PDA

View Full Version : Touch&Go's

rossco18_uk
19th Oct 2002, 18:19
Hi there,
I have a question hopefully some of you guys can answer. I did put it in a post a short while back, but don't think anyone noticed it.
If you t/o from your home airfield (say no.1) in Class D airspace, leave the CTR, and do a touch and go at another airfield (say no.2) and then return to your home airfield (no.1), do you have to pay for the landing fee at no.2 if it either of the following:-

a) Controlled
b) FIS
c( a/g

Just curious as have not yet flown in the UK.

If you are charged for the touch and go then who do you pay it to, seen as you haven't stopped at the airfield.

I understand you would have to pay for the landing fee at your home airfield, as you are stopping, but does this count for a touch and go as well?

Regards,

Ross

Crossedcontrols
19th Oct 2002, 18:59
It's got nothing to do with A, Bor C.
They either charge or they charge even more. Some small fields don't charge, but it usually listed in Pooleys as to the charges.
Some fields will let you do a bunch of T&Gs for a discount, some others give discounts for training flights. Any ways you have to stop and see the man and pay the dosh.
Most places I've been a member of don't charge for home based aircraft, so It's cheaper doing T&Gs there as long as there isn't a NIMBY problem stopping curcuits.

CC

28thJuly2001
19th Oct 2002, 19:33
I asked this same question and was told the airfield you did the touch & go at will phone your home field and ask for you to ring them back and pay by credit card.
Dont know if he was pulling my chain but it seems reasonable.

Walt,,

jonathang
19th Oct 2002, 19:54
It depends on the arrangement your club has with the field you are using.

If there is no arrangement you should check either in the AIP for the field you are flying too. Or ask when you are requesting Prior Permission to use the field.

Quite possible you will have to land at the airfield and pay the fee's for your Touch and Go's

JohnnyG

Is this Glasgow/Cumbernauld ?

GoneWest
19th Oct 2002, 20:00
As said - not a question of airfield size/type/service...

Some fields will let you do them (or ONE) for free, some will make you stop and pay, some will send you an invoice in the mail (having traced the registration).

I remember Walney Island (Lake District) didn't charge for a touch and go, but did for a full stop (they said it was easier to collect!!).

Some operators have multiple airfields - maybe the Cabair clan, for example - and don't charge at "satellite" fields.

The invoice poeple often have a "Minimum Invoice Fee" and a £5 touch and go (or landing) can cost you £30.

Many places advertise discounts for CASH paid on the day.

(Rossco - send me an "e")

vintage ATCO
19th Oct 2002, 21:17
It really does depend. . . . You must phone the airfield you want to do a touch and go at to check first. Some larger airfields have minimum charges (= an arm and a leg), often different for cash/cheque/credit card. Aslo at some airfields training (which a touch & go would come under) is subject to prior permission. Do check.

HTH

distaff_beancounter
20th Oct 2002, 09:08
rossco18_UK Basically in the UK, all airfields from the smallest to the largest, seem to have the right to charge for T&Gs, so it is safest to assume that you will be charged, unless you have made any prior arrangements.

And certainly, if you do not offer to pay the L/F, it will catch up with you, eventually!:(

As mentioned above, the airfield may well phone your base airfiled. Alternatively, they simply check the CAA G-INFO website, to get the A/c owners name & address, & send the invoice to the owner. And if airfield have to do this, some of them then add on a sustantial "account charge" for L/Fs not paid on the day.

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2002, 09:21
My first land-away was at Thruxton. My instructor told me he knows most of the staff there, and they wouldn't charge us if we did a touch+go.

Found the airfield, did a touch+go, then another circuit for a full-stop landing. Went to pay the landing fees. Bloke in the office glared at my instructor and said "That was a bit sneaky wasn't it, that touch+go? I should really charge you for it, but I can't be bothered." Charged us for one landing, then we headed off for lunch! :) Not recommended unless you know the airfield, though - phone up first and find out what the arrangements are. There are a few airfields who don't charge any landing fees at all, so you can do as many touch+gos as you like. They're mainly the small, unlicensed airfields. Ask around your local flying club - nothing beats local knowledge!

It's nothing like flying in the States, though - you can't generally fly somewhere, do some circuits, then fly back.

FFF
------------

DFC
22nd Oct 2002, 11:24
The best thing to do is to contact the airfield operator in advance and make the appropriate arangements i.e. you pay in advance by credit card or you stop to pay or they send the bill.

The one time this can account for a great saving in the UK is if one wants to get an airport like Glasgow in the log book.

Such airports are required by law to basically charge every user on a relatively equal basis. Thus landing fees are not overly expensive. What makes a visit expensive is the handling fee which you must pay thus pushing something like a £15 landing fee to £40+ including mandatory handling.

If you ring in advance and pay for a landing over the phone by credit card then you pay the much smaller ammount and can either touch and go or land, taxi back to the hold and depart again. You could even possibly change crew!

I have done it in the past with absolutely no problem

Regards

DFC

jonathang
22nd Oct 2002, 23:01
To extend on DFC's point,

You could also request a low approach and go-around, not quite the same. But useful if Handelling costs £70 , no names lol

StrateandLevel
23rd Oct 2002, 19:00
The bill will be sent to the registered aircraft owner. Suggest you make your peace with him/her sooner rather than later. I recall picking up a bill for £1350 for a touch and go!.