PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Flight

Whirlybird
6th Oct 2002, 21:56
A couple of months ago I met a balloon pilot, and asked him if he'd like to swop a balloon flight for a helicopter flight; he said he would. I've been so busy that I forgot all about it. But today I got a phone call from Lee, the balloon pilot; was I free this afternoon. Well, I never ever turn down free flying, especially in something new. So this afternoon found six of us at Rednall Airfield, lugging a huge hot air balloon in a bag, and an even heavier basket, off the back of a truck.

The first job was to inflate the balloon. Never again will I complain about how long it takes to get a helicopter out of the hangar and do the A check. With a balloon, you have to build your aircraft first. We straightened out the balloon on the ground, then had to blow cold air into it to inflate it. I was in charge of the fan, Kathy and the truck driver (who's name I've forgotten), held the balloon, Rob heated the air with the burners (or whatever you call them), while Lee supervised the whole thing. It took ages, but finally this massive balloon was ready.

Before that we'd worked out where we were going. We'd also had a briefing. We'd stood in the middle of the field to decide on the wind direction - really high tech, that. Then, using an OS map with airspace details marked on it (great idea, I want one) we worked out where to go. Or rather, where the balloon would go by itself. The only steering you can do is up and down, which means you can veer a bit if you go higher, and vice versa. Otherwise you go where the wind carries you.

Finally it was all ready, and we all scrambled into the basket. The usual sort of pre-flight checks, and then we took off and rose slowly to 500 ft agl; the only instrument this aircraft has is an altimeter. I'd volunteered to map read - very easy at around 10-15 kts since I'm used to doing it at 80 kts and flying a helo at the same time. We then spent a pleasant hour or so floating gently over the countryside towards Oswestry, from where we'd started out in the first place. I pointed out when we were over a "complainer's" property, so we climbed another 500 ft. Rob was in charge of the burners (or whatever you call it that heats up the air) and we complained at the noise, as other than that it's all totally silent and very peaceful. Lee gave instructions, and answered my questions - you can theoretically take off in wind speeds of up to 20 kts :eek: but no-one does; more than 5-7 kts just isn't fun; I can't remember that else I asked.

Finally - and it took ages - we reached the Oswestry area, and tried to find a field to land in - no animals, no crops, no power lines; the usual sort of stuff. You approach by letting out air. I asked Lee how you judge the approach; he laughed and said you just hope you get it right. It looked a little more organised than that, but only a bit. It felt very steep to me - a bit like a helicopter vertical letdown. The landing was very gentle though, surprisingly so.

Then we had the major operation of dismantling the balloon, asking the landowner if we could drive on to the field to put it all on the truck, then heading for the pub, and finally back to the Lindstrand balloon factory, where we'd started. Everyone who works there gets to fly for free, but Lee said very few of them take it up.

So, how was it? It was fun. Very peaceful, and a totally different sort of flying to anything I've ever done. I don't think it really grabs me - though it might if I was in charge; I never really like being a passenger. But I won't be getting a balloon PPL; I think I'll stick to helicopters.

So, there's very little I haven't flown in now. Only airships...and they do make those at Lindstrand Balloons. Hmmm....can I wangle that one do you think?

BRL
6th Oct 2002, 22:04
Next week, Whirly goes to NASA.
"I was just asking the bloke who flys the shuttle if he wanted a go in my helicopter, imagine my suprise when................." :p :D

FlyingForFun
7th Oct 2002, 09:28
Whirly, I can introduce you to an ex-airship pilot who still has lots of contacts, if you like.....

(Interesting fact - did you know that airships are usually heavier than air when they take off? The airship is actually an aerofoil, and generates lift as it moves forward. I didn't know this until the airship pilot who I know told me!)

FFF
--------------

Who has control?
7th Oct 2002, 09:42
Mrs WHC bought me a ballon trip for a birthday,it was wonderful. I wan't overkeen on the 4:00am start, but it was a glorious day. We took off at about 6:30, just after sunrise and long before anyone else was up.

