PDA

View Full Version : GA activity - M4 motorway nr High Wycombe turning??

propjockey
7th Oct 2002, 16:52
Guys,

travelling back in the bus from Reading to LHR last week I noticed a large number of GA a/c in what appeared to be approach config's heading away from the motorway around the High Wycombe turn (think thats right - not my part of the world!) - they all seemed to head towards the M4 - do a right turn as they approached the road and then head away from motorway before doing another right and out of my sight. They all appeared to be fairly low (cct height??)

Anyone got any ideas - noticed couple PA28's and C15X all at the same time, damm coach was going too fast to see much!

anyone know where they are flying out of??

regards

Simon

Simon W
7th Oct 2002, 16:57
Wycombe Air Park on the runway 25 circuit?

Ignore what I just typed, complete rubbish! ;-) The person below is correct.

Fly Stimulator
7th Oct 2002, 17:48
If it was near the M4 (which it would have been, unless your bus was taking a very odd route from Reading to Heathrow) then it was almost certainly White Waltham traffic which you saw.

Wycombe Air Park (Booker) is indeed close to High Wycombe, just off the M40, but you'd have to be doing a very extended circuit to be over the M4 at circuit height for them!

A and C
8th Oct 2002, 07:05
Some of them at booker could get as far as the M4 wile trying to stay in the circuit !

Wycombe
8th Oct 2002, 08:04
A & C,

We at Booker would fly normal circuits just like everyone else, if it wasn't for NIMBIES (rwy 25 circuit) and glide-clear considerations (rwy 07 circuit).

I believe there is a limit of "5 in" for the Wycombe circuit, but because of the climb-out track we must follow from 25, it does feel like you're almost overhead Henley before turning crosswind sometimes ;)

FlyingForFun
8th Oct 2002, 08:38
I agree, that would definitely be White Waltham.

Junction 8/9 of the M4 is the A404M, which does go towards High Wycombe, and I believe is sign-posted to say so, but it's a good few miles away. However, the junction itself is on the edge of the Waltham ATZ.

The published circuits for runways 25 and 21 parallel the M4 just west of the junction. The published circuits for runways 07 and 03 involve heading towards a junction on the A404M before turning cross-wind. And the published circuits for runways 11 and 29 involve turning (base for 29, cross-wind for 11) well before the M4/A404M junction in order to remain inside the ATZ and not give Heathrow Approach too many heart attacks! All the circuit details are on their website (http://www.wlac.co.uk) - see if you can figure out which runway they were using the day you were there! :D

If you want to see traffic from Wycombe, you'll nee to drive along the M40, not the M4, as Fly said.

FFF
-------------

propjockey
9th Oct 2002, 17:23
Ah right guys thanks!

just saw all these nice aq/c flying around and wondered where they were coming from !

The bus was on the M4 heading back to LHR from Reading.

I wasn't particularly spotting but I as a student PPL at EGPK I am always on the lookout!

Thanks for info!

maybe one day when I get my PPL I'll get a ride out to W.W and have a trip.

Any White Waltham PPRUNER's here?? Anyone fancy giving me a trip sometime - will offer a return trip from the frozen north when I get my ticket!

I did meet a very nice gentleman on the LHR-GLA shuttle the other month who flies out of W.W - I thought it was closer to Reading!

thanks all anyway!

Wide-Body
9th Oct 2002, 20:02
Drop me a private e-mail. Often at WW and if there is a spare seat then ok;)

IFollowRoads
9th Oct 2002, 23:35
If the a/c were turning to the right, it must have been R29 in use, as its the only right hand circuit at WW. Typically come downwind SE parallel with the A404 towards the M4, onto base before the junction, and then turn final over, or just North of the M4.

The circuit diagrams can be found at http://www.wlac.co.uk/wlacjoin.htm if you want to look at it further.

(Another based at WW. Message me for a beer or flight from there when you're next going to be in the area)

FlyingForFun
10th Oct 2002, 08:51
Or PM me for another offer of a ride any time I'm flying and don't have another pax.

FFF
--------------