PDA

View Full Version : EGPWS Terrain Database Query

320DRIVER
15th Oct 2002, 21:58
The airports available in EGPWS Mk V with terrain Database 429 installed are available on the Honeywell website www.egpws.com.

The question is;...

Are there different versions of the 429 database available i.e. USA region, AFR region, etc. or are all the mentioned airports in the one common database i.e. if it says you have Database 429 installed then automatically you have all the airports listed in the Honeywell site?

ICT_SLB
16th Oct 2002, 04:45
To the best of my knowledge it's everything. FYI there's just been an update (which can be loaded in situ via a PCMIA card by your friendly Honeywell rep).

Similarly the latest EGPWS will normally include all the configurations (input type etc) for all the aircraft types certified with EGPWS so far. This might not include Boeing types as they have some different features.

international hog driver
17th Oct 2002, 10:56
We operatre in remote area's, that said the DB that honeywell uses is not complete.

CASA Australia last year launched an investigation to DB problems and false EGPWS warnings.

These got to be such a problem that crews were getting hard warnings in IMC and carrying out mandatory actions so often that investigatons needed to be made.

Several of our utility aircraft were flown with the inhibit button for nearly all operations that it negated the $50k "E" part of EGPWS.

In the big picture however it is like the old days of having a third set eyes in the cockpit, and will undoubtably save someones bacon.

Blacksheep
20th Oct 2002, 00:31
Could it be that the EGPWS database uses WGS84 satellite mapping? The charts used for flight planning and the map locations of the runways and navaids usually aren't.

Through difficulties to the cinema