It was lovely, quiet and peaceful. We were only about 1000' up (or less :( ) but no one on the ground would have noticed unless we'd lit the burnewrs, which are noisy. Cattle were totally unaffected (or oblivious) to us but dogs went beserk).
We varied our direction of drift by rising or descending and landed after an hour and about 10-15 miles. The landing was interesting, be basket bounced, toppled over and dragged for a few yards.

I'd like to do a balloon trip in Kenya's Masai Mara, but I'm not totally convinced that the game would not be spooked by the balloon.

Circuit Basher
7th Oct 2002, 15:50
Did the balloon experience from Luxor earlier this year. Great experience (anyone needing to know the balloon company can email me direct to keep BRL happy!) and well worth repeating - attached is a piccie of the balloon shadow over the desert.

Balloon Shadow on Desert (http://groups.msn.com/CircuitBasher/ballooninginegypt.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=43)

Landing was smooth as silk - no bumping around in the basket.:D

Legalapproach
7th Oct 2002, 19:38
Managed to do a parachute jump out of a balloon in Italy this summer. First balloon ride and an amazing experience.

As we drifted across some wonderful countryside the briefing consisted of "Jump if the fields look good enough, watch out for wires and if we can't find you try and hitch back to the airfield"

Freefalling from 3000 ft when you're more used to 13,000 certainly gives a certain edge to the speed of your deployment.

Saab Dastard
7th Oct 2002, 20:35
Whirly,

I had a balloon flight a few years ago which was absolutely fabulous - particularly the landing(s)!

With hardly a breath of wind we came down in the centre of a town - Bordon Camp - but had to take off again, as there was nowhere to lower the envelope. By this time quite a crowd had gathered - wouldn't you, with a balloon in the street outside your house?

They followed the balloon as we tried to drift to a clear green area just beyond some houses, which we almost reached, unfortunately bouncing off the ridge and porch of one of the houses, with the pilot shouting "don't worry, we're insured"!:eek:

A few brave souls narrowly avoided getting squished by the basket as they helped to guide it towards the grass and a splendid time was had by all!

I will long treasure the sensation of drifting along silently amongst the tree-tops and hearing conversations from the ground at a height of a few hundred feet. Sigh!

:)

I want to do it again!

SD

BRL
7th Oct 2002, 22:28
Sounds great, how about a pprune balloon flight? Someone must know someone who can sort it out...........

Whirlybird
8th Oct 2002, 07:53
FFF,

Yes please; do introduce me to your ex-airship pilot!

Big Red L,

I daresay my balloon pilot friend would be happy to take people up in exchange for flights in whatever they fly. He's an aviation addict (one of us!), and likes trying new things; he had a PPL(A) but let it lapse as he couldn't afford it. Working at Lindstrand Balloons, he gets all his ballooning for free. Trouble is, I guess you'd have to leave from the Oswestry area, and it's extremely weather dependent. But I could ask him if people are interested; I have to contact him to arrange his free helicopter flight sometime soon.

FlyingForFun
8th Oct 2002, 08:14
Whirly,

Just pop over to White Waltham any time at the weekend - he's usually there, either working on the ground crew for one of the Tiger Moth pleasure-flight companies, or just hanging around. Let me know when you're coming, and I'll make sure I'm there too.

In fact, you may have met him already - it's Andy, who was at Sywell on Saturday. Can't remember if you arrived before he left, though???

FFF
-----------

Whirlybird
10th Oct 2002, 14:01
FFF,

Thanks. White Waltham is a longish "pop" from North Wales, so not sure when I can make it. But not rush, and I'll let you know if/when I do.

