50
Dunsfold...the massive sign on the hangar was a bit of a give away!!:D

Nice runway though..good condition..shame to see it lost to non aviation usage!

sennadog
25th Oct 2002, 15:54
My bad - yes, Dunsfold! I've often looked speculatively at it as I'm routing down towards Goodwood and thought that it would make a place for PFLs. Actually did my first ever approach there with an instructor, without going below 1000ft but I can't help thinking that it's now going to be a bit popular with everyone trying to identify the TOP GEAR logo on top of the hangar which I noticed at the beginning of the programme.

It's more like SW looking at my chart too.

:D

iainpoll
25th Oct 2002, 16:07
I definately stand corrected then:)

BIG MISTER
26th Oct 2002, 13:45
Dunsfold is a great place for skidding about in a car. My firm have used it for many years as a safe location for doing the high speed car stuff that would be just too dangerous to do 'live' on a public road.

However its a great shame too that such a great airfield (home to both the Hawk and the Harrier) is now defunked.

They used to hold a display there every year for staff and public and it was very good indeed.

Another great big chapter of British Aviation closes. Shame it cant be put to better use than it already is.

Airfields should have aircraft !

DB6
26th Oct 2002, 20:04
At least it (presumably) means the runways won't be dug up for hardcore or turned into another leafy suburb. Who knows what the future holds?

ifonly
26th Oct 2002, 20:11
Airfield is back in use by aircraft- there have been 1 or 2 GA movements recently I believe.

Presumably PPR .

Haul By Cable
27th Oct 2002, 14:03
... Watching Top Gear last night I saw a few parked Cessnas come in to view every now and then at said Airfield.

Side Slip
27th Oct 2002, 16:19
If it looks like its in some kind of use, I think i'll try and find out whats going there! Could be a good winter alternative to my grass airfield.
I will report back any findings (Should there be any), unless anyone else knows?
I did hear a couple of years back that it was going to be built on, but heard nothing since.

niknak
27th Oct 2002, 21:20
DB6 et al...........

A colleague who used to work there, and who still has industry and local residential contacts in the area tells me of plans to turn the airfield into housing :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: and allegedly, there is some considerable support for this idea from the local authorities.

I have no way of verifying the information, but perhaps someone who is better placed should check it out.