PDA

View Full Version : Good engineers, bad engineers

jayemm
25th Oct 2002, 11:44
The engine on our PA28-161 needs to be zero-houred and the reconditioning cost quoted is around £9.5k.

The diagnostic work carried out by the current engineers, who we had just moved to, has revealed a number of alarming legacy issues seemingly missed/created by our previous maintenance company. Frankly, I'm shocked by what we've seen in an industry that, for the obvious safety reasons, I had expected/assumed would be top-notch.

I'm not interested in doing an Ulrika here ;), but I am interested in an exchange of views of experiences with good/bad engineers and most important of all, how to tell one from the other!

bluskis
25th Oct 2002, 13:27
It never fails to amaze when a working donk becomes a bag of scrap metal when any investigation into its interior is carried out.

Engine failures do however happen when airbourne.

Devil and the deep blue.

In answer to the question how do you tell, I am afraid the answer is you probably can't.

Since the BS 9000 quality systems don't necessarily apply to maintenance organisations, who are licenced specially by the CAA, I do not believe any systems exist to measure customer satisfaction or cost effective workmanship.

If such a system did exist, I do not think the industry would let the results become public.

Rod1
25th Oct 2002, 14:20
Every time I have taken an aircraft to a new engineer the following has happened;

Sharp intake of breath, followed by a long list of problems, which, of course, were everybody else’s fault but not theirs because they only just got it.

The problem is, some times they are right! The best bet is to get a reasonable engineer and stick to him like glue. Only way to find one is by several personal recommendations.

Failing that, get a PFA aircraft and do it yourself. If you want it done right you do it yourself has lots of meaning when it is your neck on the line, or at least in the left hand seat!

Rod

Firkin L
27th Oct 2002, 09:42
JM, If a mandatory inspection ( or some other fault) has been missed by your previous maintenance org then go back to them to sort out the issue, I am sure they will be willing to explain/justify or compensate. If you still don't get satisfaction phone the local CAA SRG area office and discuss it with a surveyor.

Blueskis, looking inside an engine, especially a high time or low utilisation rate, will reveal corrosion, worn cam lobes, general wear outside of rebuild limits, internal leaks etc etc - none of these will noticeably affect the engine operation.

Our company is ISO 9000, IIP etc etc but the houly rate is about £45 per hour - most M3 orgs are not hence an houly rate of £20-30. You get what you pay for.

My advice to anyone is to: -

a) Shop around and get at least 3 quotes.
b) Get a personal recommendation from someone who is happy with the organisations quality of work and value for money.
c) All the information regarding AD's SB's for the engine and airframe are on the CAA and FAA websites, check them out for yourself.
d) If you think you are being ripped off or are likely to spend a large amount of money, employ the services of an independent engineer to check the details.