Aussie Andy
10th Oct 2002, 14:25
I once went on a balloon ride, years ago. Also didn't grab me I think because, while definitely pretty, mostly the flight itself was a bit tame... but the landing was great! More of a crash than a landing, which involved clipping upper branches of a tree in one corner of the field, then crashing into the field, and stopping just soon enough to avoid the bag hitting the barbed-wire fence at the other end - cool ;)

formationfoto
10th Oct 2002, 20:49
Whirly
How can you be so short of passion for further balloon experiences. It is some while since I last managed to get some lighter than air lift in exchange for a rotary or fixed wing ride but I thoroughly enjoyed it. As with other forms of unpowered flight there is a skill level required which the powered types often belittle. I am now regularly treated to low flying balloons over my house as I live on a disused airfield and there are a number of commercial balloon operators in this part of the world. If I had the time and money I would love to add it to my collection of skills and licences. East Anglia to Oswestry is rather too far in the Tiger to offer a sensible trade but anyone know of someone willing to do a swap in East Anglia I would jump at it. Anything which gets of the ground should be promoted as a great freedom and worthwhile. Often in this world of aviation we are too willing to dismiss other sub sectors for me it is all part of an activity which we should be proud to participate in.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
10th Oct 2002, 21:50
Whirlybird
I'm really pleased to see how much you enjoyed your flight :) Hope you get to go again.

I have 16 hours logged in balloons as PuT, but it's mostly lapsed thanks to Foot and Mouth last year (farmers were not pleased to see balloonists at the time... :( )

Since we don't (generally) fly from or to airfields, we sometime feel a little left out of the rest of aviation. However many balloon pilot are happy to do flight swaps, particularly in "interesting" types :)

Big Red 'L'

A Pprune Private Flying balloon flight swap... sounds interesting :D If anybody wants to offer a flight swap, I'll see if I can co-ordinate reciprocal interest form some balloon pilots.

I generally fly in the Great Missenden area, and Booker seems to be pretty balloon friendly. How does that sound ?

Whirlybird
11th Oct 2002, 11:47
formationfoto,

I know, I know - it amounts to sacrilege to say a balloon flight is anything other than absolutely wonderful. It's all relative; I did enjoy it. I just prefer flying practically anything else. Yes, it should definitely be promoted and all that; I agree with you. And I'd do it again if I got the chance. And if I worked for Lindstrand balloons and it was free I'd definitely go for a balloon PPL. But spending hours of preparation in order to drift along with the wind is not my absolutely favourite aviation experience; that's all. And if you don't understand that - well, we're all different aren't we.

formationfoto
13th Oct 2002, 08:24
Whirly
We are indeed all different, and long may that be the case. For some drifting with the wind is no doubt more fun than aeros in a Tiger Moth or pulling off a perfect (and safe)landing into confined space in an R22.

Many of the threads on this forum seek to criticise those who are in any way different from the initiator of the post. Not my intent.

Where does gliding fit in your personal heirachy of aviation experiences?

Whirlybird
13th Oct 2002, 15:27
formationfoto,

I've only had one half hour trial gliding lesson, and when the instructor found out I had a PPL he bullied me into doing a loop, and then I felt sick and he had to land it for me. Never could cope with aeros, although people tell me it's just practice. Anyway, I think he thought I'd find flying around silently far too boring. Interestingly enough, I didn't; I really liked the peace and quiet, far more than in a balloon where you've got the noise of the burners. And in a glider you have far more control of where you go etc too, than in a balloon. I always meant to do more, but I can't seem to manage to find time and money to fly everything. So where does gliding come? I dunno yet, but I think it would be pretty high if I did much more. I think it's something else I could easily get addicted to.

stringfellow hawke
10th Jan 2003, 13:00
Just dragged this thread up from the depths with a search on balloons.

I have a PPL(B) and fly in the Cheshire and North Wales areas. I'm always keen on getting a go in anything that leaves the ground, so anyone who wants to swap a bit of what they do for a bit of what I do, get in touch. Particularly fancy gliders, oh and if anyone can fix it for me (Jim) to be a captain on a 747 for ooh, let's see, the rest of my working life, that would be great.

Cheers chaps.

david viewing
10th Jan 2003, 13:29
Whirly says they don't much control, but I was impressed with how the pilot on my one experience of ballooning was able to point at a field on the horizon and say "we'll land there". And he did.

More than that, he said that he had landed in the same field several times before!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
10th Jan 2003, 13:39
"They don't have much control" :D

Given the prevailing wind direction, no, but there is some skill to it... ;) It's all about getting used to the micro-climate.

