PDA

View Full Version : flight planning software

skua
14th Oct 2002, 19:18
I hope this belongs on this forum, and not in computer & I'net.

I have had Navtor for some years, and was thinking of upgrading or changing it. It seems expnsive for what it is. Does anyone have any thoughts on the competing programmes, particularly Navbox?

Thanks

Skua

alphaalpha
14th Oct 2002, 19:41
BRL: Am I allowed to say this?

Skua:

Obviously the flight planning sotware which is right for you depends on the type of flying you do.

I'm a GA PPL flying mixed IFR & VFR in UK and Europe. I have used Navbox for about five years and I'm very happy with it. Briefly, it is easy to use, the update service works well, the publishers respond sensibly and quickly to comments and the service is wide enough in coverage. I have considered other brands, but they don't seem to offer the same value for money as Navbox.

If you want more info about my experience, feel free to email me direct

Mike Cross
14th Oct 2002, 22:34
I use NavBox pro and find it quick and easy. Does your PLOG for the kneeboard, prints out your frequencies, weight and balance, fuel burn, flight plan. Will also upload to your GPS if it's Garmin.

Although I have a Garmin 12XL I tend to use a Magellan 315 because it holds a lot more waypoints so I don't use the upload.

Spoke to NavBox at the PFA Rally to ask about possible Magellan interface and got the impression that the next development was probably going to be to do it all on an Ipaq so you get GPS, colour moving map and flight planning all in one hit in a pocket unit that you can carry in your flight bag, clip on the panel and claim as a business expense!

GPS/Moving map is already on the Ipaq and seems to have reached us via the gliding fraternity - looks good.

I for one would be interested in comments from users.

Mike

The Ipaq

Rod1
15th Oct 2002, 08:02
I started out on Navtor, but switched to NavBox some years ago. I echo the comments of the others, very pleased with it and nice people to deal with. I get the update once a month. The whole thing is very good and very reliable.

Mike C

I also spoke to them at the PFA Rally. The Ipaq s/w looks good but I am not sure the screen is sufficiently large and I think the battery life is only about 2 hours. I wonder how hard it is to power it from the aircraft systems, connect it to the GPS and not have too much spaghetti in the cockpit?

Rod

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Oct 2002, 00:19
Apparently no Flightstar lovers here :(

Have NavBox and Flightstar. Use the latter far more often than NavBox. Find it more user friendly and a lot faster than NavBox.

I would have thought that the way forward is to see which applications are going to be available for the Ipaq c.s. and have one integral system.

Some useful reviews of software for these in recent Flyer issues.

Frank

MAJIC9
19th Oct 2002, 02:46
FWIW I use AirPlan (http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan/airplan7001.htm). It works for me :) For its price, it's excellent (especially the price of updates, which can become very, very expensive elsewhere)

skua
23rd Oct 2002, 18:46
Thank you guys for all your input.

My needs are much like aa's. You have confirmed my thoughts that Navtor sounds like it has fallen behind the curve.

Fujiflyer
23rd Oct 2002, 19:09
I use Jeppesen Flightmap / Flightstar. I like the detail which the database contains as well as the ability to display the standard 1/2 mil charts as a raster image (ie so it appears as if you were using a standard VFR chart). From a flight planning point of view it has proved quite powerful although could do with holding more comprehensive airfield data.

However I find the support from Jeppesen very poor. I have emailed and snail mailed them concerning some bugs which the software contains (inability to remember user settings upon program exit, etc) and to date have received no reply. The updates are also quite expensive (typically £130 for one off Europe update).

Having not looked at any other packages I cannot compare against them although I suspect that Flightstar is probably better if only because it is far more expensive than the competition. The user support is definately a big negative though, given the price tag of the product.

FujiF :(

rustle
23rd Oct 2002, 19:40
Hey Frank, I'm a FlightStar user (not "lover"), does that count ;)

Excellent for doing "what-if" and trial planning.

Nothing beats charts and brain though when it comes to proper planning and plog(s)

Now if only Jepp would recognise that A25 is ODD FL south (amongst others), one could use it as intended :p

sennadog
24th Oct 2002, 18:14
A few additional questions:

Who makes this software? I've found a lot of sites which sell it but no reference to the manufacture.

From the sounds of it, Europe is well covered but are there add -ons available for Southern Africa as well?

Am I right in thinking that your PLOG is printed out for you?

How much time does it save compared to the traditional method?

Cheers.

alphaalpha
25th Oct 2002, 09:52
Sennadog:
I'm not sure which software you're referring to, but if its Navbox look here: www.navbox.nl/

I have only used NavBox for Europe (I use Navbox Pro).

Navbox prints the plog in a simple or more complete format, your choice. Also frequencies COM & NAV; RNAV; W&B; Flightplan; etc.

You can pick up previously used routes. In which case it takes two minutes to input new wind information and you have a new plog. A new route takes about half the time (a guesstimate) compared to manual methods, maybe less, for the plog and perhaps only 10-25% of the manual time required to list frequencies needed.

There are lots of features and two versions, one cheaper than the other. Best look at the web site for all the details.

Edited to add:
If it's Flightstar you're interested in look at the Jepp site
www.jeppesen.com