Ripline
10th Jan 2003, 21:42
What a nice, reasoned discussion about a "different" form of GA!

Commercial operations aside, you have to remember that balloon flight is generally devoid of any purpose whatsoever except the pure enjoyment of being airborne. Yes, of course there is a considerable skill involved in doing it safely, but one of the major attractions is that it is very much a team effort and almost as much fun for the retrieve as for the passengers! (I did say *almost*).

RTFM , do you think we should ask Helen to have a Club evening for non PPL(B) holders, perhaps during the early summer? This would be an excellent way of allowing pilots in other forms of GA to see what it's all about - it's what got me from gliders into, or rather under, nylon!

We do have an Oakley meet with the micro-light club there, so that's another possibility.

Off to Northern Thailand next week to rejoin my G-BXLP for another hedonistic holiday. At least no-one out there seems to know about Rule 5....not that the rice fields could be considered a congested area anyway :)

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
10th Jan 2003, 22:16
Ripline

RTFM , do you think we should ask Helen to have a Club evening for non PPL(B) holders, perhaps during the early summer? This would be an excellent way of allowing pilots in other forms of GA to see what it's all about - it's what got me from gliders into, or rather under, nylon!

Sounds like a good idea to me :D At least some of the regulars on this forum have expressed an interest. Perhaps TO could help out at Booker ??

Off to Northern Thailand next week to rejoin my G-BXLP for another hedonistic holiday. At least no-one out there seems to know about Rule 5....not that the rice fields could be considered a congested area anyway

Enjoy! I'm off to Filzmoos for the Berg Bash :D See you at Pendly, if not before.

Whirlybird
11th Jan 2003, 11:30
stringfellow hawke,

Thanks for dragging up my thread from the depths!

The idea of another balloon flight appeals actually. :) I live in North Wales, but fly R22 helicopters from Wolverhampton, and f/w (Cessna 150 and 172) from Welshpool. I'd be interested in a swop sometime - maybe later in the year.

LowNSlow
11th Jan 2003, 14:20
I witnessed an amazing piece of flying by a balloonatic in Swansea. It was at a car show near the coast. The field sloped up from the road and had trees across the top and down one side. This incredible chap lifted off from the bottom of the hill and was blown gently up the slope. He then descended to near ground level at the top and due to some air currents around the trees which he obviously was aware of he descended the hill sheltered by the trees. He was actually flying a rectangular circuit and returning to the takeoff point. And he did it for most of the afternoon!! Amazing to watch.

juswonnafly
12th Jan 2003, 13:52
Hi guys, I just stumbled on this thread and could not resist sticking my oar in :)

It is true that to a greater extent a balloon flight lacks the infinite control that fixed or rotary have, however I would argue that it can take a high degree of skill to land precisely on target as there is often no second chance (get it right first time!).

Given advance planning it is often possible to launch with the intention of landing in a particular field 5 or 10 miles away! It is also possible to land on moving targets (and great fun!).

I think the biggest significant difference about ballooning compared to any other form of flying is that it is a 'shared experience'. It is enjoyed by people on the ground and in the air at the same time.

Ballooning is also the ONLY form of flying that enables you to fly just a few feet above the tree tops either safely (slow) or without disturbance (no rotor downwash).

Importantly, each to his own, and we are after all........aviators.

Happy landings

JWF

:D

david viewing
13th Jan 2003, 12:53
"Ballooning is also the ONLY form of flying that enables you to fly just a few feet above the tree tops either safely (slow) or without disturbance (no rotor downwash). "

Not quite true. The way that I got my one and only flight was that the baloonist previously landed in my pony paddock. In the process one of my dogs took fright and went missing for 4 hrs! The subsequent flight was a nice gesture in compensation.

The dog has never forgotten about balloons and stands outside barking at them whenever they appear on the horizon, which is quite often. Worse, it he sees one from the landrover, he will stand on the spokes of the steering wheel to bark at it. Awkward if moving.

juswonnafly
14th Jan 2003, 08:09
david viewing...

and your point is .......????????